Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 08:05 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,491,223 times

Advertisements

I think so. We do have our share of nutjobs and transients (no offense). Would be a horrible thing to experience. Not even sure how a city can prevent that kind of scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 08:17 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,610,537 times
Yes, I think it absolutely could happen here. Unfortunately, I don't know how those sorts of things can be prevented. Emergency personnel have all kinds of plans for all kinds of situations, but it doesn't help when there is no way of knowing where or when.

This was a horrific tragedy. I feel terrible for all the families involved.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:20 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,312,592 times
It could happen anywhere. There's really nothing you can do to prevent stuff like this, unfortunately.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:35 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,027,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
It could happen anywhere. There's really nothing you can do to prevent stuff like this, unfortunately.
Exactly, it's not geography specific. All in all humans are a pretty twisted species.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:07 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,313,842 times
This is what happens when the Gov is disconnected and is there for "social status only"! There are a lot of ppl out there who have nothing to lose like this guy and it can happen anywhere, people are pissed....do I need to remind you of the $73 million dollars spent to become Governor here in Florida? do you think that should be the "norm"? in what other country have you ever heard of such amounts being spend to join the political scene? That guy was no transient...as a matter of fact, transients are busy transiting...people who carry acts like these are locals, fed up with the crap the Gov is feeding us.
Don't you remember the Oklahoma bombing? those were no transients!

Old 01-10-2011, 09:24 AM

463 posts, read 1,053,854 times
As few of the posters mentioned before, this is definitely not a region issue, and unfortunately, there is no way in preventing this. There are a lot of mentally unstable people who are not capable of rational decisions and can't understand when they should draw a line. One of the ways to cope with this would be to tone down political speeches and stop calling for opponents heads. For normal people it might not do anything if you place corsair over some political figure, but for mentally unstable person, that might signify a target and an opportunity to show their "support" for particular party (not necessarily a political party )

Old 01-10-2011, 09:27 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,312,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
This is what happens when the Gov is disconnected and is there for "social status only"! There are a lot of ppl out there who have nothing to lose like this guy and it can happen anywhere, people are pissed....do I need to remind you of the $73 million dollars spent to become Governor here in Florida? do you think that should be the "norm"? in what other country have you ever heard of such amounts being spend to join the political scene? That guy was no transient...as a matter of fact, transients are busy transiting...people who carry acts like these are locals, fed up with the crap the Gov is feeding us.
Don't you remember the Oklahoma bombing? those were no transients!

Gayle Gifford is actually a proponent for tearing down political boundries for the common good of the people.

Of all the crappy politicians in the country, this is probably one of the people this shouldnt have happened to- if you want to look at it from your perspective.

Timothy McVeigh was not from Oklahoma. He was from NY before serving in the military, although I agree that someting like this is NOT location specific, and has nothing to do with the transient nature of a city. I am actually rather taken back that BucFan even suggested it, as I consider him as one of the more respected posters on this forum.

No doubt there is something wrong with the political climate in this country, but Gayle Gifford was a pretty crappy target.

Last edited by craigm1841; 01-10-2011 at 09:44 AM..

Old 01-10-2011, 10:51 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,491,223 times
The transient comment revolves around people isolated from the community and without ties to the community - and without remorse to the community for acts such as the one committed by the loon in Ariz. I'd be interested to see what kinds of crimes cities like Tampa (with a transient population) has compared to other cities with a more permanent population.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:02 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,312,592 times
Tampa-St. Pete seems to have humorous sorts of crime. Things like a seventy year-old bankrobber and a drunk guy getting arrested for wandering around Seminole in a bikini. Some crimes are deadly--Hiccup Girl and that one where a motorcyclist crashed into a man in a wheelchair, but only the motorcyclist died--but you still have to sort of laugh at how ridiculous everything is.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:33 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,312,139 times
ferret-

Strangely, you are definately correct. I have honestly seen some of the most bizzare crimes since moving here. If you go to a news website and click on "odd news" there is a good chance the story is out of Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay