Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2012, 05:17 PM

5,979 posts, read 7,387,456 times

Advertisements

This is a tale of the proverbial trees that encroach onto my property and who's responsibility it is to maintain them.

Here's the deal:

I live on a property that borders a heavily wooded area. The heavily wooded area is owned by my HOA and is part of a common park for ours and an adjacent neighborhood (who shares ownership of the park with us.)

There are a number of large trees, some of which are dying, that are located on the park property next to mine. In the next year or two, I am almost positive that one or more the limbs on the dead tree(s) will fall, as some have already, and possibly damage my house in the process.

I realize that as a property owner, I can legally trim the portions of the trees that encroach on (over) my property. However, I do not have the ability to do this myself, nor financial resources to pay for an arborist to do it.

Since these trees are not growing on my property, but that of the HOA, I have asked them to trim them. The initial response has been, "You can trim anything that's over your property, but we don't pay to trim trees."

I have received advice that I should do the following:

Write a letter to the HOA expressing my concerns about the encroaching trees with any and all documentation I can produce, such as pictures. In this letter I should request that they trim the trees so that they do not extend over my property. Should they choose not to do so, if any damage should result to my home or property from said trees that encroach, I will consider this as notification of my concerns and if any failure to act on their part results in damage(s) I will hold them and their insurer liable.

I should copy their insurance company as well as mine at the same time.

I am waiting for a response from the HOA attorney for a final ruling before I send the letter.

I am curious to know if anyone out there has encountered similar situations, and if so, how was it resolved?

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 05:27 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,128,667 times
Pretty sure you are out of luck. HOA legally doesn't have to do anything... probably won't and likely has more money to spend in court than you do.

Call someone on craigslist to trim the trees. It may be less than you think.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
Pretty sure you are out of luck. HOA legally doesn't have to do anything... probably won't and likely has more money to spend in court than you do.

Legally they may not have to do anything, but if I put them on notice that the trees could potentially pose a threat to my property, their insurer will be on the hook should they choose to do nothing and damage results.

For what it's worth, the HOA has a surplus of $60k. I just went through their balance sheet. They can afford a few thousand to avert potential liability. At least that's I suspect will happen when their insurer is put on notice.

RM

Old 05-04-2012, 06:31 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,076,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post

DO NOT DO THIS, if you hire a private party to cut trees and they do damage or are injured themselves, YOU(or your insurance company) will have to pay damages, possibly thousands/hundreds of thousands.

If you hire anyone, make sure it is a real tree cutting company and they can prove license, insurance/bonding.

If the HOA knows or should know about the tree's condition(diseased/rotted,etc), yes, they will have to pay for any damage, but any regular "act of god" stuff is taken care of by your insurance.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:18 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,284,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
DO NOT DO THIS, if you hire a private party to cut trees and they do damage or are injured themselves, YOU(or your insurance company) will have to pay damages, possibly thousands/hundreds of thousands.

If you hire anyone, make sure it is a real tree cutting company and they can prove license, insurance/bonding.
But a "real" tree company won't cut the trees on land that the client doesn't own. The poster is in a real pickle.

If it was me, I'd have an attorney send a letter. If there is no response, I would do it myself or hire someone to do it on the sly. You have to weigh the high probablility of the trees doing real damage vs the minisclue chance of worst-case-scenario. Then again, I don't stay awake at night thinking about people filing nuisance lawsuits against me.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:20 AM

I will say that the advice I received was from my attorney, who is also the spouse of an HOA president (not mine), so he has direct knowledge of the scenario and has dealt with similar situations.

I am just curious to know if others on the list have encountered similar situations and how they dealt with them.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay