Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 07:14 PM

143 posts, read 241,506 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've read a lot of the similar threads here and there's some great information but I'm hoping for something a little more specific to my situation.

We currently live in Canada, just east of Toronto. The company my wife works for would really like her to relocate to Tampa, she would be working right near Tampa International Airport. We don't have to relocate but it gives her more opportunity to advance her career and it sounds like an interesting life experience to me. I am an Electrician (with some specialties) and would be looking for a job when we got there if we do move. Any idea what the job market is like for the trades?

Deciding where to live is the other concern. My wife likes the city, I don't. Currently we live in suburbia as a compromise and will be looking for the same when we move. It appears that areas like Lutz and Riverview are the more popular areas? We will be looking to buy a house (probably $300k to $350k range) and have a 8y.o. daughter so good schools are important. I've been trying to get a handle on what commute times would be for my wife if we were to live in one of the areas I mentioned. I've been looking at google maps w/traffic to see what it's like during rush hour. I don't know how accurate it is but it seems that a normal 20min drive would be 30mins to Lutz and a usual 30min drive would be 40 mins to Riverview. Are these in anyway accurate? If so it doesn't seem too bad but I guess that all depends on what you're used to.

Apparently hurricane and flood insurance can be a big deal too but it sounds like we would be far enough inland to not have to worry too much about costs. Also it seems that nearly all newer houses are in HOA communities. I've been researching what they are/do and have read some real horror stories. I'm sure these people are a minority but I'd like to double check what the situation is with those. I've been trying to find some documentation as to what the typical rules and associated costs are with respect to HOA's but haven't found anything.

Any information would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 07:19 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,322,865 times
There isnt really "the city" here. You have varrying areas of nice suburbia, the ghetto and the country

Old 04-23-2012, 07:34 PM

7 posts, read 16,764 times
lutz is a nice area and not far from the airport

Old 04-23-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfoot View Post
lutz is a nice area and not far from the airport
Lutz is not far from the airport? I guess if you dont consider 30 minutes on a good day "not far"

Old 04-23-2012, 08:01 PM

So is 30 minutes a typical commute time to Lutz then? I just used Lutz as an example to get a feel for the area (as in the north) and to get an idea of commute times. AFAICT the taxes are cheaper to the north of the city rather than to the east (like Brandon, Riverview, etc.). I have seen areas like Carrollwood and Northdale recommended as well.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_M View Post
So is 30 minutes a typical commute time to Lutz then? I just used Lutz as an example to get a feel for the area (as in the north) and to get an idea of commute times. AFAICT the taxes are cheaper to the north of the city rather than to the east (like Brandon, Riverview, etc.). I have seen areas like Carrollwood and Northdale recommended as well.
During rush hour? No, 45 minutes depending where in Lutz you live, it's a large geographic area

Old 04-23-2012, 10:10 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,464,436 times
I live just North of Lutz in Land O Lakes. You can take Veterans Expressway (Toll Road) for about 2 dollars each way. Travel gets a little thick during rush hour, but it really is not that bad.
My recommendation is scratch Riverview. Your wife will not be a happy commuter as she will drive through the city to work and back through the city after work. She may be very angry when she gets home.
I don't know about employment for Electricians but my neighbor right across the street from me is one and owns his own company. I can ask if you'd like.
Lutz, Westchase, East Lake, even a little further North into Pasco County is Odessa, Land O Lakes and Wesley Chapel. There are some very nice places in that price range all over.
Good Luck. My wife grew up in Buffalo and she is much happier with the Sun, Heat, and Beaches for what it's worth.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:03 PM

Gulfer, thanks for the reply. FWIW I'm not trying to buy a house right away. I'm just trying to get a very good idea of what I'd be moving into if we did make the move, so that's why I'm hot on the real estate. Not having to shovel the driveway and having nice weather pretty much every day vs. only 3 months definitely counts for something though! The more I look the more areas like what you mentioned make more sense and I'm going to scrap looking to the east. Someone from another forum that I'm on suggested north St. Petes and Safety Harbour as well. They look a little too 'tight' for my tastes though. I like space.

If it wouldn't be too much trouble I'd really appreciate it if you could talk to your neighbour just to see what the state of the industry is in the area. I'm a licensed electrician up here but I specialize in High voltage, Substation construction and maintenance, Protection and control, Relay retrofits, etc.. He'll know what all that means in case you don't and I listed that just to see if they are marketable skills or if you guys are swimming in people like me down there...

Thanks,
Ryan

Old 04-25-2012, 04:33 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,464,436 times
Ryan, I will ask him and see what he has to say.

As for homes, I just told another person in a different thread to take a look at Zillow - Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Recent Sales, Apartment Rentals, check the rentals vice for sale or sold, and see what comes up. I just looked again and there are purple dots all over the place! It will give you a good idea of what is available in a quick snap shot.

I'll get back to once I talk with him.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:26 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
Brandon to the east of Tampa has some nice family type areas and the commute is not all that bad. I have a vendor I use near the airport and travel there several times a year. Brandon actually just seems to merge with Tampa as one big city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay