Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 08:42 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be moving later this year and I was initially considering an out-of-state move. For details, you can check my post history for why I am doing this. I have recently begun to consider just moving to St. Pete for now.

I was in downtown St. Pete in May to see a movie in IMAX and I loved the area. I hung out around the area for a little bit and could definitely see myself living there. I don't like Tampa much, but St. Pete seems more me if I were going to stay in the area.

I should mention I would be living there without a car. How is this? I've read some other posts on here and it seems is def. doable with a little bit of work. Would I find any other people who do the same thing, or would I be the only one? I understand that most people would have cars, but it wouldn't be as rare as in other parts of the Tampa area. What if I lived and worked downtown? How is the bus system if I wanted to venture out?

I live at home in New Tampa right now, and I work at Publix. There is a Publix near downtown, right? I could try to transfer, but ideally I'd prefer to find another job there. If I could get a transfer then great, but at the same time I'd like to look for something else. I have plenty of savings, and my thinking was that if St. Pete is something I really want to do ... I could start looking for a job soon and move when I do get one. So in a few months compared to not until the winter if I was moving to upstate New York like I was considering initially.

This isn't something I would be living long-term, but just for the immediate future ... so I'm thinking it's doable. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 09:03 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,303,620 times
Living without a car in Downtown St. Pete is doable, but it will require a lot of planning. Williams Park is a giant bus hub and you can catch buses to most places in the county. That being said, unlike a few Tampa bus routes, most St. Pete lines shut down by 8 or 9PM on weeknights and only one or two continue for a little bit past 11; weekend buses likely stop by about 10 at the latest. And yes, there is a Publix on 4th Street South, I believe.

It will require a lot of work, but since you said it isn't a long-term plan, it might work out for you.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:35 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
If you are living and working in downtown St Pete you definitely wont need a car, probably wont need a bus either.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:54 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,319,720 times
Living without a car ANYWHERE outside of a few NorthEast cities and maybe DC is impossible. St Pete? Please...

Old 07-13-2011, 05:49 AM

If our op is living around 5th ave N and 9th st. and works somewhere off Central and 9th St, and doesnt really want to go anywhere then no car is possible..

Old 07-13-2011, 06:43 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,303,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Living without a car ANYWHERE outside of a few NorthEast cities and maybe DC is impossible. St Pete? Please...
Not impossible. Tons of people do it here every day.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:14 AM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
Thanks for the responses. I wouldn't mind limiting myself to the downtown area, so maybe I would only rarely need a bus.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:36 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,283,009 times
Don't forget that if you are near a few of the major hotels, you can score a cab pretty easily. I went without a car in Chicago for a decade and the couple hundred a month I spent on cab fare was much, MUCH cheaper than owning a car.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Not impossible. Tons of people do it here every day.
I remember working at St Anthony's Hospital and living within a 2 minute walk to work.So living carless is definitely doable if the job is in the downtown area. anywhere else in the St Pete area and the lack of a car becomes a problem..

Old 07-13-2011, 02:15 PM

451 posts, read 933,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
I did it in South Tampa for the first three months I lived here and got along just fine. My last area just off of Howard and Westland was 2 blocks from 2 grocery stores, restaurants, pharmacy, entertainment, etc. I work from home and my fiance walks to work. We chose this area because you can live here without need of a car, a lifestyle I had in Chicago for 8 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: