Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 10:30 AM

11 posts, read 18,036 times

Advertisements

We're hoping to make a move out of California and potentially into Florida and are planning a trip to scout towns and neighborhood in late August. The towns we are most interested in at this point are Dunedin, Safety Harbor, and Palm Harbor. We've been to Miami, but not yet to Tampa Bay. We're a family of 4 with 2 young kids and employment is not a concern, since I work from home and can relocate easily. Our plan for this trip is 5 days. What should we make sure to have on our list of things to do and see?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 10:52 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,365,593 times
Depends. Are your priorities when visiting is to find a place to call home and scout neighborhoods, checking out amenities/main hot spots/other attractions, or both?

Old 07-12-2016, 10:54 AM

We'll be looking at neighborhoods where we would potentially buy, yes, but we're not going to pick out a house. Our trip would be more about gaining a general understanding of the area to see if it fits us.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:05 AM

We thought for touring the neighborhoods we would do it by foot so we can get a better sense of what it feels like, sounds like, and we can all focus on the neighborhood instead of driving. We figured we would drive or take public transit to the neighborhood's downtown and walk from there. Does this seem like a good idea?

Old 07-12-2016, 11:26 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,365,593 times
I would recommend that you first drive around the areas you're considering and then decide on whether you want to walk around the main commercial districts and in some of the adjacent neighborhoods. It's still recommended that you have a vehicle though if you're also looking into areas a little outside the cores of those towns, especially since these towns also have your typical subdivisions and sprawl that make them less accessible to far flung foot traffic. I would also forget about public transportation as that's not really Tampa Bay's strong suit.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:30 PM

226 posts, read 339,929 times
I'm a visitor and big fan of TPA w/the dream STILL of re-locating one day. Yes, you will need a car rental-and then walk around the downtown areas of both Dunedin and Safety Harbor. If you're there on weekends a lot of times they have festivals. I would look at the events calendar for August for both Dunedin/Safety Harbor and see what they have going on. The music festivals will also probably help give you a good taste of the local community.

Palm Harbor doesn't really have much of a 'downtown' but they do have a section of really great restaurants. I love Ozona Blue there...fun atmosphere, on the marina and kids can enjoy a dip in the pool they have. Lunch AND a pool? Yep, hard to beat.

From what I gather of the areas, Safety Harbor/Palm Harbor you will have a little bit better schools and more friends your kids ages then Dunedin. Dunedin, I am in LOVE WITH but it is a little bit older crowd. Dunedin also is VERY dog friendly. Beautiful Pinellas trail goes through the downtown. If I had made it out when my kids were younger I would have chosen the other two (check out Ozona in Palm Harbor also)- If we do't' get down there until kids are out of HS, I'm going to Dunedin.

In Safety Harbor- you must spend some time at Phillipe Park- and also J. Chestnut Park-both are BEAUTIFUL and tons of things to see and do. You can visit both the same day, they aren't far from eachother.

For beach-spend a day in Dunedin and go to Honeymoon Island and ferry to Caladesi the other part of the day also. IMO these are a must (I'll be there visiting in a couple weeks).

I'm sure I'll think of more-there is TONS to do but with 5 days I'd maybe start smaller. OH and the downtown areas of both SH and Dunedin are extremely walkable, they aren't that large...they are quirky, quaint, fun, picturesque.

Odd I know, speaking as a local though I'm not...that's how vested I am in that area.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the tips! This is what I have so far. Does this seem reasonable for 5 days? We'll be traveling with a 2 and a 5 year old. Some of the activities listed are for them!

Dunedin
  • Downtown & Marina
  • Neighborhood
  • Honeymoon & Caladesi Islands
  • Kiwanis Sprayground
Safety Harbor
  • Downtown & Marina
  • Neighborhood
  • Philippe Park
Palm Harbor
  • Ozona Marina
  • Ozone Neighborhood
Tarpon Springs
  • Harbor & Greektown
  • Sunset Beach
Clearwater Beach
  • Beachwalk & Beach
  • Captain Memo's Pirate Cruise

Old 07-12-2016, 02:34 PM

350 posts, read 333,560 times
You will fall in love with it all!! We live about 30-45 minutes from all of those........... Best Wishes!!!

Old 07-12-2016, 03:05 PM

226 posts, read 339,929 times
These all look great!

If you CAN get to that J. Chestnut park which borders Tarpon S lake I think-even if to walk around 30 mins or so...definitely worth it IMO. Fit it into the Ozona day. We saw all kinds of beautiful wild life...including a small gator, turtles, birds....just beautiful!

For Tarpon Springs/Greek town -we love eating at Rusty Bellies when we visit.

Clearwater, meh....kids will like it, gotta try it once I guess but honestly you don't miss much IMO. Very touristy but ok if it's your first time in the area.

One other option though -you can take a 45 min drive and spend an entire day at Ft. De Soto, and then come back and spend the evening/sunset at the beach in Pass-A-Grille...makes for a full day but 1000pct worth it.

Do you guys know where you are staying yet? Condo or hotel? I have a great recommendation in Dunedin for a condo on the causeway to HI/Caladesi if you would like more info let me know. Great price, great people, super clean and modern, on the water, includes a boat ride, has kayaks, bikes, everything, all beach essentials. Definitely more comfortable then a hotel-only thing is I think you need a min of 6 days I think.

OH, when in Dunedin you MUST take your kids to Straachan's Ice Cream...you would be a sucky parent if you don't ha!

Old 07-12-2016, 03:15 PM

@overit2 Thanks for the recommendation on ice cream... not a hard thing for me to prioritize since I love ice cream! Thanks for the condo recommendation. I PM'd you about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay