Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
Yes 4 23.53%
No 13 76.47%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 11:12 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,622,290 times

Advertisements

The Rays are a good example of the general apathy in Tampa Bay. People complain because they have to cross a freakin bridge? What a lame excuse. I'll enjoy the dirt cheap tickets until they get smart and leave the area. I'm sure they will find another area that will be more than happy to have MLB and get behind their team.

Last edited by Not_liking_FL; 09-29-2011 at 11:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 05:13 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
The Rays are a good example of the general apathy in Tampa Bay. People complain because they have to cross a freakin bridge? What a lame excuse. I'll enjoy the dirt cheap tickets until they get smart and leave the area. I'm sure they will find another area that will be more than happy to have MLB and get behind their team.

The area is filled w/ transplants from all over the United States who don't want to support their new home team (you call this apathy). The commute time (the bridge) is probably the least likely reason why people don't go the game. The biggest reason is the economy.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:17 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,145 times
The Rays do not have a loyal following because they never keep any of their players around. They are unwilling to pay to keep their good players. It's hard to be a fan of a team when the players change so often. In addition, I am not going to go buy a $50+ Rays Jersey with Longoria's name on it since he'll likely be gone in a year or two anyhow.

The Rays are a decent team. If they would establish some franchise players around I think they would have more fans. Every popular baseball team has certain players that they are known for and they make sure they keep them around.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
The Rays do not have a loyal following because they never keep any of their players around. They are unwilling to pay to keep their good players.
You can say that about most teams today - except the big ones that buy up the best players (NY, Boston, Philly).

Old 09-30-2011, 06:57 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
You can say that about most teams today - except the big ones that buy up the best players (NY, Boston, Philly).
exactly, because those teams can afford to do so.

when there's no salary cap (don't get me started on revenue sharing, since the yanks make more from tv deals than some teams make total), your sport is unbalanced and sucks.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:28 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,282,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Who cares -stupid worthless poll question non-issue - except to say any organization that plants a stadium outside a 30 min commute from the heart of it's population doesn't understand sports franchise management.
BucFan, Will you have the same attitude when Monday Night Football imposes a local blackout for the first time ever?

Old 09-30-2011, 09:45 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,148 times
I dont think its just the drive over the bridge, just the distance from most people who are into baseball period. Its not a very popular sport here in the first place but then you stick it in a stupid place, there's no chance.

I think if it was in tampa, downtown or somewhere in the city it would have better occupancy. I don't know that they would sell out every game still but it would be more convenient for people.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:50 AM

149 posts, read 467,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
BucFan, Will you have the same attitude when Monday Night Football imposes a local blackout for the first time ever?
Exactly, the Bucs were blacked out every game last season and they had a playoff contention run, and guess where they're located...right in the "center of the population".

I think there are several reasons why the stadiums aren't filled, and the "bridge" is at the bottom of that list.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post

No, I'm a season ticket holder. I'll be sitting in RJS watching my favorite team. Having blackouts isn't a bad thing for me.

I also go over the big bridge (Skyway) to see about 20 Rays games a year.

But I refuse to make the Tampa fanbase in all sports feel bad if they can't afford to attend like I can.

No sellout? So what? Millionaire owners can't make as big of a return on their investment as they originally expected. Trust me, Stu Sternberg and Malcom Glazer have no problem paying their mortgage like thousands of our neighbors here in Tampa/StP do.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:17 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,020,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
my excuse is that baseball sucks
That's pretty much my reason too. It's not the drive, I live 5 minutes away in Old NE. And it's not the stadium. In fact I think the stadium itself is more interesting than the baseball that takes place in it! And it's not the transient population issue, hell I was born in Tampa. I remember when they built the stadium. It's just a very boring game is all. Maybe you have to be drunk to enjoy it. Maybe that's the problem, I quit drinking.

Me, I'd rather be at an Oakland Raiders game watching fights break out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay