Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2007, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,913 times

Advertisements

is going to be moving to the area.

I just found this board and I've read myriad threads about the pros and cons of the Tampa Bay area. We live in Boston. Our one bedroom, 875 sq ft condo is selling for almost $400,000, in a bad housing market!!! The traffic here is horrible, it takes me almost 40 minutes to drive 11 miles. The crime rate here is 3% above the national average. For 6 months or so, it is unbearable to go outside of the house. During that time it costs at least $150 per month to heat our tiny condo. And Just like every metro area, we have our own brand of rednecks whom we affectionately refer to as M*******s.

My questions are these: Bearing in mind what I've said, what are the real cons in the Tampa Bay area? My research says otherwise, but can I not get a nice condo for under $350,000? If you had to pick an area within striking distance of the downtown area (where the tall buildings are) what would your choice be?

I sincerely appreciate your input.

-The new guy.

Last edited by Rejuvenated; 06-22-2007 at 12:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 06:39 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,964,108 times
i just moved to tampa from ft lauderdale and originally long island, ny. tampa is soooooo different than south florida which i find to be a positive. so u want cons, hmmm.... i dont know what u work as but it may be difficult to find a high paying job in tampa, pending what u do. tampa is semi run down, it will be nice then gross then nice again. it has a southern feel to it even quasi redneck at times which coming from south florida is fine for me at the moment. the beaches are nice but pinellas can be very overcrowded and tough to get to pending where u live in hillsborough county. as far as florida goes tampa is generally a decent place as far as ive seen. if u can make decent money u can live pretty good here. for 350k, from what ive seen u could find an amazing condo or even very nice home. the newer highrise condos downtown and in pinellas are very expensive (400k-millions) but there are new homes and condos for much less on the outskirts of town.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:46 AM

57 posts, read 196,723 times
There are beautiful condos right across the bridge in Feather Sound that you should also consider. I know a few of them over in that area that are not as expensive as downtown Tampa yet you are just right over the bridge in between Tampa and the Beaches.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:50 PM

2 posts, read 5,517 times
Default tampa pros cons

I lhave lived in california and florida. if u want to know the real estate market in tampa for buyers is very good. You can get not only condos but nice townhouses near downtown in Hyde Park of South Tampa. During the realestate boom some rundown neighborhoods near South Tampa were turn into luxury condos or townhouse. (very urban feeling to them) However, coming from a proggressice state like california i have had a lot of difficulty understanding the southern culture that is so racist and judgemental. ohh, if you don't like red necks, your going to have a difficult time here in tampa. They live just miles from the city and you will encounter them everywhere; they drive their pickups with the confererate flag on the back; they will cut you off; give you the finger; spit at your car. You know what some poeple say that the south is the cultural wasteland of America. Some places in south florida are more proggressive and civilized. Im currently living Miami/fort lauderdale area. The area is mostly compossed of people from the north who come down for the weather and rich latin americans. There are nice places like Weston(Medium income for family is $108k), Key Biscayne ($107k), Coral Gable ($98k), Coconut grove, ohh,Naples has some very nice places too with good schools if you have kids. I bought a 1800 sqf townhouse there for just under 300k two years ago. check them out before you go to Tampa. Tampa is not a glomorous city at all, the only nice places they have are in South Tampa and some beach areas of Pinellas county where i lived. I sold my house in clearwater beach for 2.5M six months ago. Hope you can find a nice place to live for under $350k in Tampa. Good luck!!!!

Last edited by calmaaan; 09-06-2007 at 10:41 PM..

Old 09-07-2007, 05:48 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmaaan View Post
I lhave lived in california and florida. if u want to know the real estate market in tampa for buyers is very good. You can get not only condos but nice townhouses near downtown in Hyde Park of South Tampa. During the realestate boom some rundown neighborhoods near South Tampa were turn into luxury condos or townhouse. (very urban feeling to them) However, coming from a proggressice state like california i have had a lot of difficulty understanding the southern culture that is so racist and judgemental. ohh, if you don't like red necks, your going to have a difficult time here in tampa. They live just miles from the city and you will encounter them everywhere; they drive their pickups with the confererate flag on the back; they will cut you off; give you the finger; spit at your car. You know what some poeple say that the south is the cultural wasteland of America. Some places in south florida are more proggressive and civilized. Im currently living Miami/fort lauderdale area. The area is mostly compossed of people from the north who come down for the weather and rich latin americans. There are nice places like Weston(Medium income for family is $108k), Key Biscayne ($107k), Coral Gable ($98k), Coconut grove, ohh,Naples has some very nice places too with good schools if you have kids. I bought a 1800 sqf townhouse there for just under 300k two years ago. check them out before you go to Tampa. Tampa is not a glomorous city at all, the only nice places they have are in South Tampa and some beach areas of Pinellas county where i lived. I sold my house in clearwater beach for 2.5M six months ago. Hope you can find a nice place to live for under $350k in Tampa. Good luck!!!!
The OP never said they were looking for a "glamour city." While I might agree that Tampa is not "glamourous", your statements about the "rude rednecks" are gross exaggerations, to say the least. There are very few "rednecks" in the Tampa area at all, in the first place; sure when you get outside the city in more rural areas you will find the country folk, but they are as friendly and helpful as you will find. I think your problem is you come off as a snob, bragging about your place you sold for 2.5 mil, and calling the south the "cultural wasteland of America." Moderator cut: personal attackAnd to the OP, you can most DEFINITELY find a nice place to live for $350,000 or so in Tampa. You will probably like the areas near downtown in South Tampa, with it's more "city" feel. Good luck.

Last edited by Keeper; 09-11-2007 at 05:17 AM..

Old 09-07-2007, 06:01 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Having lived in Tampa for 30 years, I think you will find it a nice place to live. If you are going to be working downtown I woud suggest you try and find a place near that area at least at first. You can find a nice place for the money you are looking to spend. You want to be sure you find the right area for you. If you are single or like to to party on the weekends I would suggest S. Tampa area. Hyde Park and SoHo are where the night life is happening on the weekends. There are a lot of restaurants and shops. Downtown is pretty dead at night but there is always Ybor City for night life.
Tampa has its problems don't get me wrong, but all in all it isn't that bad. It isn't Boston or NYC and if you don't expect it to be you can have a good life.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:26 AM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,035 times
You can definitly find a nice place to live for that amount. Regarding the red-neck comments, Tampa is kinda liberal for the south, but if you are used to a bigger city mentality, some things that people say are a bit shocking (especially if you go out of Tampa at all). If you think Boston has some people that you want to get away from (I hate using the word redneck), then moving to the South seems a bit strange...... People are very, very nice here but it's no where as liberal as Boston.

Old 09-08-2007, 02:21 PM

192 posts, read 1,164,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
The OP never said they were looking for a "glamour city." While I might agree that Tampa is not "glamourous", your statements about the "rude rednecks" are gross exaggerations, to say the least. There are very few "rednecks" in the Tampa area at all, in the first place; sure when you get outside the city in more rural areas you will find the country folk, but they are as friendly and helpful as you will find. I think your problem is you come off as a snob, bragging about your place you sold for 2.5 mil, and calling the south the "cultural wasteland of America." And you wonder why us southerners don't welcome people with your attitude down here.

And to the OP, you can most DEFINITELY find a nice place to live for $350,000 or so in Tampa. You will probably like the areas near downtown in South Tampa, with it's more "city" feel. Good luck.
You go Gypsychic!!!!

Old 09-11-2007, 01:14 AM

2 posts, read 5,517 times
For Rejuvenate: I worked in downtown Tampa and, at least for now, its not fully developed for urban living. Maybe if the economy picks up and some developersdeside to continue their with their plans. Like I mentioned before, Hyde Park has some very nice places, weather you want a home, condominium or townhouse. You will still be able to find them. Don't just look for resale home listings look for local developers, like the ones buying old houses and turning them into luxury townhouse because some have a lot of cancellations with high inventory, giving potential buyers more options or discounts on closing cost or even reducing the price.

Moderator cut: personal attack

Last edited by Keeper; 09-11-2007 at 05:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay