Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2006, 07:49 AM

16 posts, read 70,286 times

Advertisements

I am planning on moving to the St.Pete area in January with my 7 year old. I am looking for a good neighborhood to live in and a school for him to attend. I've tried doing research on the internet but have found nothing on neighborhoods. If anyone could help me out before I move that would be great. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2006, 09:02 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,194,310 times
St.Petersberg is a funny place. The coastal areas bordering the water are beautiful. However, the entire interior of Pinellas County is not very desireable. The problem with the interior of St. Petersberg is that its made up of some slums, lots of industrial (back when zoning came in, the big land owners zoned everything industrial, thinking that would be the best use of the property); lots of mobile home parks; and lots of tiny obsolete 1950's old florida 2 bedroom shacks on 50' wide lots. A couple of years ago, I recall walking around the downtown area (which has undergone a substantial renovation), and saw no less than three crack pipes on sidewalks and on a retaining wall. Private school is probably the way to go in St. Pete.

In St. Petersberg, 99% of the people are either very rich, very poor, or living in one of God's waiting rooms.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:18 PM

12 posts, read 100,022 times
We live in St Petersburg....not too far from 38th ave n and it is a very nice neighborhood. Our kids do go to private school. We have lived here for many years and the crime in this area is very low aside from the domestic issues people seem to have. The mobile home parks are turning into condos. There are plenty of nice areas you never have to go to the downtown area. It really has been a nice place to live and our kids seem happy.
We are considering moving to Utah though but only for my husbands job. Its arough decision. My mom is a 1963 grad from st pete high and we all followed so we are long time st pete people but at 35 im not one of the rich, poor or old...just a happy homemaker.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:14 PM

628 posts, read 1,835,095 times
Hi – hope this helps! Moved here from NYC suburb in 2001. St Pete (the City of) covers quite a bit of ground. Located in Pinellas County it goes from the Gulf (St Pete Beach to the west) to Tampa Bay (downtown St Pete to the ease). Although as the earlier post pointed out St Pete like many areas around the country had experienced some urban deterioration, it has for the most part cleaned up and in fact because of the convenient location to anywhere in Tampa Bay - the City of St Pete and Pinellas are experiencing a renewed demand and becoming a very desirable place to live. I also live around the 38th Ave N and 4th Street area. I commute to downtown Tampa Via the Crosstown expressway in about 30 minutes, can be at some of Florida’s best beaches in 15-20 minutes and Clearwater in 40. Plenty of shopping, nice restaurants, tons of services . Can’t say about the schools except that they are not like NY, my kids are grown and out of collage. Also a happy homeowner - Email me if I can help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay