Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2012, 12:44 PM

43 posts, read 186,425 times

Advertisements

Hi!

We are actively looking at purchasing a home. For now, it seems that we could enjoy the market and buy a new home but it would need to be in either Riverview or Gibsonton since our budget is from $150k-$180k. We would love to live in a suburban neighborhood in Tampa but there is none for our budget. The houses that are available for our budget are either too old or in a shady area.

Based on the posts about Gibsonton, and what I saw this past weekend when we drove by it, we are definitely crossing out Gibsonton.

On the other hand, Riverview seemed very nice. It deft. looks like it is still developing but the neighborhoods seem good, clean and orderly. I like the fact that we are close to Brandon.

However, my husband and I will be working in Tampa. He is working near the airport and I will be working in the Westshore area (next year). Is that an OK commute? Mapquest says that Riverview to Westshore is 25 minutes, is that correct? Would 25 minutes be with traffic? How about when there is an accident, is it hell?

Any opinions/suggestions/tips are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 02:35 PM

670 posts, read 1,277,823 times
I make the commute every day and I take the Crosstown expressway which would get me to WestShore in about 30 -35 minutes. Its not that bad of a commute. The airport commute will be the most aggravating because traffic backs up on 275 and around the bend to the airport, so with traffic, that commute could be up to 45-60 minutes. You can take alternate routes and still make it out ok to Westshore. Many people commute everyday all over the Bay between 30-60 minutes daily from Riverview.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:07 PM

877 posts, read 1,913,528 times
It's not a horrible commute. I think it took me about 45 minutes when I did it via the Crosstown. The problem was the tolls you have to pay. Those really start to add up.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:11 PM

272 posts, read 607,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauriemsr View Post
Hi!

We are actively looking at purchasing a home. For now, it seems that we could enjoy the market and buy a new home but it would need to be in either Riverview or Gibsonton since our budget is from $150k-$180k. We would love to live in a suburban neighborhood in Tampa but there is none for our budget. The houses that are available for our budget are either too old or in a shady area.

Based on the posts about Gibsonton, and what I saw this past weekend when we drove by it, we are definitely crossing out Gibsonton.

On the other hand, Riverview seemed very nice. It deft. looks like it is still developing but the neighborhoods seem good, clean and orderly. I like the fact that we are close to Brandon.

However, my husband and I will be working in Tampa. He is working near the airport and I will be working in the Westshore area (next year). Is that an OK commute? Mapquest says that Riverview to Westshore is 25 minutes, is that correct? Would 25 minutes be with traffic? How about when there is an accident, is it hell?

Any opinions/suggestions/tips are greatly appreciated!
I have been showing homes to a client who is in your same shoes. We are looking at homes in Riverview along the cusp of Brandon (33578 zip). To me the location is fantastic because she can drive down 301 for about 5-10 minutes and have access to I75 and the crosstown. We're seeing some really nice homes from 149-170k. (3/2/2 with pool, HOA and no HOA, built from 1997.) Others may argue this with me, but the location is much better in terms of getting to downtown, south Tampa, Westshore etc when compared to New Tampa.

Here is my recommended route from that area to Westshore: Crosstown to Willow exit. Take Cleveland to Armenia and then go north one block to Kennedy. Kennedy to Westshore. You can always cut over to Cypress once you get to MacDill and run parallel to Kennedy too. This is my trusted personal route I've done for years now. =)

I think the time quoted is correct. There are many "outs" if you have traffic issues. For instance if crosstown gets backed up you can get off on the Ybor exit and take 60 in. If Kennedy is jammed up, then take Cypress as an alternative.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:36 PM

140 posts, read 504,517 times
The sub Divisions in Riverview suck!!!!

The way the houses are disigned in some of the subdivisions is retarded...so close together and the windows are lined up so you can see into each other houses....keep the blinds shut or have no privacy...only two options LoL..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay