Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 12:13 AM

11 posts, read 13,365 times

Advertisements

I've been researching the area more for our upcoming move. It looks like the commute from Palm Harbor area to the Tampa VAMC on Bruce B. Downs would be about 45 minutes. That is near the max of what I'm willing to drive, I was wondering if anyone had input about how that drive is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 12:58 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
I'd sure drive that commute for a week before actually committing to buying a house in Palm Harbor and having a permanent Palm Harbor/Tampa commute as 45 minutes is probably optimal throw in the rush hour twice a day and a road problem every once in a while and that commute can get old real fast.Any chance of moving closer to work? Lutz.Land o Lakes?
just my opinion, others may not mind heavy traffic commutes every day.

Co Rd 752/Tampa Rd to VA Medical Center-Tampa, 13000 Bruce B Downs Boulevard, Tampa, FL 33612, United States - Google Maps

Old 08-02-2012, 06:53 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,308,610 times
That would be awful. Traffic in that area where the VA is located is terrible at any time. A million stop lights, people don't pay attention, very congested area. Do drive that a few times during the day, and at rush hour and you'll see what I mean. I have yet to drive through there in peace.

45 minutes is dreamy, and completely unrealistic.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:03 AM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
No way that commute would be 45 minutes. I am positive it would be WELL over an hour due to the traffic. algia is completely correct, area around the VA is very congested and slow-moving.

JMO, but I think you would be extremely sorry buying a home in Palm Harbor and having to make this commute every day. As has been recommended, do it a few times and see for yourself before making a big mistake.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:45 AM

4 posts, read 9,343 times
Thirded. That would be an awful commute, and you'd be wise to avoid it if it's not to late to do so. It's all surface streets without any good interstate/expressway connection, presumably during rush hour. I would guess over an hour each way daily.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:36 AM

73 posts, read 143,620 times
Default From Carrollwood

Hello:
How about the commute from New Tampa to Carrollwood or downtown Tampa?
Is it possible to live in Carrollwood and have a central commute to most places? I hear Carrollwood is very central.
Would you live in Carrollwood and commute to downtown Tampa? or to most places in Tampa for that matter?
How about commuting from either New Tampa,Carrollwood, Lutz,to Town and Country? is this doable?
Please break it down by places so that I can have choices where to buy a home.

Thank you

Old 08-02-2012, 09:49 AM

315 posts, read 652,773 times
LOL @ 45 minutes!!!

Old 08-02-2012, 11:53 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,308,610 times
Carrollwood is indeed centrally located. Town and Country is not all that desirable, and it is quite sketchy. I would not buy anything there.

From Carrollwood you can take Dale Mabry downtown, or 275, or take Bearss to USF, VA Hosp etc. From New Tampa you would have the shortest commute to VA straight down Bruce B Downs.

Here's a map:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ami1331 View Post
Hello:
How about the commute from New Tampa to Carrollwood or downtown Tampa?
Is it possible to live in Carrollwood and have a central commute to most places? I hear Carrollwood is very central.
Would you live in Carrollwood and commute to downtown Tampa? or to most places in Tampa for that matter?
How about commuting from either New Tampa,Carrollwood, Lutz,to Town and Country? is this doable?
Please break it down by places so that I can have choices where to buy a home.

Thank you

Old 08-02-2012, 02:53 PM

485 posts, read 1,012,674 times
People move to Palm Harbor, and have a job in New Tampa, and then they come on this board a year or two later and complain about how "horrendous" Tampa traffic is.

If you are working in New Tampa you need to LIVE in New Tampa or thereabouts. Otherwise you will be miserable in no time.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:08 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,465,430 times
I would echo all of the above. Palm Harbor to the VA Medical Center would be TERRIBLE. I don't know that you could ever do that trip in 45 minutes (unless the road was empty).
Carrollwood to Tampa wouldn't be that much of an issue. Still quite a few lights, but definately better than Palm Harbor to the VAMC.
Palm Harbor is a nice area, but wonder what has the OP convinced this is the absolute best location out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay