Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 08:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,440 times

Advertisements

I am active duty army that is coming to the end of their service and may be transitioning to NPR area. Some friends have mentioned that the area doesn't take kindly to "brown" people, those of hispanic origin. How true is this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 08:45 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,322,865 times
It used to be the NPR stereotype was lots of old people and not much else

Now those old people have died, and meth heads and minorities have moved into their homes and have done their best to ruin the town

It's a wasteland of half abandoned strip malls, abandoned homes and drugs

Old 08-21-2012, 08:51 PM

34 posts, read 91,459 times
My girl friend lives in Port Richey and I've been many times. It's nothing but run down stores, rednecks, long haired bums and low class people and not much else. BUT, I have seen a mix of nice average people too. But as a whole, it's not a place I would move too.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:42 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
You certainly could get the impression of the areas seedy nature if you base it on a trip down hwy19 between Ridge Rd. and hwy 54 but it gets nicer the further away (East)from hwy 19 you get, lots of new developments close to Suncoast Parkway.
As for "brown" designation? the area is rather rightwing going from the people i've met in the area which would be my brother and his merry band of gun totting rednecks..As such you'll probably be immediately be viewed as an illegal,at the very least a dreaded Obama supporter.
If you have a choice there are probably better places in Florida to live,perhaps further north,SpringHill area?Brookesville?

Old 08-22-2012, 03:47 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,651,257 times
I work in Port Richey, know many people who live in Port Richey, spend many hours a week in Port Richey. There are many nice areas of Port Richey and there are some run down areas.
Being Hispanic, Black, Yellow or Green is not going to be a problem at all.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:05 AM

30,436 posts, read 21,280,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
It used to be the NPR stereotype was lots of old people and not much else

Now those old people have died, and meth heads and minorities have moved into their homes and have done their best to ruin the town

It's a wasteland of half abandoned strip malls, abandoned homes and drugs
Dead on!

Old 08-22-2012, 05:38 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,206,774 times
As with any area there are good and bad areas. I have a friend who lives in NPR and he loves it there. They have a young child too.

Would I recommend you live in NPR and work in Tampa 'no' but there are still a lot of seniors who live there. There is also Trinity which is east of NPR and very family friendly. Tampa bay if very diverse, there are lots of hispanics mainly from Cuba or PR>

Old 08-23-2012, 10:23 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Absolutely. The few problem areas are on the west side of 19 away from the down town area and the rest of a nice FL town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You certainly could get the impression of the areas seedy nature if you base it on a trip down hwy19 between Ridge Rd. and hwy 54 but it gets nicer the further away (East)from hwy 19 you get, lots of new developments close to Suncoast Parkway.
As for "brown" designation? the area is rather rightwing going from the people i've met in the area which would be my brother and his merry band of gun totting rednecks..As such you'll probably be immediately be viewed as an illegal,at the very least a dreaded Obama supporter.
If you have a choice there are probably better places in Florida to live,perhaps further north,SpringHill area?Brookesville?

Old 08-23-2012, 01:29 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,322,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
I work in Port Richey, know many people who live in Port Richey, spend many hours a week in Port Richey. There are many nice areas of Port Richey and there are some run down areas.
Being Hispanic, Black, Yellow or Green is not going to be a problem at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Absolutely. The few problem areas are on the west side of 19 away from the down town area and the rest of a nice FL town.
The only nice areas are around the cotee river east of 19, and a couple places here and there.

Last edited by Sunscape; 08-23-2012 at 08:59 PM..

Old 08-23-2012, 04:23 PM

30,436 posts, read 21,280,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
The only nice areas are around the cotee river east of 19, and a couple places here and there.

SH: you have zero credibility here
There are a few baller homes on the coast along Portrichey that are nice, but VERY FEW. Most of the places west of US19 are run down dumps like Westport and places just to the east of US19. Best news i have had in ages, the dulpex that has had over 200 calls to the police is for sale in Westport. I would love to buy it just to burn it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay