Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 11:59 PM

8 posts, read 11,435 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, Ive been reading up on the area, visited MANY times, Im currently living in NC. Thinking about relocating to st pete or clearwater area. Situation: needs to be cheap, found some nice places (in my opinion) on hotpads. Ill be asking you all about the specifics of those later, but todays question is; jobs, are they available, attainable, sustainable. Im in retail now, I can do anything up to asst mgr, lead positions, cashiering, merch, customer svc, paint, pest control, sales, just cant lift or twist, have a bad back from an old surgury. Im 43, female, not afraid to get my hands dirty or sit at a desk and talk on the phone. I dont make alot of money right now, never really have, so Im looking at places to live in the 450-500 a month range, therefore need a(one or two) decent job pt-ft to make enough to pay the bills and get by. Where do I start looking, what is best way to search? Maybe this is stupid but I need to know how to get started. I seriously want to move to FL, I know Ill be able to come up with money to get the place, and get moved in, but after that,...there wont be any to live on without a paycheck. Any ideas and suggestions helpful. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 12:28 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,467,784 times
One of the very best sites I have found for the type of jobs you are asking about is snagajob.com. GOOD LUCK!! You sound like you are willing to do what it takes to make the move work and for that I say ... GOOD FOR YOU!!!

Old 12-16-2012, 02:51 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,906,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedThaSun View Post
Maybe this is stupid but I need to know how to get started. I seriously want to move to FL, I know Ill be able to come up with money to get the place, and get moved in, but after that,...there wont be any to live on without a paycheck. Any ideas and suggestions helpful. thanks.
It's not a good idea to relocate anywhere where you'll only have enough money to find a place to live and then be broke, especially in Florida without a job lined up. There are many people that have been looking for years for jobs.

However, if you're dead set on relocating to Florida, look into extended stay hotels as they're generally cheaper than renting and having to have utilities cut on and paid for.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:24 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,316,137 times
Unfortunately that pay range for a place will place you in crack towns here IF that. Maybe save some money while you have a job, make a monthly goal to save for this move, and then move with a cushion. Wanting to move, and making a successful move are two very different things!

Old 12-16-2012, 07:40 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,924,822 times
Quote:
Hi Everyone, Ive been reading up on the area, visited MANY times, Im currently living in NC. Thinking about relocating to st pete or clearwater area. Situation: needs to be cheap, found some nice places (in my opinion) on hotpads. Ill be asking you all about the specifics of those later, but todays question is; jobs, are they available, attainable, sustainable. Im in retail now, I can do anything up to asst mgr, lead positions, cashiering, merch, customer svc, paint, pest control, sales, just cant lift or twist, have a bad back from an old surgury. Im 43, female, not afraid to get my hands dirty or sit at a desk and talk on the phone. I dont make alot of money right now, never really have, so Im looking at places to live in the 450-500 a month range, therefore need a(one or two) decent job pt-ft to make enough to pay the bills and get by. Where do I start looking, what is best way to search? Maybe this is stupid but I need to know how to get started. I seriously want to move to FL, I know Ill be able to come up with money to get the place, and get moved in, but after that,...there wont be any to live on without a paycheck. Any ideas and suggestions helpful. thanks.
The good news is should should easily be able to find employment in your field. I'm always seeing these exact types of jobs available here.

With your rental budget, I highly suggest you consider being a roommate at first, so you can get yourself in a better area and have nicer/safer retail in the area to work at.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:52 AM

Woodlawn st, 31st st S, Lynn Lake Dr, these are a few of the areas that i have found what looks to be decent apartments for good prices. I want to ask ppl that live in the tampa bay area what areas are no good. Ive been out of work here in NC for 2 years, finally got a part time job to make it tthrough the holidays. I am quite tired of living in the highest unemployment rate state. I have many skills and can do just about anything. Reason i cant go to extended stay places is i have 2 cats and a motorcycle and furniture, none of which I will leave behind.

And yes a roommate situation is fine with me, a decent 2 br house dup or apartment in a decent area where i can safely park my bike.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:59 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,924,822 times
Quote:
Woodlawn st, 31st st S, Lynn Lake Dr, these are a few of the areas that i have found what looks to be decent apartments for good prices. I want to ask ppl that live in the tampa bay area what areas are no good. Ive been out of work here in NC for 2 years, finally got a part time job to make it tthrough the holidays. I am quite tired of living in the highest unemployment rate state. I have many skills and can do just about anything. Reason i cant go to extended stay places is i have 2 cats and a motorcycle and furniture, none of which I will leave behind.

And yes a roommate situation is fine with me, a decent 2 br house dup or apartment in a decent area where i can safely park my bike.
The three areas you mentioned are not the best at all, with 31st street being the absolute worst and most dangerous. Not a place for a single female.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
The three areas you mentioned are not the best at all, with 31st street being the absolute worst and most dangerous. Not a place for a single female.
ok so if 31st st s is bad, the apartment complex looks beautiful, is the whole area down there bad? there are so many beautiful apartments.

also, what areas would you or anyone suggest for single female?

Old 12-18-2012, 05:29 AM

22,380 posts, read 29,497,078 times
LOL I had left Miami to go to Concord but had to come back to FL due to my relationshp ending. I'm looking to go back to NC. asap. I miss my beautiful new house I had built.

Have you fully done your research on how much cost of living is higher here in Florida??

Old 12-18-2012, 08:49 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,132,752 times
Quote:

Unemployment in Florida is worse than in NC. Also, with so many retirees in the workforce, it drives down the standard pay.

I would not even think about moving until you have $10k saved up.

Extended Stay hotels by Marriott (Residence Inn, etc) will absolutely allow your pets.

Everyone wants to live in Florida. It is tough to find a good job here but there are good jobs here. If you can, start working for one of the chain hotels, restaurants, or retail stores and transfer here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay