Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 08:46 AM

552 posts, read 721,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Having lived in a part of a northeast state where there was no influx of people and an exodus of people, I saw the devastation created. Roads left in complete disrepair, vacant and boarded up buildings at a shocking level, a job market so bad in good times that it makes the current Tampa Bay market look like the #1 economy in the world.....and the list goes on and on.

Now having population growth often times means the location is more desirable, usually part of the growth comes from people coming from other parts of the country and world....bringing interesting cultures, food, etc. They also bring new revenue streams, which is obvious in how great the roads are here and the continued infrastructure improvements I see all the time here. It also allows for more entertainment venues, as there are more people to partake.....creating the demand side of supply and demand. It also inspires the rare good politicians, such as the Tampa mayor, to look to the future by improving today.

So there you have just a few reasons why I like the populations growth. Having been on both sides of the spectrum, "I" LOVE how it is going in the Tampa Bay area.

YMMV!
Personally I would like a more stable, less transient population, but thats me. I think the roads down here are in such good shape compared to up north because theres no winter, somebody correct me if Im wrong about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 08:49 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,656,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHborn View Post
Why is population growth a good thing to you?
Quote:
No kidding? think: Did you think I needed an economics lesson or something?
Anyone reading the 3 posts in order would think you did not know.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:56 AM

552 posts, read 721,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Anyone reading the 3 posts in order would think you did not know.
OK I screwed up and only read the title of the thread, was assuming it meant fastest population growth so... my bad. In that case then yay! This is a good thing.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:59 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,656,534 times
Quote:
Personally I would like a more stable, less transient population, but thats me. I think the roads down here are in such good shape compared to up north because theres no winter, somebody correct me if Im wrong about that.
That is part of it, the fact that much of the area is more recently developed thus newer roads is another part.

As far as stable and less transient, while much of the population may be newer to the area, Florida has one of the top 10 highest rates of residents born here who stay here.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:02 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,915,197 times
Quote:
As far as stable and less transient, while much of the population may be newer to the area, Florida has one of the top 10 highest rates of residents born here who stay here.
Interesting.

That kinda blows the negative nellies theory of everyone hates it here and can't wait to leave....and the only ones who like it here are newbies who are too ignorant to know better.....LOL!

Old 02-24-2013, 02:13 PM

35,715 posts, read 21,081,460 times
I have been saying this for months,,, they are coming, n still keep coming. and I think with the baby boomers retiring- ever MORE

Old 02-24-2013, 02:42 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,899,808 times
Quote:
I'd love to read that study if you have a link to it, Mike..

Old 02-24-2013, 02:53 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,207,250 times
Amazing how long it take this data to get out--two years!

On another note:

Title of the referenced article says

Quote:
Tampa Bay's GDP outpaced other large Florida metro areas in 2011
And then uses the data for the metro area

Quote:

The inflation-adjusted gross domestic product for Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater grew 1.6 percent in 2011, the bureau reported.
Just for those who confuse what really Tampa Bay constitutes..

Old 02-24-2013, 02:55 PM

99 posts, read 146,748 times
According to this report from 2010 numbers, 35% of Florida residents were actually born in the state. So given the 2010 census numbers of 18,802,690 that equates to 6,580,941.5 people that are currently Florida residents and were born in the state. So it's probably top 10 nationwide in terms of amount of people actually staying, just because of FL's large population base, but percentage wise we are bottom 5.

We're Only Slightly Less Transient Than Florida and Nevada: DCist

Old 02-24-2013, 04:06 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,899,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzoUSF View Post
According to this report from 2010 numbers, 35% of Florida residents were actually born in the state. So given the 2010 census numbers of 18,802,690 that equates to 6,580,941.5 people that are currently Florida residents and were born in the state. So it's probably top 10 nationwide in terms of amount of people actually staying, just because of FL's large population base, but percentage wise we are bottom 5.

We're Only Slightly Less Transient Than Florida and Nevada: DCist
That's pretty much what I thought...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay