Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 05:34 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,633,921 times

Advertisements

56th and Hillsborough is a terrible neighborhood. I personally think that Temple Terrace has degraded significantly since I first moved to this area many moons ago and I would not live there. Plus they have their own police force with a small town attitude, I'd much rather be covered by Tampa PD or the Hillsborough county sheriff, especially if I was "tattooed up". Not that there is anything wrong with that imo, it just makes suspicious cops more suspicious is all. Between Temple Terrace and Hillsborough along 56th is one of the worst neighborhoods in the city. Your budget is too low for what you are looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia
Why don't u try renting an apartment first (6 months or month to month)
This is a good idea but they would probably not be able to find an apartment that leases for less for than 7 months with month-to-month available after that. For shorter terms the hotel tax kicks in and they are considered seasonal rentals which have much higher rates.

I think it would be better to put your stuff in storage, come down stay in an extended stay hotel and scout for houses on the weekends, assuming that you can find more money in your budget for housing or are willing to settle for an apartment or condo rather than a stand alone house. I know it is more hassle and expense, but picking a house off the internet sight unseen without driving the route to and from your workplace is just a recipe for disaster. Don't go to a mobile home, we get a lot of small tornados here, plus the risk of tropical storms, they are just not sturdy enough. If you are willing to go for a more rural location, consider properties that are further east of Tampa along I-4.

Quote:
And again and still wondering about the traffic on those main highways N/S into the 56th st Hillsborough area or E/W?
56th is a major N/S road. The traffic on it is the same as all our surface streets, pretty congested during rush hour, lighter in the off-times. Hillsborough Ave. is a major E/W artery and it has pretty intense traffic basically all day, lots of traffic lights. I-4 is the E/W interstate, it is also very congested during rush hour - it's generally worse coming into the city (west) than out of it in the morning and reversed in the afternoon. I-275 is the N/S interstate that I-4 ends at, again it has very intense traffic at rush hour and most of the day. I personally avoid the interstates and expressways as much as possible and stick with surface streets so I can thread my way around traffic if needed. Going 20 mph in stop and go on an interstate just really irritates me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 06:20 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,022,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyadams View Post
Okay so I am looking at getting transfered to Tampa and my job will be at Hillsborogh/56th st area.
I currently live in Phx Az. and I pay 1100 a month for a 3/3 with a pool ( which I wont need the luxury of in Florida, as we hardly used it even here in the desert ) I can afford around the same amount monthly, but I would like to lighten the load and pay no more than 900 a month for rent.

Now the issue is that the job is on wait, its going to be a last minute thing if I get offered the position and we have the money saved to move, and will have a whole Uhaul full of stuff- so I want to find a rental the week I will be moving, so I can drive out, move in and start work a day or so later. and I cant be living out of hotels, house searching, and putting stuff in storage- thats a nighmare, plus my daughter will need to start school asap.

Its hard to find a home without knowing the neighborhoods though. I can easily look at the demographics online, but its nothing compared to knowing what its really like. Okay so heres a lil about us and what we need-

We are mid-thirties, white, tattood up, active, hip people, with a 9 year old daughter. I am from Detroit, he is from L.A so we are used to big city and excitement, and would love to either live near action, or out in the country, no in between, no cookie cutter houses. He is an artist and Im kinda a hippy so we would be just as happy with a big yard and privacy out in the sticks as we would living in the heart of downtown around the clubs and restaurants!

I really want to stay away from the poor, ghetto areas of the city because, I, growing up in the Detoit area, and he, being from Central L.A. know what its like to grow up in that environment, and I have to say Im not scared, were not uppity people, not racist at all... I just dont want my daughter growing up like that. I know the crime, the drugs, the gangbangers and I do NOT want to be around that noise- for her sake!

I looked on the maps and I would like to be near my job, but it looks like its also close to the bad hoods that I dont wanna be in. I would love Clearwater, St. Petes- but how is the drive to 56th st. going to be? Im a mile from work now, and honestly spoiled by that and while Im not expecting to get that close, Im not sure how I would handle a 45 minute commute back and forth every day!

I see lots of posts of warning away from Temple Terrace and the USF area, as well as central/east tampa north of downtown and that seems to be the only affordable homes near work!!!

So can anyone help me out, let me know about good areas, cute neighborhoods, historic without being ghetto type areas with a funky cool vibe?. Or is that not what Tampa has to offer?

How far is it really from hillsborough/56th and Brandon, Seffner, Riverview?-- or is traffic better coming in and out of the Town & country/Oldsmar/Westchase area?
what about north/south ---like Pebble Creek/ Lutz/Land O Lakes? or downtown/ south Tampa??

I could drive the 75 everyday and that wouldnt be too bad would it?
So I take it you're ready to trade in a west-coast vibe for a more southern US vibe? You certainly won't be bumping in to many fellow Californians here. Most of them go to AZ, Nevada, Texas, and Washington. But maybe that's a good thing. While everyone here is from Indiana and Ohio or whatever flyover state, you can say that you're from Cali. That's one thing I found with you all, you all diss your great state, but you're always proud that you're from there (and I would be too).

Old 03-02-2013, 07:53 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
"How" did you moved 20 times then?

Quote:
I have moved 20 times in the last 10 years and managed state to state moves many many times, I have a job that I can move with here and I am more than willing to trade in my nicer home in Phoenix, for a small maybe a little run down house in Tampa in order to be in a place where there are trees and grass, water and outdoor activities that go beyond hiking up a barren desert mini mountain in the glaring sun!! I would just like a little inside info on the commute to 56th and hillsborough from all the areas a little farther out.. Im looking at keeping the commute about 15-20 mins max!! Thank you for all your advice and I hope to be welcomed into your wonderful city in just about a month from now!

Quote:
By the way does anyone know the average cost of moving furniture and stuff? I am thinking 1300-2300 depending on if I do a pod or drive a uhaul, has anyone got experience with either of these, or maybe to put a tow hitch on our 99 acura cl and pull a small trailer.. we would have to leave our furniture behind, which really sucks, as we just got the kid a bunk bed, and bought 1400$ couches in september.. but hey I gotta do this..

So any movers out there have advice on the best cheapest way to move your stuff?
And again and still wondering about the traffic on those main highways N/S into the 56th st Hillsborough area or E/W?
None of this makes sense to me....you have a kid, but you want to live in a "run down" home in Tampa...because of "trees"?.....you bought all this new furniture and now you want to get rid of it? That area is CRACK TOWN...there is no better way to address it. It has trees tho...

This a cross country move, it takes 38 hours by regular car without stops, I timed it when we were looking to move to Phoenix 2 years ago, it would take a LOT longer with a U-haul/Penske because those trucks don't drive all that fast; where will you be sleeping as this will be a 3 day trek? have you budgeted for hotels?......it would cost upwards of $5000 bucks all things considered...I fail to see how you can move from all the way there here on $1300/2k....have you considered the cost of gas for that U-Haul? Pods for 3/4 bedrooms was well over $2800+tax to PA which is much closer, plus storage if you had to use it. When we moved to PA the gas was a killer on those damn trucks. Have you considered rent DEPOSITS? someone that moved 20 times in 10 years might not look very good to a management company; have you considered deposits for electric, water, cable etc? have you looked at schools on greatschools.net? have you found a pediatrician so your kid's medical records are available so he/she can go to school here? you will also have to find a house/apartment IN the school boundary.

Not trying to be negative here, but just practical...you have to log into U-hauls website and get a quote, same for Penske and other movers...a simple Map Quest search will estimate the gas per what vehicle you have...this is easy info to find...I just wouldn't move a kid from a nice home to live in a run down area no matter what. JMO

Old 03-02-2013, 03:41 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,204,742 times
Quote:
Thank you , Yes we are looking at condos, townhomes, houses.. and well apartments are on the low end of our desires, but you take what you can get sometimes. I just have been living in houses for years and going back to apartment seems like backtracking! I know thats silly.. but being so close to people, no privacy, we cant crank up the Prodigy while we clean the house, and I would like a yard for my kid to play in, so really a house is perferred. Um actually am looking at mobile home parks as well, any that arent 55 and up, but same issues, no loud music, privacy or yards really, but the good thing about apts/trailers.condos is that usually here are other kids around. Right now we are on a big street, and no other kids are on our road, so my daughter has no friends and its quite sad, unless I want to let her go walking around the neighborhood, but no, I have three convicted child touchers living in my general area, I mean a street over and around the block like close, so no to that idea,!!! Anyways poor kid!!! I really just want to be kinda close to work, live somewhere cheap and not be in an area that I wont let my kid walk around.. Man I wish I could do a scouting trip first!!! By the way does anyone know the average cost of moving furniture and stuff? I am thinking 1300-2300 depending on if I do a pod or drive a uhaul, has anyone got experience with either of these, or maybe to put a tow hitch on our 99 acura cl and pull a small trailer.. we would have to leave our furniturebehind, which really sucks, as we just got the kid a bunk bed, and bought 1400$ couches in september.. but hey I gotta do this..

So any movers out there have advice on the best cheapest way to move your stuff?
Traffic sucks on those two roads. I feel sorry for people who put up with that everyday.

You have so many conflicting requirement, I don't even know what to say to make a reasonable suggestion on where you could live.

Good luck!

Old 03-05-2013, 11:59 AM

21 posts, read 61,015 times
Hehe.. requirements.. yeah it is alot.. thanks for the advice though.. Ive priced the POD at 2k for our must bring furniture, we are going to drive out and have 1000 for the trip. I have 2 k for deposits and move in. I make about 4000 a month, so I can go a bit higher in rent, I just wanted to stay around the same as Im paying now, even for a 2/1 condo or something.. I just really dont want to be in a bad neighborhood. And I am now thinking of going south-east, maybe Riverview or Brandon, because I looked myself and it does seem like anything near my job is not a place Id like my daughter walking around. ALL in all we have 7 grand fro the move, plus we get another 5 grand a month from now, so money shouldnt be an issue, but IM in sales, so getting into a 1500-1800 a month rent, and then not making sales will hurt, so I like to keep my rent affordable to my salary which is 2200 a month. The extra 2-3 K I make isnt a FOR SURE thing, so its scary counting on it ya know!?

Old 03-05-2013, 01:58 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,853,790 times
Has someone suggested Seminole Heights to this poster?

Old 03-05-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Has someone suggested Seminole Heights to this poster?
Why? Its surrounded by cracktowns...there are no high rated schools there either...

Old 03-05-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Hehe.. requirements.. yeah it is alot.. thanks for the advice though.. Ive priced the POD at 2k for our must bring furniture, we are going to drive out and have 1000 for the trip. I have 2 k for deposits and move in. I make about 4000 a month, so I can go a bit higher in rent, I just wanted to stay around the same as Im paying now, even for a 2/1 condo or something.. I just really dont want to be in a bad neighborhood. And I am now thinking of going south-east, maybe Riverview or Brandon, because I looked myself and it does seem like anything near my job is not a place Id like my daughter walking around. ALL in all we have 7 grand fro the move, plus we get another 5 grand a month from now, so money shouldnt be an issue, but IM in sales, so getting into a 1500-1800 a month rent, and then not making sales will hurt, so I like to keep my rent affordable to my salary which is 2200 a month. The extra 2-3 K I make isnt a FOR SURE thing, so its scary counting on it ya know!?
Well yeah, look on greatschools for ratings, and when you find the rating u want take the school zip code and focus on that area. Each area has different housing options, so u may be able to find something in Brandon, Riverview etc.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:00 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,853,790 times
I think they would like Seminole Heights very much but I don't know about the schools so I yield to others' expertise. But in general cheap housing is never located near good schools. I believe this can be applied in any city.

From the sound of the poster I don't think they would like Riverview or Brandon, suburban blahness

The places their daughter can walk around are generally pricy urban areas or out in exurbia.

I agree that the requirements conflict and are unreasonable. Lots of hipster tatted up thirty somethings with kids eventually realize they need to make more money to afford good schools in the city, or they swallow their pride and move to cheap exurbia. Happens all the time.

I did hear the other day about an excellent magnet school in ybor city, they could look into that.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:37 PM

21 posts, read 61,015 times
Thanks for all the info once again! I just found out that I will have much more money to move than I thought, so we are getting the POD, packing everything in and driving out around April 1st.
I realize now after looking at school ratings and demographics that I am not going to be anywhere very close to my job!!!
I am now thinking of sucking it up, taking the 30-40 minute commute and maybe moving to South Tampa, Land O Lakes, Riverview or north of Temple Terrace.... I dont care about the hip vibe of the neighborhood, as we will probably be out very often, and home is just a place to lay your head, change your clothes and store your stuff to us..
I mean we do so much , we forget ...its almost funny...So were planning on getting season passes to Zoos, amusement parks, state park passes, ect.. plan on being at the beaches often and really dont mind if the neighborhood is boring, I just dont want it to be unsafe, I dont want my car broken into.. lol
I mean Im not ignorant, I know anything can happen anywhere, but I cant stand living in another place like Pontiac, Mi. where I grew up, and anyone curious.. Detroit-Flint-Pontiac trifecta is one of the most dangerous places in America. They are spotted with nice areas in between but find yourself in a bad neighborhood in one of those cities, its really, really bad.....
Im in Phoenix now and the "ghetto" areas here are a joke to me.. but I dont know if Tampa is like Phoenix, or like Flint...hmm
Of course wish I could go there and see what its really like first, best I have is you guys, a buddy who lives out there, and looking at the street view maps on google and bing...!

Hey there is a place called Riverwalk at Waterside.. how is that place anyone know personally?? And what about living near the lakes/rivers if it floods.. I mean does it happen often?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay