Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 06:57 AM

29 posts, read 122,866 times

Advertisements

My family moved from up North to Lutz 10 years ago. We have three children which ranged in age from elementary, middle and high school. I too was very concerned about schools in Florida so I simplified my worries by sticking to one area in Lutz, which had and presently has the best schools in the area. I will simplify it for you if schools and accepting of diverse families are your concern; stick to zip code 33558. The schools in this area for elementary, middle and high school are McKitrick, Martinez and Steinbrenner, respectively. Some of the areas which others are suggesting while being relatively nice areas to live, nice homes, safe etc. have issues with the quality of the schools. I would suggest you check out Schooldigger.com and Greatschools.com. The last time I checked on Schooldigger.com, McKitrick was ranked 44th, Martinez ranked 33rd and Steinbrenner ranked 77th of all other schools IN THE ENTIRE STATE OF FLORIDA not just the county. Moving to a new area and purchasing a home are huge investments. Why would you want to compromise the quality of the education your children will receive by moving into an area with less than best schools? I live in Cheval and love it here. Cheval is located next to the Veterans Expressway which makes commuting downtown as tolerable as it's going to get in this area. My neighbors while being predominantly white(as is the case with Lutz) are also African American, Latino, Asian, Middle Eastern, etc. My children have attended all three schools and have had friends of all races. I have not witnessed people being ostracized in my neighborhood or school district based on race and I am someone very sensitive to discrimination. I truly believe your family will feel welcome here. Please feel free to send me a personal message if you would like more specifics. Good Luck to you and your family!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 07:27 PM

148 posts, read 377,446 times
We just moved to Lutz in July. We live in Willow Bend, right on the Pasco side of the county line. Our kids go to an A rated public school in Land O'Lakes. We really like it here. We were concerned about biases, because we're Jewish, but we have gotten nothing worse than a few awkward questions. One of our neighbors are a Vietnamese/Chinese family and they like it here also.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:12 AM

53 posts, read 99,021 times
Mamaluna & mom2m&j, thank you for our responses of encouragement!

Old 04-30-2013, 06:39 AM

53 posts, read 99,021 times
Mamaluna , I don't see an option to 'message' you

Old 01-21-2014, 02:58 PM

3 posts, read 7,708 times
Hi, I hope you don't mind the email. My family and I are moving to Florida from Chicago suburbs in summer 2014. We are looking in Lutz, Westchase, Land-O-Lakes. I saw you live in Willow Bend. Could you give me some information about the subdivision? We have 4 kids and looking for a 4 bedroom+, pool or pool community, good schools and sports. Any information would be helpful. Both my husband and I will be renting office space near where we live, so a commute is not an issue. It is so difficult from afar!

Angela

Old 01-23-2014, 01:15 PM

148 posts, read 377,446 times
What would you like to know? Willow Bend is a big division, split into smaller sections, all with a Willow name (Willow Pond, Willow Cove, etc.). There is no pool, but there's no CDD either. In the section I'm in (Willow Pond), the school is in Land O'Lakes, rated A (Lake Myrtle Elementary). There is a library and tons of shopping nearby. We are in between old town Lutz (nice, but older) and Wesley Chapel/New Tampa (newer, but more expensive), so we get the benefits of both. Houses are not too close together, and it's very family oriented. A lot of houses decorate for Halloween/Christmas and all the neighbors we have met have been very nice. The house next door to us just came up for sale (sign was put up yesterday). You may want to look at it to get an idea of the value. Lutz Real Estate & Lutz Homes For Sale - Zillow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay