Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 07:57 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times

Advertisements

Its been that way forever. Your're in the South. Christian values.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Not rural areas for sure; but I doubt NYC is closed for business on Sunday, or even Las Olas in Fort Lauderdale, or Ocean Drive in Miami Beach. It puzzles me too how come Tampa doesn't have neither, yet somehow it is attached to Florida!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 09:59 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,853,790 times
More faulty logic.

There are PLENTY of cities in the SUPPOSEDLY RELIGIOUS South, of Tampa's size or even smaller, that have bustling entertainment/arts districts and don't shut everything down (by everything I am talking about popular stores/restaurants) on Sundays. Off the top of my head I can think of Jacksonville, Savannah, Charleston, Asheville, etc.

Tampa is longgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg overdue for a Broughton Street (like in Savannah) or a Davidson Street (like in Charlotte). Here is the web site for one of the arts districts in Charlotte. NONE of these shops or eateries close on Sundays.

NoDa Home - Charlotte's Historic Arts District

By the way I couldn't give a rat's butt about Charlotte. I am a Tampa native born and raised. I want my city to grow and prosper and become a major destination. Doesn't everyone? Perhaps not. I find it interesting that none of the people here talking about God and values and the South and whatever actually LIVE in Tampa.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:03 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times
How about just an Ocean Drive like in Florida! (Miami Beach)!

make that longgg, longggeerrrr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
More faulty logic.

There are PLENTY of cities in the SUPPOSEDLY RELIGIOUS South, of Tampa's size or even smaller, that have bustling entertainment/arts districts and don't shut everything down (by everything I am talking about popular stores/restaurants) on Sundays. Off the top of my head I can think of Jacksonville, Savannah, Charleston, Asheville, etc.

Tampa is longgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg overdue for a Broughton Street (like in Savannah) or a Davidson Street (like in Charlotte). Here is the web site for one of the arts districts in Charlotte. NONE of these shops or eateries close on Sundays.

By the way I couldn't give a rat's butt about Charlotte. I am a Tampa native born and raised. I want my city to grow and prosper and become a major destination. Doesn't everyone? Perhaps not. I find it interesting that none of the people here talking about God and values and the South and whatever actually LIVE in Tampa.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:30 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
they have one thought here every time they try to expand--"MY TAXES" and they think they need to be invested only in their own back yards. I am from that hustle and bustle of S. Beach and understand exactly what you mean, and it's a disconnect here in Tampa. The ONLY real place I have ever seen gathering of folks is at Vinoy park and the shops, but then the whole thing closed down? why>?? Channelside-- ZIP- MY opinion- this has been kept a retirement community and nothing new will grow from that. The elderly want peace and quiet and nothing to take away their hard earned money. You want change,,, we need jobs for young people,,, good ones! The college kids come broke, get drunk, hit the beach, get a degree and leave. WE need enterprize.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:39 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times
Quote:
More faulty logic.

Isn't all this a little misguided, certainly is not the residents of Spring Hill who are going to be the target audience. People in Spring Hill or whatever other "god's country" region is out there are inconsequential to the goal of bringing thats sort of district to Tampa. For some bizarre reason my wife loves the Wine Exchange therefore i eat there often, as i am sitting there i always watch the semi-empty stores at Hyde Park Village, my point is there is barely enough to support those kinds of stores without the expanded hours. I don't think there is anything other than capitalism (supply and demand) that keeps that sort of venue from forming. It seems to me that unless its a place that sells some kind of food or alcohol, they don;t really stay packed. Speaking for myself I like the idea of a main street more than in practice, and I am thinking I am not alone pretty much every person I meet or know have talked about how much they love a main street, mom and pop shops etc etc, but in reality they don't shop there. You can't ask people to open a business and staff it on sundays, because some people like to eat brunch and browse around the nice little shops but don't' really buy anything.
BTW None of this is directed at you, I quoted you just because it seem to add to your point.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:21 PM

861 posts, read 1,456,409 times
Quote:
More faulty logic.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:28 AM

306 posts, read 451,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
There's also the Wiregrass Mall in Wesley Chapel.
We love that place ! The Shops at Wiregrass :: 28211 Paseo Drive, Suite 100, Wesley Chapel, FL. 33543 :: 813-994-2242

Old 05-08-2013, 08:27 AM

443 posts, read 559,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
And a lot of places are closed on Sunday because that is the Lord's Day, you're supposed to rest.
Not all of us are still stuck in the Dark Ages, so we like options on one of our few, precious days off.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:55 AM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Did you see news TBO wrote up today about the" big n ugly"-- a total put down of a new development for a high rise on the river for condos or rentals and offices --negative negative negative!! Some refuse growth.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:50 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
More faulty logic.

Yes, as has been discussed here before, even Sarasota where we live has TWO districts that are always busy - downtown and St. Armand's Circle. And Sarasota is VERY small compared to Tampa. Maybe it's just that Tampa from it's inception has always been a "working man's town" rather than the vacation nature of the coastal cities, so it's taking longer for it to happen. I don't know. Tampa is certainly better than it used to be, but has a long way to go, I think it's just going to take a lot more time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay