Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2013, 04:10 PM

10 posts, read 14,197 times

Advertisements

zHey folks, moving from STL to work at the VA bay pines starting august. Looking for some input about area's. Don't want too close to water, need safe area as have 2 year old. Also have 2 dogs (wire foxes) so needs to be dog friendly (i"ve heard Westchase etc frown on dog owners). We've rented a house in 33704 for 3 months to scope out the neighbourhoods, but any info would help : ) Looking for around 2300 sq feet +, ideally 4 bedrooms.
Anyone know anything about the Canterury Academy?
I've heard Safetly Harbor is nice, but looks like a long commute to the VA???
Any info anyone?
Close to any Brits would be a bonus too

Last edited by total_chaos; 06-17-2013 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 09:11 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,801,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_chaos View Post
zHey folks, moving from STL to work at the VA bay pines starting august. Looking for some input about area's. Don't want too close to water, need safe area as have 2 year old. Also have 2 dogs (wire foxes) so needs to be dog friendly (i"ve heard Westchase etc frown on dog owners). We've rented a house in 33704 for 3 months to scope out the neighbourhoods, but any info would help : ) Looking for around 2300 sq feet +, ideally 4 bedrooms.
Anyone know anything about the Canterury Academy?
I've heard Safetly Harbor is nice, but looks like a long commute to the VA???
Any info anyone?
Close to any Brits would be a bonus too
If you are able to afford Canterbury, you will want to look into Shorecrest Prep. Shorecrest Preparatory School
In my opinion, they have a much stronger academic program and their lower division head is just wonderful!

Yes, Safety Harbor is great, but that would be a crazy long commute!

Old 06-18-2013, 09:04 AM

ok thank you so much I will look at the shorecrest.
Any info on good living neighborhoods??

Old 06-18-2013, 03:57 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 940,671 times
Not sure what "too close to water" means to you. While you're renting in 33704, you'll likely get plenty of exposure to Snell Isle and the Old NE -- both very dog friendly neighborhoods that could be good fits. If they're not too close to water, check out Tierra Verde, as well as the neighborhoods along the intracoastal a little bit north of Bay Pines, like Bellair, Bellair Bluffs, etc. Further inland Pinellas, your price range means golf community; Bayou Club comes to mind. I would not want to commute from Safety Harbor to Bay Pines; I'd assume a solid hour at rush hour, but maybe that's worth testing, particularly if you're not working 9-5 (though I'm not sure non-waterfront SH is a 550k neighborhood...).

Also, agree with the other poster that Shorecrest has the best reputation among St. Pete private schools.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:43 AM

65 posts, read 77,940 times
Default might try gated community in Gulfport

Quote:
Originally Posted by total_chaos View Post
ok thank you so much I will look at the shorecrest.
Any info on good living neighborhoods??
a relative (now out of state) who worked at the V.A. commuted from Gulfport's gated community Pasadena Golf and Yacht Club in 33707 by cutting across Park St N. He was pleased w/ his residential decision., and I personally spent a few weeks in his home & neighborhood, & it was safe for kids & pleasant for leisurely walks & bike rides

Old 07-01-2013, 07:20 PM

thanks folks for the info. we've secured a rental in 33711 and will defo be checking out the shorecrest school and the neighbourhoods mentioned.
Great! We're excited!!

Old 07-01-2013, 07:28 PM

877 posts, read 1,913,528 times
Congrats!!

Old 07-17-2013, 02:47 PM

thanks everyone.
Can anyone recommend a reliable honest car mechanic in the St Pete area??
I need to have a safety inspection on my car when I arrive, and been burned in the past.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:42 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,080,207 times
Hello
I have a mechanic garage in Seminole - Oakhurst Auto, family business, well established and honest. We have been using them for about 8 yrs and they have looked after all our cars, they are currently nursing my old expedition, with about 175000 on it, hopefully it will last long enough to get the youngest out of college and on his own!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay