Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 12:03 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times

Advertisements

Sinkholes can happen anywhere in Florida. There was one in Clermont (over near Orlando) a few months ago that swallowed half of a condo building. There was one yesterday down in Bradenton in the middle of a roadway from the deluge of rain this past week.

The area where I live has a large number of "confirmed" sinkholes, supposedly the most in the state. But what exactly does that mean? There's been a great amount of fraud that has taken place in years past in regards to the whole sinkhole situation. People had their house checked and a "sinkhole" was found, they got a big insurance payout, and either paid off their mortgage and stayed there without doing any repairs (because honestly, there really wasn't anything wrong other than a crack in some drywall or something similar. I have heard of people who got a sinkhole payout 10, even 15 years ago and are still living in the home having done zero ground repairs of any kind.

There are others who took the money and ran, they just walked away from the house.

Here's one article about it.
County, state seeks solution to sinkhole scam

This kind of thing brought about some changes. First, homeowners insurance only covers "catastrophic" sinkholes. You have to pay extra if you want coverage for something "minor" that happens. Secondly, at least in my county, a permit has to be pulled in order to do sinkhole testing. My understanding is that this put the brakes on the shenanigans.

I moved here last year. I didn't initially plan to live in this exact area, but here I am. It worked out that way. I had concerns, but tried to educate myself as best I could about the situation.

I bought an "older" home (relative to many of the other homes in the immediate area), with the thought being that it's been here this long without a problem I'm probably going to be ok. If there is a "catastrophic" (read: real) sinkhole, my homeowners will cover me. Things happen. Life is too short to obsess over it.

After buying my home, I learned that it was originally the builder's personal home who built the development. Maybe it's built better than what's around me. It does seem to have more bells and whistles in terms of construction features than neighboring homes. Maybe he picked the best piece of ground. Maybe neither is true because there is no way to really know. Again, I hope that he fact that it's been here going on 20 years means something. In my quest to educate myself about sinkholes, I noticed that they seemed to be happening to homes newer than mine. That may or may not be the case, but it sure seemed that way as I was reading up on the subject. I could very well be totally wrong about that, so I don't need anyone chiming in to tell me so. I could be wrong about all of it, I'm just sharing my observations and my thought process.

Over this past summer, I had alot of upgrades done to my house. I had the entire interior painted, I had my pool resurfaced, and I had my pool deck completely redone. All of the crews on each job told me things were slowing down for them because all of the "sinkhole" work has been drying up. The painters said they did alot of house repainting after walls were fixed, etc. Both the pool guys and the deck guys told me the same thing. But on the other hand, I've read articles saying more sinkholes are being reported because of Florida's growing population. Who knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 02:49 AM

693 posts, read 1,138,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcright79 View Post
lol I lived in Clearwater, Florida, for three years. Sinkholes never crossed my mind. lol Hmm sinkholes are not a problem. I'd have to tell you they are quite rare. Probably have a better chance of a meteor hitting your head to be perfectly honest with you. I bet if there was a sinkhole on I-275 they wouldn't stop for it anyway but all drive right into it. ROFLMFAO.
well said. Are they real yes, but we are talking extreme odds. I think anyone north of Virginia stands a better chance killing themselves in a winter weather accident then a sink hold swallowing you. You still drive dont you?

Old 09-28-2013, 09:36 PM

3 posts, read 2,254 times
I am currently renting a room from a friend and have started house hunting in the past two weeks... Sink holes occur more frequently from what my realtor told me today - the further north you go - into Pasco county... and parts of Northern Hillsborough... A sinkhole can be what everyone saw on the news back in NY where a man was swallowed in his house - to something the size of a pothole - and all are considered sinkholes.

It isn't a major concern to me, however there are lots of lakes and little bodies of water which I don't even consider lakes - they're like oversized pools or reservoirs which house excess water from the rain... which are considered lakes... sometimes you will find houses that are nears the "popcorn lakes" as I've coined them, sometimes the soil is more moist, and that is a concern for me. It is a little weird that have advertisements on television for sinkhole repair, like it happens on a regular basis - but it is not a worry that crosses my mind. I don't walk down the street worrying a sinkhole is going to eat me in other words.

I have been told that sinkhole insurance used to be separate and now it is build in to homeowners insurance... I'm still getting the details with that. I hope that helps - and honestly - it's not a big deal. I'd be more worried about getting swallowed by an earthquake visiting friends in California then a sinkhole consuming myself or my house - ALSOO - sinkholes don't just happen... like walking down the street, minding your business, sinkhole. It is more like looking for warning signs. If you see structural damage or cracks in foundation. If there is a peculiar slope of how water is draining, etc. There are signs that if you ignore could mean something is to be worried about - but it doesn't concern me. However, I never thought a Hurricane could destroy my house on Long Island either - for what that's worth.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:47 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Those oversized pools you see are retention ponds. They were built to collect run off from the streets to prevent flooding.

Sinkholes are a subject of concern to a lot of folks. They do happen. They dont happen so frequently though. This website will tell you all about sinkholes: FGS, Sinkholes in Florida

Catastrophic sinkholes, the ones that swallow homes and stuff are pretty rare. A sinkhole can open in an instant without warning or prior indication. Its just a natural thing. The website I referenced will tell you more than you need to know.

If you want a sinkhole claim, call any sinkhole remediation company. Its almost guaranteed they will find sinkholes on your property.

Catastrophic sinkhole coverage is covered by HOI but you need a separate policy or rider for
the non-catastrophic sinkhole coverage. Thanks to all the fraudulent claims the non-catastrophic coverage got expensive.

littl
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL184922 View Post
I am currently renting a room from a friend and have started house hunting in the past two weeks... Sink holes occur more frequently from what my realtor told me today - the further north you go - into Pasco county... and parts of Northern Hillsborough... A sinkhole can be what everyone saw on the news back in NY where a man was swallowed in his house - to something the size of a pothole - and all are considered sinkholes.

It isn't a major concern to me, however there are lots of lakes and little bodies of water which I don't even consider lakes - they're like oversized pools or reservoirs which house excess water from the rain... which are considered lakes... sometimes you will find houses that are nears the "popcorn lakes" as I've coined them, sometimes the soil is more moist, and that is a concern for me. It is a little weird that have advertisements on television for sinkhole repair, like it happens on a regular basis - but it is not a worry that crosses my mind. I don't walk down the street worrying a sinkhole is going to eat me in other words.

I have been told that sinkhole insurance used to be separate and now it is build in to homeowners insurance... I'm still getting the details with that. I hope that helps - and honestly - it's not a big deal. I'd be more worried about getting swallowed by an earthquake visiting friends in California then a sinkhole consuming myself or my house - ALSOO - sinkholes don't just happen... like walking down the street, minding your business, sinkhole. It is more like looking for warning signs. If you see structural damage or cracks in foundation. If there is a peculiar slope of how water is draining, etc. There are signs that if you ignore could mean something is to be worried about - but it doesn't concern me. However, I never thought a Hurricane could destroy my house on Long Island either - for what that's worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay