Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 04:53 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,625,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Just be lucky you do not live in a hot summer weather climate. Our >2,500 sq ft 4 bed, 3 bath pool house with OLD AC unit, LOTS of electronics running, freezer in garage, additional fridge outside and someone always home and our electric is in the $200's in summer and $100's in winter. I'm very happy with that, as it cost WAY WAY more to heat up north. Much cheaper here overall.

Our water/sewer bill is expensive also. $125/mo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 05:10 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,853,790 times
Electricity and water are very expensive in Florida. Especially in Tallahassee, Tampa Bay, etc. The electric rates and water rates in Miami-Dade, for example, are cheaper than in Tampa. That's b/c the electric utility down there is cheaper, and they get their water from the aquifer, which is cheaper. My mother lives in Miami and she waters her HUGE lawn and plants and HUGE pool to death and her water bill is never more than 100 bucks.

Let me put it this way. Your bills are NOT unheard of. Now if you told me your bills were 500 and up, I'd be worried. I would still do a power and water audit. But I bet your bills are not way off.

You will be paying a lot more to keep your Florida house at 78 on a 92-degree day, than you were paying to keep your home at 78 degrees on a 92-degree day in Minnesota.

Last edited by sinatras; 08-31-2013 at 05:41 PM..

Old 08-31-2013, 05:26 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
This area is considered by most normal people as having a hot/humid climate during the summer months.
I have lived in places with MUCH hotter and just as humid summers, where the AC could simply not keep up. Running non stop and could not keep the temp under 82 during the day. Is the Tampa Bay area of Florida warm in the summer? Yep. THANK GOD. Is it so hot that on most days in the summer the AC cannot keep the temps in the 70's? NOPE! And that is a fact. That was my comment for the OP.

Old 08-31-2013, 05:41 PM

443 posts, read 559,004 times
Quote:
I have lived in places with MUCH hotter and just as humid summers, where the AC could simply not keep up. Running non stop and could not keep the temp under 82 during the day. Is the Tampa Bay area of Florida warm in the summer? Yep. THANK GOD. Is it so hot that on most days in the summer the AC cannot keep the temps in the 70's? NOPE! And that is a fact. That was my comment for the OP.
Yes, because naturally, the way your house, your insulation, and your hvac work is exactly the same as everyone else's, even in this warm, err excuse me, HOT summer climate, right? (yes, real feel temps of well over 100 degrees for several months of the year qualifies us as hot whether you like it or not)

Last edited by Sunscape; 09-01-2013 at 09:03 AM..

Old 08-31-2013, 07:21 PM

892 posts, read 1,577,938 times
"You're lucky you don't live in a hot climate"..........

This garbage has pretty much ruined this forum........

Florida is not a "hot climate".......

What a joke.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:44 PM

30,434 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post

What a joke.
If people swallow his BS then i feel sorry for them. He has really ruined this place.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post

What a joke.
It would be worse if anyone other than himself took those posts seriously.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:30 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times
Quote:
Ok, against my better judgement let me engage, without even arguing against your usual "i don't need ac in my car" etc. How is the fact that you lived in warmer places or that there are warmer places has anything to do with the OP's electric bill. You seem to be in this quixotic crusade to paint Tampa as a place with temperate climate.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Ok, against my better judgement let me engage, without even arguing against your usual "i don't need ac in my car" etc. How is the fact that you lived in warmer places or that there are warmer places has anything to do with the OP's electric bill. You seem to be in this quixotic crusade to paint Tampa as a place with temperate climate.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:49 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Because they say they moved from a cold weather climate and now are surprised at the higher summertime electric bill. While I think their bill is a little high, it could be worse if they had moved to a hotter climate. Here in this part of Florida, the AC units usually cycle on and off during the day. Mine is off far more than it is on. It simply is not hot enough here to require them to run continuously, unless of course you like to run it extremely cold....which the OP does not. Now we have lived in places where the AC hardly ever shuts off during the day, as it was so hot (103-107) actual temps with same humidity. The experts say plan on an AC unit being able to cool the indoor temp 15-20 degrees from the outdoor temp. So Tampa Bay being only around 90 means it can cool to 70-75, thus it does not need to run all the time...especially as that 90 is at the warmest part of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay