Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 04:22 AM

693 posts, read 1,138,405 times

Advertisements

In my experience, kid is lucky he pulled that in a country with rule of law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 04:58 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
You could always go to NY where the police start shooting if you raise your fingers and make believe they are a gun

Old 09-15-2013, 08:53 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
In my experience, kid is lucky he pulled that in a country with rule of law.
And some of that rule of law includes things that allow organizations like the NSA drop rate secret trials to occur and imprisonment without trial.

Of course then there's the problem with that little statistic which shows that United States of America has more prisoners when countries like Russia, China or North Korea.

Perhaps the rule of law doesn't fit anymore today's USA.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:09 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
And some of that rule of law includes things that allow organizations like the NSA drop rate secret trials to occur and imprisonment without trial.

Of course then there's the problem with that little statistic which shows that United States of America has more prisoners when countries like Russia, China or North Korea.

Perhaps the rule of law doesn't fit anymore today's USA.
Because I am sure Russia, China and North Korea are being completely transparent about the number of prisoners they have.
Or maybe the several thousand executions a year in China has something to do with it, they ain't prisoners if they dead.
Feel free to move to China, Russia or North Korea. I am sure you will be welcomed with open arms.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:13 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,477 times
Yep, was thinking firing squads vice juries.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:38 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Because I am sure Russia, China and North Korea are being completely transparent about the number of prisoners they have.
Or maybe the several thousand executions a year in China has something to do with it, they ain't prisoners if they dead.
Feel free to move to China, Russia or North Korea. I am sure you will be welcomed with open arms.
The USA also leads the world in the RATE per100,000 of incarceration.

ONLY North Korea is estimated to be in the same area. China and Russia are significantly less especially China.

The USA does not have the best justice system in the world. Not even close. It's just too bad that the public has not recognized how much the rights has been infringed upon and how many have allowed laws passed that infringe on those right. The dream of the land of the free expired half a century ago. Living in the past doesn't change it.

See the incarceration rates here.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...rceration_rate

Old 09-15-2013, 10:46 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
the argument "it could have been worse, he's lucky" is pretty weak logic, imo...I guess the same could be said for any misdemeanor where a police officer doesn't shoot the culprit........hope the family sues the city where this police officer works for unnecessarily brutality - there was no one threatened and no urgency to get him off the field - was the kid wielding a weapon? As I linked above, the tazer can be lethal - police officer is lucky he didn't kill the kid with it.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:03 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Let's disband the police forces, free the prisoners from jails, abolish the laws and let the mayhem go unchecked. A free for all.

Kinda idiotic, ain't it?

How are the crime rate indexes in other places that boast a low incarceration rate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
The USA also leads the world in the RATE per100,000 of incarceration.

ONLY North Korea is estimated to be in the same area. China and Russia are significantly less especially China.

The USA does not have the best justice system in the world. Not even close. It's just too bad that the public has not recognized how much the rights has been infringed upon and how many have allowed laws passed that infringe on those right. The dream of the land of the free expired half a century ago. Living in the past doesn't change it.

See the incarceration rates here.

List of countries by incarceration rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-15-2013, 11:15 AM

693 posts, read 1,138,405 times
Ugh, these conversations are endless but I brought up the rule of law so I cant complain too much.

I will simply say, one could suggest that a prison term is better then a bullet to the head and maybe a shallow grave. Because we have rule of law there are statistics to report. I cant help you if you put stock in any statistics assembled outside the United States. I would suggest maybe a few classes in comparative politics at the local university to start!

My 2 cents, love your country Cupper!

Old 09-15-2013, 11:28 AM

794 posts, read 1,860,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMissAshley View Post
Ok, am I the only one who saw this video or is outraged by it? In the video shows by the localness, a kid runs through the football field during game time at Dunedin High with his shirt off, waving it in his hand behind him. Not nude, just his shirt off.
Seconds later an officer starts to run after him...except not for too long. After 2-3 seconds the officer realizes he's too out of shape to catch the kid, gives up, whips out the taser and threatens the kid until the kid gets flat on his belly?!?
Seriously?! We let cops taser kids at football games just for running around with their shirt off?
I agree with you and I am outraged....there does not seem to be ANY tolerance to anything and there is such a double standard in this country. For example, everyone you ask values honesty, but everyone lies? The punishment should match the crime....running on the field does NOT warrant a potential body harming electrical shock!!!! Geez
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay