Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 11:17 AM

58 posts, read 146,405 times

Advertisements

I am just looking for some general info. Recently I graduated with my BA in graphic design and I have looking to move somewhere that I can further my education. Currently the only thing I have been educated to do is use Photoshop which I have found is not enough to qualify me to work in the graphic design field.
I am just looking for a quick link or website that will give me a list of colleges in the area. I'm finding it quite a challenge to separate all the different information that is on the web. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 12:45 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,615,835 times
You have a Bachelor's Degree in graphic design and all you know is photoshop? what school is that? OMG!

For graphic design you have is the Art Institutes, the International Academy of Design & Technology, Full Sail, most all of them are private. University of Tampa also has a program, very expensive, and not worth it considering what people of "Tampa Bay" are willing to pay for your knowledge on this field.

They all want a BA in design 4 years of college & two years working experience, which I have no idea where one would be getting right off school!

Old 12-08-2013, 01:13 PM

58 posts, read 146,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
You have a Bachelor's Degree in graphic design and all you know is photoshop? what school is that? OMG!

For graphic design you have is the Art Institutes, the International Academy of Design & Technology, Full Sail, most all of them are private. University of Tampa also has a program, very expensive, and not worth it considering what people of "Tampa Bay" are willing to pay for your knowledge on this field.

They all want a BA in design 4 years of college & two years working experience, which I have no idea where one would be getting right off school!
Doane college in Lincoln NE I already had my AA general and assumed that I would get the rest of the education in the two and a half years. I didn't figure out till over a year in that we wouldn't be doing anything but touching Illustrator and Indesign but at that point it's too late. My education overall was worthless, I could have saved myself some money and bought photoshop for dummies.
I have a friend that lives there and I'm just looking for somewhere to work till I figure out what to do. I doubt it would be anything in the GD field.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:37 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,102,017 times
I would take your school to court and get your money back, because you got robbed.

BA in Graphic Arts and you only know PS? Do you even realize how many people there are that self-learn PS at home and can use it as good or better than most grads? Not even that, but you have Illustrator, Dreamweaver, InDesign, and competing products that you SHOULD have been made aware of and conquered during your time in college. I am not trying to insult you, but that is just a travesty your school took against you and I'd be pissed.

Find a job in your field is hard enough these days...with fantastic skills in a wide variety of applications. My brother graduated from the Art Institute in Charleston and was experienced in Graphic Design before that being self taught...he JUST found a job in his field 2 years later, and he search up and down.

I really wish good luck comes your way.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:53 PM

641 posts, read 1,021,683 times
If you think anywhere in Florida will give you the career, education and job placement skills you need to have an even remote chance at a successful career, then you must be smoking some good stuff.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:07 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,615,835 times
I would sue them too! We studied marketing, advertising, history of advertising, and concepts and OMG a boat load of stuff...Illustrator, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash, you name it, everything in that Creative Suite we did. With Lynda.com or NAPP not only anyone can learn it, but most of us keep up with what's new every 2 weeks now that we're on the Cloud.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:04 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,468,462 times
better ditch the "more school" idea and get an internship or apprenticeship where you can learn some useful, practical skills in order to make a living -

so many people are depending on being hired solely with their sheepskin - not the case anymore, obviously.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:23 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,151,675 times
Yes. Internship. Great way to get the experience needed to go out into the world in many professions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
better ditch the "more school" idea and get an internship or apprenticeship where you can learn some useful, practical skills in order to make a living -

so many people are depending on being hired solely with their sheepskin - not the case anymore, obviously.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:27 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,207,250 times
Sound familiar?

More victims of alleged Trump University scam come forward supporting suit against The Donald - NY Daily News

Old 12-08-2013, 05:29 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,207,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Yes. Internship. Great way to get the experience needed to go out into the world in many professions.
Internships are not easy as it may sound. We give internship in my company but ONLY to those who are currently in school registered for the semester. Most internship I know are like that. That limits lots of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay