Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 08:34 AM

819 posts, read 1,409,929 times

Advertisements

Lyft provides liability insurance; that has no relation to the fact that you're utilizing your vehicle for business purposes which would normally result in a much different rate and plan from your collision/comprehensive insurer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2014, 01:48 PM

464 posts, read 645,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
The way I read is the company provides the insurance, so it's not really an increase risk for your own insurance.
The base rate for the car owner's insurance will likely be changed to the commercial/business rate which is always higher than personal use. Add to that the fact that the business at question is a livery service that is (so far) operating illegally in FL and it could be the owner's 'regular' insurer may walk away from the policy. Or increase rates substantially.

FYI: If you look at the fine print of any insurance policy (car, home, boat, business), there is always a nullification clause that says if the (car, home, boat, business) is used for an illegal activity, the insurance coverage is void.

As I've stated: I like this concept, but I wouldn't sign up as a driver without asking my insurer a lot of questions.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:02 PM

23 posts, read 31,440 times
Looks like Uber is here with free rides for two weeks!!

Uber Blog – TAMPA, YOUR UBERX IS ARRIVING NOW!

Old 04-13-2014, 07:43 PM

16 posts, read 16,255 times
Hey Guys just going to through my two cents in for a quick second. I am in Tampa for the week (From Chicago) and ironically I spoke with my Cabbie that drove us to the Airport. I asked him why they disliked lyft and uber x. He states that they are killing the taxi business. Cab drivers have to get a chauffeur license, which they pay out of pocket, he also says they have to get drug tested and have physicals performed and that some the drug tests are random. He says these ride sharing companies do not have to pay for medallions that each cab has to pay $300,000 to license the vehicle as a cab. $1,000,000 in NY btw. He also goes on to say that the vehicles have to be inspected every 6 months to comply with state and city laws, all of which these others do not have to do. So what I gathered from here what that they have to go a greater length to do the same thing to be legit in the city, and the ride sharing is reaping the benefits without paying to do the same. Also I have to add that these ride shares can charge you whatever they want, and jack up the price up to 5x during rush hour. I think the most astonishing thing that I took from this brief conversation is that the insurance that the ride shares carry doesn't completely cover the occupants in the vehicle after a certain amount which is crazy! So I am not bashing the ride shares but it has its pro' and con's as anything else. I think the prices are what wouldn't warrant a ride from them anytime soon. Again this was just my two cents.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:25 PM

819 posts, read 1,409,929 times
Hmm, as opposed to the Tampa cabbies that choose to ignore the regulations about rides that start and end in and out of the SOHO/downtown zone, or per person fares, not turning the meter on to 'save you money' and every other illegal trick they will do to jack the fare up. In any case, he lied to you about this mystery 5x higher fare during rush hour. You negotiate the fare and pay Lyft, you don't pay the driver directly nor do you pay based on some factor they have control over other than the route they drive.

The rest of it is all legacy bs. If a Lyft driver has a bad car, they'll get negative reviews and get bounced; just like any other routinely negative aspect of a review; Lyft will simply get rid of you if you're generating negative reviews regularly regardless of reason. If you get a bad cabbie, you complain and nothing ever happens. If your cabbie has a bad car, you complain and nothing ever happens because the cars rotate amongst drivers. The cab medallion; laughable. In Tampa, for example, only two cab companies, that greased the right pockets, can service the airport for outbound rides, but yeah, the taxi commission is just looking out for our best interests.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:42 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,100,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPayes1 View Post
Hey Guys just going to through my two cents in for a quick second. I am in Tampa for the week (From Chicago) and ironically I spoke with my Cabbie that drove us to the Airport. I asked him why they disliked lyft and uber x. He states that they are killing the taxi business. Cab drivers have to get a chauffeur license, which they pay out of pocket, he also says they have to get drug tested and have physicals performed and that some the drug tests are random. He says these ride sharing companies do not have to pay for medallions that each cab has to pay $300,000 to license the vehicle as a cab. $1,000,000 in NY btw. He also goes on to say that the vehicles have to be inspected every 6 months to comply with state and city laws, all of which these others do not have to do. So what I gathered from here what that they have to go a greater length to do the same thing to be legit in the city, and the ride sharing is reaping the benefits without paying to do the same. Also I have to add that these ride shares can charge you whatever they want, and jack up the price up to 5x during rush hour. I think the most astonishing thing that I took from this brief conversation is that the insurance that the ride shares carry doesn't completely cover the occupants in the vehicle after a certain amount which is crazy! So I am not bashing the ride shares but it has its pro' and con's as anything else. I think the prices are what wouldn't warrant a ride from them anytime soon. Again this was just my two cents.
Um, that is his problem. If that is the case, they should lower rates or find other ways to increase revenues. If someone can do it better and cheaper, you are out. That is America for you.

Sounds like he needs to quit and join Lyft or Uber.

Also, he is a complete liar saying they can "charge what they want." Ha, coming from a cab driver...that is really funny. They have set rates and no money is exchanged on the spot anyhow.

Not only that, but they even have a "happy hour" during a certain time of day when rides are CHEAPER to create more business. See that creativity, cab companies?

I don't feel bad one bit that the taxi business model is finally being challenged and threatened after all this time. Hell, if anyone deserves this service...it is the citizens of Tampa Bay who are gridlocked without a public mass transit system as other larger metropolitan areas. Instead, you have to take it really hard up the rear if you would like to have a few drinks at Dunedin Brewery with friends but you live in South Tampa.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:46 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,284,153 times
I am surprised that these services are staring in Hillsborough, which has the most restrictive transportation regulations anywhere. Even TaxiMagic (a great app to get taxis quickly) doesn't work in Hillsborough, only Pinellas. You may not recall, but a gentleman about a decade ago was running a towncar service in Tampa where he shuttled elderly patients to their medical appointments and dialysis services. The Commission put him out of business because he wasn't charging full limo rates of $50+ per ride.

I can't believe that this person is blaming the lack of public transit for the inconvenience of going 30+ miles door-to-door between distant cities while drunk. Really? And yes, those services can charge you whatever they like when they want. A Saturday night, when taxis are scarce, could turn a $60 cab ride into a $100 Uber ride. Educate yourself before posting again.

Last edited by Sunscape; 04-15-2014 at 07:45 AM..

Old 04-14-2014, 05:25 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,100,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
I am surprised that these services are staring in Hillsborough, which has the most restrictive transportation regulations anywhere. Even TaxiMagic (a great app to get taxis quickly) doesn't work in Hillsborough, only Pinellas. You may not recall, but a gentleman about a decade ago was running a towncar service in Tampa where he shuttled elderly patients to their medical appointments and dialysis services. The Commission put him out of business because he wasn't charging full limo rates of $50+ per ride.

I can't believe that this person is blaming the lack of public transit for the inconvenience of going 30+ miles door-to-door between distant cities while drunk. Really? And yes, those services can charge you whatever they like when they want. A Saturday night, when taxis are scarce, could turn a $60 cab ride into a $100 Uber ride. Educate yourself before posting again.
I am totally confused.

1. Where did I mention 30+ miles for a ride? I didn't mention any particular destinations, but I know that a $30 cab ride from say Miguel's in South Tampa to James Joyce in Ybor City is expensive when taking a cab. In Chicago, you can cover that distance for less than $2 with a public transportation system. With Lyft, it is at least under half that cost.

2. I'd be willing to bet that a large percentage of cab rides taken after the hours of 8pm on the weekend are due to impaired drivers trying to be safe. What is your problem with that? People should be able to enjoy themselves and all this area has to offer without the need to risk driving.

3. No, these services can *not* charge you "whatever they like when they want." The rates are fixed. Set. In stone. Not negotiable. Cab rides, not so much. A Saturday night when taxis are scarce, let taxi's raise their rates. People, like myself, will adapt to taking Lyft or Uber rather than the cab service.

4. Please educate me on what I am missing on. Have you had experience with public transportation, cab rides, and either Lyft or Uber? Explain to me how that $60 cab ride turns into a $100 Uber ride.

I am perplexed at the way you came at me for being "uneducated" when I feel I've researched and read quite a good bit on the topic.

Now, if you are just ultra-conservative and think my desire to catch a buzz and have someone drive me around while I pay (in reason) is petty and silly in your world...so be it. I don't think I am asking for much and glad the service is there.

EDIT: Your 30 mile reference may have been to my "Dunedin Brewery to South Tampa" comment, and while that is wishful thinking (only 20 miles, not 30 miles FYI) in any mass transit system...there are cities that have system covering that span. Either way, call a cab company or personal driving service for quote then do the math with Lyft/Uber.

Last edited by Sunscape; 04-15-2014 at 07:46 AM..

Old 04-14-2014, 06:08 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,284,153 times
SeaSpur forgets saying this: "if anyone deserves this service...it is the citizens of Tampa Bay who are gridlocked without a public mass transit system as other larger metropolitan areas. Instead, you have to take it really hard up the rear if you would like to have a few drinks at Dunedin Brewery with friends but you live in South Tampa."

Your example was Dunedin to South Tampa, a 25+ mile trip. The fare for Dunedin, FL to Datz Deli (an example I used for the middle of South Tampa) is $61.48 according to taxifarefinder.com. Plus tip, you are looking at a $70 fare. Why the government should be responsible for transporting your drunk self 25+ miles back home door-to-door is beyond me. If you decide to get drunk an hour away from home, you deserve to take it up the rear getting back.

SeaSpur mistakenly writes: "No, these services can *not* charge you "whatever they like when they want." The rates are fixed. Set. In stone. Not negotiable."

You are completely wrong on this topic. Completely. Wrong. Read on...

SeaSpur challenges me: "Please educate me on what I am missing on. Have you had experience with public transportation, cab rides, and either Lyft or Uber? Explain to me how that $60 cab ride turns into a $100 Uber ride. I am perplexed at the way you came at me for being "uneducated" when I feel I've researched and read quite a good bit on the topic."

I am about to educate you. Search "Uber surge pricing" since you apparently do not know how Uber works. At. All. In other cities, where these systems are prevalent, they change rates all the time. Need to get to the airport during rush hour? The rates double or triple. Need a ride on New Years Eve? The rates go up over 600%. That is a stone cold fact. Look it up and you might learn something.

That Saturday night Dunedin to South Tampa trip on Uber could cost you $150 if demand is running high at the time. I'm sorry, but it's true.

SeaSpur pulls out the big guns: "In Chicago, you can cover that distance for less than $2 with a public transportation system."

Really? You just compared the 1000+ square mile region of Pinellas/Hillsborough to downtown Chicago? You apparently are equating a several mile trip in urban Chicago to a 25+ mile Dunedin to South Tampa trip. Would you take public transit if you were going from Schaumburg to Orland Park (a similar trip)? Tell me how you would do that on a Saturday night at 11 pm.

Sure, it would be nice to have alternative taxi/limo systems, but the current system is not actually being challenged by Lyft and Uber. The current law is clear: these companies are specifically illegal in Hillsborough and Pinellas counties. That is why the authorities are handing out huge fines, and I expect an injunction soon if they don't back off -- you can't flagrantly and repeatedly violate the law.

Last edited by chi_tino; 04-14-2014 at 06:32 PM..

Old 04-14-2014, 07:31 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times
Why would demand ever drive the prices past what a cab charges? Wouldnt you request a uber ryde or whatever is called then see its $160 so instead you say screw that ill call a cab, if you dont then you prefer the uber ryde and want to pay a premium or you are just a dummy, either way it doesnt hurt the general public or that market. The theory behind the gov't partly paying for your soon to be drunk self to go to bar 20 miles away or 5 miles away is that it supports the local economy, its in the interest of the goverment to have thriving local businesses so they can employ its residents, pay taxes and so on. I get that it doesnt work when the demand its not there and I will grant you in Tampa it would probably not pay for itself but if private sector wants to take a stab at it why not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay