Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 02:24 PM

33 posts, read 121,465 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! My husband and I are strongly considering a move from CT to the Tampa Bay area this fall after he finishes nursing school, and it's always helpful to hear from people who live in and know the area well for employment and housing advice!

A little background on us: We are both 30, no kids yet. I have visited the area 15-20 times over the last 12 years, since my best friend moved down here, and am quite familiar with St. Petersburg (although not every neighborhood), Gulfport, and to a lesser degree, Clearwater (these are the areas where my best friend has lived over the years). We're looking at this as a temporary relocation - expecting to stay about 2-3 years before settling more permanently back in New England and starting our family (although who knows what will happen!). We aren't really looking for advice on whether or not to move to FL at this point - we have basically already made the decision to go as long as one of us can find a job first (a big "if")!

We would appreciate your advice on:
1. Housing / New Areas to Check Out in Tampa Bay region:
I love St. Pete, and I think I feel comfortable about the idea of moving to St. Pete or one of the surrounding towns because I'm most familiar with it. Of all the places my best friend has lived in the region, so far, Gulfport was my favorite - we would love to be able to rent a small house within a short drive/bike ride to downtown Gulfport. We love the small-town, old Florida feel of the place, and also love that it's only a quick drive to downtown St. Pete and the beaches.
But I'm curious, are there other towns/neighborhoods in this region that are similar to Gulfport that we should consider? We aren't really interested in living in a big apartment/condo complex. We'd be looking to spend $1000/month or less on rent. We are totally willing to trade modern amenities for character, charm, and a little privacy (even if "privacy" is just a screened in porch or a patio with some well-placed plants!). Don't have to be super close to the beach - 15-20 minute drive is OK - although of course the closer the better. Of course we would like to be somewhere relatively safe, but don't want to be in a gated community or anything, and coming from New Haven, CT, we can tolerate living in a neighborhood that experiences crime here and there (car break-ins, etc.) as long as we are at minimal risk of getting shot when we walk outside. Not worried about schools or any kid stuff since we don't have kids and don't plan to while in FL.
Any suggestions? My best friend has mentioned Dunedin as a similar possibility to me, for example...

2. Employment Prospects:
I have a background in nonprofit administration, fundraising, and social work (have an MSW), and I am open to doing pretty much anything in my field. My husband will be finishing nursing school this summer with his Bachelor's in Nursing (BSN) and an RN license. We are planning to start applying for jobs towards the middle - end of this summer, planning for an early to mid fall move. If anyone specifically works in either of these fields (social work/nonprofit sector or nursing) in the Tampa Bay area at all (specially in St. Pete area, but if you have any comparisons for these fields between Tampa/St. Pete, or other areas, that would also be helpful!!) and has any input on job prospects in these fields, salary expectations, etc. it'd be much appreciated! I am expecting to take some sort of pay cut for this move (just basing that on what my best friend makes vs. what similar jobs pay up here in CT), and that is OK, as long as I can still pay the bills.

As for nursing specifically, I am sure my hubby would appreciate any specific feedback from other RNs about hospitals & other employers in the area, pay ranges for new nurses, etc.

Also - if anyone has general advice about looking for jobs from afar, we'd love to hear it.

Our final decision about this move will be based on at least one of us securing employment before the move - I am thinking it may be slightly easier for him to find work as a nurse, then we move down and I find something once we're there, but we will see!

3. Commuting within the region
I have noticed that, at least for the nonprofit/social work field, there seem to be more job postings in Tampa than in St. Pete (probably because it's a bigger city?). So I'm curious - if we wanted to live in the St. Pete area but one of us found a job in Tampa, is that commute too insane? I've heard it sucks, but currently, I commute from southern CT to Hartford every day, which is about an hour each way (40 miles one way), so I am used to that. I'm sick of it, but if it meant getting a better job I might consider doing it again in FL! Couldn't handle more than an hour each way, and would prefer 1/2 hour or less each way. Anyone do this commute now and have any advice?
Would also be curious about anyone commuting from one town/city to another within the region, just to hear examples of how long various commutes may take, so that I can keep that in mind as we look for both housing and jobs around the area. Thanks!

Thank you so much for your help in any of these areas! Linking us to existing threads where you have already answered similar questions is OK too!

Last edited by shanhou3; 04-21-2014 at 02:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 03:04 PM

18 posts, read 22,351 times
The downtown St. Petersburg area has been cleaned up tremendously within the past 5 years. There are a few hospitals within reasonable distance and always job opportunities in the city. If you are active, and like to interact with the community there are a lot of great bonuses in this area. It is great if you are active(bike rides, jogs, walking your dog) and tons of craft shows and morning markets that you can attend. Everything is within walking distances as well such as restaurants, bars, clubs, salons, and much more. Gulfport can be a great area depending on the location you choose. Also, to make the commute to Tampa everyday would be about 30 minutes to an hour depending on traffic. Pinellas County welcomes you, you will love it here!

Last edited by Keeper; 04-21-2014 at 03:32 PM..

Old 04-22-2014, 04:30 PM

33 posts, read 121,465 times
Thanks! I love downtown St. Pete, and love Saturday morning market, tapas at Ceviche and concerts at Jannus! Only thing I'd be worried about is having to live in a big apartment building vs. being able to rent a small house. Any input on neighborhoods close to downtown that might have more house rental options that are not super expensive? I am only familiar with the immediate downtown area and it seems like a lot of high rise apartment buildings, which are nice but not really for us.

Also, would still love to hear from anyone who's made a similar move or is working in the social work or nursing fields in FL currently and can tell us about it!

Old 04-23-2014, 06:13 AM

770 posts, read 1,131,483 times
I think Gulfport would be a good place for you. Cheaper, charming and 15 mins from downtown St. Pete. In a sense, town and country.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:56 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,166,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanhou3 View Post
Thanks! I love downtown St. Pete, and love Saturday morning market, tapas at Ceviche and concerts at Jannus! Only thing I'd be worried about is having to live in a big apartment building vs. being able to rent a small house. Any input on neighborhoods close to downtown that might have more house rental options that are not super expensive? I am only familiar with the immediate downtown area and it seems like a lot of high rise apartment buildings, which are nice but not really for us.

Also, would still love to hear from anyone who's made a similar move or is working in the social work or nursing fields in FL currently and can tell us about it!
No advice (same boat w. Downtown) but also love love love the Saturday markets (can we get more?) tapas and the taco bus and that great thai place on Central. Missing it so much right about now.

Anyone who has a new place to eat downtown they've discovered recently (or not new) please post or dm me. Going back soon.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:52 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,420,117 times
I am interested to read the responses to your questions...I am thinking about moving to Florida because my son has sever allergies/asthma and I'd like to be near the coast.
I am completing the last practicum for my MSAC (Master of Science Addiction Counseling) and wonder about employment and salary expectations in the Tampa area. I don't mind commuting.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:12 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
I am interested to read the responses to your questions...I am thinking about moving to Florida because my son has sever allergies/asthma and I'd like to be near the coast.
I am completing the last practicum for my MSAC (Master of Science Addiction Counseling) and wonder about employment and salary expectations in the Tampa area. I don't mind commuting.
Seems like many job options//
https://www.google.ca/#q=addiction+c...fl&safe=active

Old 04-24-2014, 02:04 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,420,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Thank you Jambo101...I will continue to look at the Tampa threads on CD.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:51 PM

770 posts, read 1,131,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
'

We have a pretty wicked pollen season here. Please keep that in mind.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:17 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post
'

We have a pretty wicked pollen season here. Please keep that in mind.
Yep, stay away from south Tampa or most established neighborhoods they are full of oak trees, I went from mild allergies to severe ones once I moved here. I know puerile who live by the water that don't have that problem, but you would almost be restricted to that area for a good month out of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay