Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2010, 02:15 AM

325 posts, read 979,466 times

Advertisements

I was entertaining possibly opening a jazz/blues restaurant that would offer live entertainment Friday and Saturday. How would locals respond to such an establishment? Are these type of establishments oversaturated in the Tampa area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 06:16 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,654,488 times
Where would you open it? I think it may depend on what area you are looking at. What would set your place apart from all the other jazz/blues restaurants?

Old 04-21-2010, 01:07 PM

I am not exactly sure WHERE in the Tampa area. Still doing the research on that part. What would set it apart? The cuisine as well as the acts. I have lived around the world and would incorporate that in the menu. Good food and GOOD musical acts that people may not have heard of otherwise. I have pretty good band connections around the country (and world ). I have not heard of any jazz/blues restaurants in Tampa, even though I am sure there are some. A poster posted a thread about where one was and no one could really answer where a good one was, so I am trying to see how big they are down in that area. I am from Atlanta, and that city is WAAAYY oversaturated with establishments like that so I'm trying to tap into a market where there may be very very few.....

Old 04-21-2010, 02:53 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,606,162 times
Bring it to St. Pete. I would love to hang out there. There are some jazz clubs there, but I think it's far from saturated. The St. Pete crowd would be more likely to make it a success than Tampa, from what I understand of the area so far (haven't been here long yet).

Old 04-21-2010, 04:55 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,377,735 times
There are seceral but the area is definitely NOT saturated. Some areas in Tampa to consider:

Ybor City - picure a smaller version of French Quarter in New Orlaeans. Niche places are successful, great Jazz and/or blues with great food and service - Ybor needs more of these. I remember the Jazz Cellar across from Cafe Creole(also gone), very popular places, not sure what happened to them.

Channelside or Bay Street - these are entertainment/shopping/dining complexes, theme restaurants do well in these areas.

Hyde Park Village - upscale area, again, could use a nice Jazz/Blues place(anyone remember Salena's in the Village?)

Old 04-21-2010, 06:02 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,599,018 times
I promise if you bring Memphis Blues and real BBQ to Carrollwood, that I will be a regular. Honestly, I don't know if the demographics of the area would support it, you'll just have to do the research first.

TG03, I have stood in line at Salena's during lunch time. Good food and good atmosphere. I surely miss it.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:20 PM

16 posts, read 37,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
What would set your place apart from all the other jazz/blues restaurants?
Is this a joke? Please name me five, no three, no TWO jazz/blues restaurants in Tampa that have good music and good food.

I'm serious, I've lived here for close to 30 years. The old Fox on Westshore was decent but it closed years ago.

The new Fox, which just bought the name, on Kennedy Boulevard just before the bridge, was spotty, but it was okay sometimes. They closed very recently.

As far as I know, there isn't even one good jazz/blues joint with good food in Tampa, not one.

There's a market here for one. A good quality place promoted the right way would make a ton in Tampa, I think.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:24 PM

16 posts, read 37,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
I promise if you bring Memphis Blues and real BBQ to Carrollwood, that I will be a regular. Honestly, I don't know if the demographics of the area would support it, you'll just have to do the research first.

TG03, I have stood in line at Salena's during lunch time. Good food and good atmosphere. I surely miss it.
If you're talking about the place that was in Hyde Park for about 15 years, maybe more come to think of it, the name was Selena's. And it was a great place.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:43 AM

Well I want to thank everyone for their input. All this insight makes this seem like a very promising idea. I will continue doing my research but please keep the post coming with your opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay