Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 03:32 PM

329 posts, read 774,931 times

Advertisements

never heard that one "Gulfportian" interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 11:09 PM

7,771 posts, read 6,379,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfporter View Post
I don't have ANY of that nonsense in my current neighborhood....in fact never had that in any neighborhood we ever lived in. We do a lot of research and have always been attracted to nicer streets, better areas and have been willing to pay more for the perfect place. Never lived in a gated community (even in Mexico), and never will. Don't care for the mindset.

YMMV.

Being willing to pay and being able to pay are two different things.

Long ago I learned that every neighborhood has an a$$hole, but they are less conspicuous in 55+ communities.

Without kids noise, graffiti, vandalism and similar annoyances are not as common.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:42 AM

464 posts, read 645,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Being willing to pay and being able to pay are two different things.

Long ago I learned that every neighborhood has an a$$hole, but they are less conspicuous in 55+ communities.

Without kids noise, graffiti, vandalism and similar annoyances are not as common.
We don't have lots of kids nearby; HS and middle school kids a few doors down. Parents are upper middle-class based on careers/home/cars. Nice quiet kids; the older one has done some miscellaneous yard work for us. There is also a young couple with a toddler nearby; it's so nice to see them out for a stroll every evening.

Like I said, we've never lived in a gated or age-based community and have never had problems with neighbors; most of our longtime best friends are former neighbors and we still go on vacation with some of them.

I'd like to think we are smart when we pick homes; do a lot of research BEFORE we buy re: who owns, who rents, how long in their homes, etc. We typically walk around a potential home many many times, day and especially night to check out behavior, noise, etc. We try to meet and talk to potential neighbors, before we make an offer on a house. Don't want any surprises and never had any.

We stayed at two different 55+ communities in different states, visiting friends (AZ and VA). They were OK, but at my age, do I really want someone to tell me what color my front door can be??? Or tell me I can't hang string lights on my house?? And those potlucks at the clubhouses....not my cup of tea.

We have been very lucky in our lives, had good careers and a business, retired at age 50. We can afford to pretty much live anywhere we want and are happy that we found Gulfport.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:03 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,195,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
My Mom (78) and Dad (80) currently live in Massachusetts and are at the point where taking care of their house and yard are getting to be too much. Plus my Mom suffers a lot for S.A.D. during the winter. They are both set in their ways and usually only comfortable in their limited surroundings, Dad in particular, but they keep thinking about moving to a villa or single story condo (nobody above or below) in North Pinellas....near us. They are really struggling with what to do, as they know they cannot handle their current responsibilities, yet are so afraid of change. They also greatly fear driving in traffic and where they are unfamiliar, yet if they sell their current home and get a villa or condo, they would only do so here.

So my question for y'all is how did it work out for your parents moving down or you if you are near my parents age? Where was the move from and where to here? How did you or your parents cope? How long before a home was purchased? Where was it purchased? How long did it take to adjust to the Tampa bay lifestyle, for someone of that age? Are they/you more outgoing and active here or less so? Did they/you sell everything and start over here or was everything moved.

I am just trying to understand real life experiences for people of their age group, moving to Tampa Bay.

Thx y'all.

Jack R.
If they are set in their ways, why don't they just sell their current house and buy a condo in Mass close to where they live now ? They could still spend the winters with you so your mother would not be affected so much. Best of both worlds - they keep their friends in Mass and get out of dodge when it gets cold and snowy.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:20 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,896,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
If they are set in their ways, why don't they just sell their current house and buy a condo in Mass close to where they live now ? They could still spend the winters with you so your mother would not be affected so much. Best of both worlds - they keep their friends in Mass and get out of dodge when it gets cold and snowy.
They really do not have good options anywhere close to where they live. I think their rationale is that if they have to give up on what they have, they would want to go big. I think they are really struggling with the reality that they are at the age where they can no longer be who they once were. I can totally understand that.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:36 AM

877 posts, read 1,912,183 times
My parents are moving to The Villages this week actually. Lots for them to do and close enough to Tampa that I can visit easily.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:31 AM

7,771 posts, read 6,379,741 times
Something I have noticed over the years is that the folks who bad-mouth 55+ communities have never lived in one. Our experience is that the residents tend to look out for each other.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:08 PM

35,687 posts, read 21,039,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Something I have noticed over the years is that the folks who bad-mouth 55+ communities have never lived in one. Our experience is that the residents tend to look out for each other.
sure--- if you are made of the same cloth... lived in 2 and never again... ever- never- that movie the Cocoon... all lies.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:22 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,649,029 times
I'm not sure if this is an "urban legend"...but don't the Villages have a reputation for having a really high STD rate???

Old 08-19-2014, 06:41 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,896,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I'm not sure if this is an "urban legend"...but don't the Villages have a reputation for having a really high STD rate???
Yes, it is true. They must be having fun.....LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay