Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 06:59 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl1150 View Post
What are you talking about ?
I feel the same way. I live in Palma Ceia most people consider S Tampa urban because it's in the city of Tampa limits but it's as suburban as any other suburbs around any metropolitan area. I consider south Tampa to be suburbs with a shorter drive. The area I would consider urban would be channelside harbour island really small pockets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 07:16 PM

776 posts, read 1,063,381 times
Yeah, I don't think I agree with that prior post comment either. About urban living. And using the word URBAN in a place like Tampa is a bit of a stretch anyway. I just want to be able to get places on foot or bike and not alway have to be in my car to go everywhere. I'm not naive, I know Tampa is a commuter town, but I'm sure there are walkable neighborhoods. The thread wasn't meant to get into all that though. My concern really is the high school comparisons if anyone has any experiences to share.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:36 PM

734 posts, read 920,814 times
Your commute from New Tampa to downtown will suck unless you're commuting during off hours.

Just throwing that out there.

Old 12-02-2014, 11:41 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,790,135 times
Once again this is not NYC or Philly this is Tampa some people just don't seem to get that you cant always compare some giant 6 million plus urban area to a smaller growing city like here. The areas the OP was talking about are essentially what we have here. Basically very populated suburbs that are called cities based on the population numbers. San Fran is one of smallest cities in Land area in the united states but it is also one of the most densely populated cities in the country so small doesn't necessarily mean non existent.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:11 AM

212 posts, read 286,546 times
Plant HS has the best ratings and is in South Tampa. I think your desire for 3,000 sf and a 3 car garage and a 350K budget may rule out South Tampa. You mentioned liking Carrollwood and this is why I suggested looking on Van Dyke Road in the Steinbrenner school district. Steinbrenner is typically considered the second best HS but others like Sickle are good and close to Steinbrenner. I have a friend who is in the Sickle district and she says that Steinbrenner is a little more competitive than Sickles (just one mom's opinion).

When I started looking at places in the area about this time last year, both Carrollwood and New Tampa were areas that interested me. However once I looked at the schools I realized that they may have good elementary and middle but were zoned for lower rated high schools. This is why I looked only in the Steinbrenner school district. There are options in your price range for a 4 bedroom 350K house also. We live in a community called Stonebrier off of Lutz Lake Fern. Prices for 4 bedrooms range from the low 300's to about $425K (there are different price points in the different sections). It is a nice community with lots of kids. One of our neighbors had Christmas party for the entire section that we live in last Friday. We had over 125 kids come trick or treating on Halloween.

I realize the commute to downtown is not the best and it is suburban but you do get some of the best schools in the Tampa area. We have several neighbors that actually commute to downtown Saint Pete because they really like the neighborhood and the schools. I work on Harbor Island, which is just south of downtown. In my office of about 40 people, 6 actually live in the Lutz and commute. My commute times range for 35 to 45 minutes depending on the time I leave. When I come in early, I can be in my parking garage in about 30 minutes. If you are coming from Fairfax, VA this would be something that you are used to.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:39 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,655,639 times
We live in Tampa Palms. My daughter goes to Freedom High School. She likes going there, but I don't like the school very much. I agree with those recommending Steinbrenner. Much better school. There are fights almost every day. The teachers are so-so. Some good teachers, but mostly so-so. They tolerate medocracy from their staff. She took AP Human Geography. The teacher would teach for 15 minutes, then go on her cell phone the rest of the time. She showed the movie "Babies". When it showed breast feeding, she fast forwarded that part and said it was gross and no one wants to see that.

I hear Wharton is not much better. You can also look up schools from www.greatschools.net

Old 12-06-2014, 08:42 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,165,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
We live in Tampa Palms. My daughter goes to Freedom High School. She likes going there, but I don't like the school very much. I agree with those recommending Steinbrenner. Much better school. There are fights almost every day. The teachers are so-so. Some good teachers, but mostly so-so. They tolerate medocracy from their staff. She took AP Human Geography. The teacher would teach for 15 minutes, then go on her cell phone the rest of the time. She showed the movie "Babies". When it showed breast feeding, she fast forwarded that part and said it was gross and no one wants to see that.

I hear Wharton is not much better. You can also look up schools from www.greatschools.net
Fights almost every day where?

Old 12-08-2014, 03:06 PM

776 posts, read 1,063,381 times
I am really discouraged over the NEW Tampa area. I actually like the area and neighborhoods a lot but cant believe how negative everyones reviews are. I cant help buy to wonder if the ratings on great schools and peoples comments are because of certain standards or if it is really that bad? How would Wharton or Freedom High compare to a High School in Alexandria VA or Charlotte NC or Arlington TX ? CAn it really be that bad? Fights every day? ass in FIGHTS or spats.... when I went to high school, we had real Fights every day, and I made it through even having been in some of them. Honestly, kids and schools seem like such pansies now days, it is hard for me to imagine what "FIGHTS" really are like now days.

I just want a decent environment, where my sons can have a normal experience and not be expected to act like such ******* (excuse my French) Im not expecting them to get into fights and cause trouble, but a little adversity never hurt anyone.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:41 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
If thats your bar you would be better suited looking at the test scores on indicators on academic performance only which you can find here
School Accountability Report .

On a side note, I think the internet in general has developed a lot of subgroups, people can now find like minded people no matter what their interest are, some of that has carried over to high schools where kids are exposed to all kinds of people, as before you would have jocks and nerds now there are a plethora of groups that kids identify with and that makes kids generally have more acceptance of each other, in the other hand kids have it worse in that they are never disconnected, when kids get bullied is not over once school ends, it carries over social media, texts etc its a constant torment, so in a lot of ways I rather get punched in the face once or twice than to suffer systematic bullying over social networks those scars are deeper.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:49 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
I am really discouraged over the NEW Tampa area. I actually like the area and neighborhoods a lot but cant believe how negative everyones reviews are. I cant help buy to wonder if the ratings on great schools and peoples comments are because of certain standards or if it is really that bad? How would Wharton or Freedom High compare to a High School in Alexandria VA or Charlotte NC or Arlington TX ? CAn it really be that bad? Fights every day? ass in FIGHTS or spats.... when I went to high school, we had real Fights every day, and I made it through even having been in some of them. Honestly, kids and schools seem like such pansies now days, it is hard for me to imagine what "FIGHTS" really are like now days.

I just want a decent environment, where my sons can have a normal experience and not be expected to act like such ******* (excuse my French) Im not expecting them to get into fights and cause trouble, but a little adversity never hurt anyone.
Not exactly what you wanted to hear, ha?

If you are one of those parents who are involved in their kids education, you would be fine in any school. Heck, you can even keep them at home and get them ready to collage. But if you are like many parents that don't pay too much attention to their kids, then you probably need the structured guidance he/she would get from a good school. You only know which of the two parents you are .

There are always few students that stand out whichever school they are in and those are the anecdotal example that people pull out to make the case. Otherwise, the data from the education department tells you have the mass is performing. It is just telling you there is a much more chance of success on these schools than others. That's it, chance of success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay