Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 08:58 AM

6 posts, read 5,582 times

Advertisements

I recently graduated from college with a major in Accounting and Finance. I graduated with honors and have a 3.7/4.0 GPA. I have done an internship with a public CPA firm during tax season and have had a private accounting position which has exposed me to a variety of accounting and finance responsibilities (approx. 1 year of experience in private sector). I am currently in the process of studying to take the CPA exam and become a licensed CPA. I will be moving to the Tampa area at the beginning of 2016 and am looking for feedback on the job market. Will I find it difficult to find a job in Tampa? What do firms typically start new employees at for salary? What is life like in Tampa (Tampa area)? I am young and engaged and enjoy golf, outdoors, beach, walking our dog. Looking for honest feedback please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 09:00 AM

101 posts, read 114,085 times
Depends on if you're going the audit track or tax track and if you're going into public accounting. Either way, the market is hot and finding a job should not be difficult.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:02 AM

350 posts, read 333,785 times
Welcome!!! Does your college have a placement service? That might help!

Old 07-24-2015, 09:26 AM

I have done tax work and enjoyed it as much as one can enjoy a busy tax season. I am very interested in audit. I would consider the right private sector company depending on resposibilities and workload. I really hate being bored or having little to do during a work day/week.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:13 PM

101 posts, read 114,085 times
Traditionally one picks a track as they are very different. Do some soul searching and figure out which you like best and then go from there. If you're just getting started you'll probably have to pay your dues and start in public accounting. This also depends on age.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:28 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,022,001 times
I happen to be a CPA here in Tampa with an MBA as well (but I don't work in public accounting), and my experience with the Tampa job market has been dismal at best. Interviews are hard to get and salaries are lackluster. Your typical staff accounting job will only pay about $40,000, often less. Anything less than 3-4 years of experience, and most job applications will be ignored.

Public accounting firms usually only hire entry level positions from college recruiting. Once you're out of college, if you miss the boat, it's hard to get a public accounting job after you've already graduated. But if you've got like 5 years public experience, many accounting firms tend to have senior openings on their job pages that you'd be qualified for. But they'll work you gobs of overtime which a lot of firms don't pay extra for.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:43 AM

299 posts, read 378,447 times
Accounting grad (not CPA) with an MBA with 25 years of CFO experience. Never worked in Public Accounting. Trying to find a job here has been almost impossible. Maybe fresh out of school you will have better luck than me. When you see me meeting you at the Walmart please say hello!

Old 07-26-2015, 11:14 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,700,734 times
the New Tampa area is nice to live in and safe but depends on the job best of luck!

Old 08-21-2015, 08:23 AM

Please keep the comments coming looking for both good and bad feedback on our move to Tampa.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:01 PM

17,540 posts, read 39,160,131 times
Look and see if there are any openings with Hillsborough County. Those jobs typically pay pretty well and have good benefits and pension. Hillsborough County is booming now, my husband works for the county and is very busy and it's looking good for years to come.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay