Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 02:21 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,855,495 times

Advertisements

The flooding this year is completely out of control. Are there any people on this board that have lived in South Tampa for many years and can explain how this problem has been allowed to go on for so long, without any fix? Has the flooding always been this bad? Or has it gotten worse over the years?

I find it astonishing that nothing has been done to remedy this.
I have seen articles talking about fixing the lake that forms at Kennedy/Henderson but to be frank it's a widespread problem all over South Tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 04:45 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,101,366 times
Because while it does flood and pose some traffic issues...it's never permanent and usually disappears within a couple hours to a safe level. It just rains so hard in a short period of time that drainage can't control it.

I drive a truck so it doesn't stop me :-)

Old 06-19-2015, 04:53 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,240,342 times
they are constantly trying to make it better, they actually have it made it quite a bit better. I cant remember which street it its on (somewhere just north of gandy between macdill and bayshore) they tore down a house, build a pump station (which looks like a house to fit in the neighborhood) and is supposed to assist pumping the water out to the bay.

The issue is that the area is old and so close to sea level, I doubt it will ever be great.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:44 AM

So it's been perfectly acceptable all these years for people in South Tampa to have their calls stall out/engines destroyed by this high water?

Old 06-22-2015, 10:02 AM

745 posts, read 801,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
So it's been perfectly acceptable all these years for people in South Tampa to have their calls stall out/engines destroyed by this high water?
Yes...

You live in an area like that, you get what comes with the territory. Just like the people on the beach expect that any day their homes can be destroyed by a hurricane, or if you live in Oklahoma, you expect your home to be destroyed by a tornado, of if you live in suitcase city you expect to be robbed daily

Old 06-22-2015, 10:06 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
or is this something new?
Quote:
The flooding this year is completely out of control. Are there any people on this board that have lived in South Tampa for many years and can explain how this problem has been allowed to go on for so long, without any fix? Has the flooding always been this bad? Or has it gotten worse over the years?

I find it astonishing that nothing has been done to remedy this.
I have seen articles talking about fixing the lake that forms at Kennedy/Henderson but to be frank it's a widespread problem all over South Tampa.
What is the cause of this flooding? has it always been this way?or is this a recent problem.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:09 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,013,577 times
Quote:
I don't think is as big issue as you make it sound, you need some common sense, the same spots get flooded just avoid them, if you see a pool in front of you don't drive to it, last storm I was at the intersection of Mabry Henderson a complete pool there were cars stuck in the water and some people were still driving through it. I drive an SUV and I don't drive through water because it's not worth it

Old 06-22-2015, 10:30 AM

It's not just that intersection at Mabry/Henderson. It's many many streets. Like the intersection at Swann/Church. And DeLeon street regularly becomes a lake. The areas near Bayshore are the worst. It's a much bigger problem than one or two intersections. It's like 50-100 intersections and many many streets.

I just don't understand how it's been allowed to go on. Every afternoon I am seeing cars stalled out. The last one I saw was at Morrison/Himes. And Morrison/Lincoln is a veritable river. Impassable.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:46 AM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,526,252 times
Quote:
It's not that big of a deal to me to just drive around the flooded intersection. It only happens when we get a really big rain in a really short time and it can happen anywhere around Tampa.

I think it's worse around S.Tampa during high tide since there's no place for the water to run off.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:01 AM

621 posts, read 1,616,145 times
I worked in south Tampa for 15 years before I moved away. Right off Deleon and Swann. If you see high/standing water at an intersection, turn around. The entire area is so close to sea level, there is no good place for the water to drain when it rains as hard as it does in summer. You find another route or wait it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: