Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 04:48 PM

149 posts, read 197,246 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at Trinity as a place to move, but now exploring from there east along the highway or state road 54 corridor over to Lutz and Land O Lakes. After doing more research I see the central and southwestern parts of Florida are sinkhole prone. How does the highway 54 corridor rank within the Tampa Bay area? What about sinkhole insurance in this zone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 06:24 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,324,022 times
The bottom is going to fall out at any moment.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:33 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,464,951 times
I live right in the middle of Land O Lakes. I don't know anyone that has had problems with Sink Holes in this area. I will not say they will never happen, but I know that I dropped my sinkhole insurance this year after paying for too long for something that I feel I do not need.

Trinity gets you a little closer to where most have been reported, but it is very rare there also. New Port Richey and Port Richey (along with Hudson and Spring Hill) have had more reported.

But if you drive along HWY 54 (starting from the West) you go from Trinity into Land O Lakes (Concord Station is a very large area and I have never read of any sinkholes there), then you see a few more subdivisions as you come up to HWY 41. Continue East and there are subdivisions on both sides of HWY 54 all the way through into Wesley Chapel. FYI: The Odessa and Lutz areas are South of 54 and the same, I have not heard or read of any in there.

I look through listings all day long. Occasionally you see a home listed in outside of Western Pasco County, but it is so very rare. You can get a test done before buying, I have put a link in here that you may find useful

Sinkhole : Florida Insurance Law Blog

Map of Sinkhole reports from 2008:
Sinkholes of Pasco County, Florida , 2008

Old 09-05-2012, 03:57 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,651,257 times
The blue areas are where you have the highest sinkhole incidence but they can occur anywhere. The vast majority that do occur do not cause you to need to leave your home and once repaired generally cause no more problems.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:11 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,127,272 times
Sink holes are more or less a way of life around here. Most likely your lender is going to require you have Sink Hole coverage.

Last edited by Sunscape; 09-05-2012 at 08:56 AM..

Old 09-05-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
The blue areas are where you have the highest sinkhole incidence but they can occur anywhere. The vast majority that do occur do not cause you to need to leave your home and once repaired generally cause no more problems.

Where is the factual basis for that map? It shows most of Hillsborough and all of pinellas as "blue" which you say is the highest risk. You never hear about sinkhole issues in Hillsborough and Pinellas...

Old 09-05-2012, 08:16 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Where is the factual basis for that map? It shows most of Hillsborough and all of pinellas as "blue" which you say is the highest risk. You never hear about sinkhole issues in Hillsborough and Pinellas...
Here is another site showing the top 10 sinkhole couties in FL - Pasco #1, and both Hillsborough and Pinellas on the list:

Florida's Top 10 Sinkhole-Prone Counties

Old 09-05-2012, 08:18 AM

315 posts, read 652,628 times
That map is a good map, but to be honest, it can happen to any property in Florida. Sometimes it is luck of the draw. Insurance is a must!

Apparently sinkhole insurance fraud is a huge thing too.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
That map is a good map, but to be honest, it can happen to any property in Florida. Sometimes it is luck of the draw. Insurance is a must!

Apparently sinkhole insurance fraud is a huge thing too.
You dont need sinkhole insurance.

FACT: Your base homeowners insurance has to, by law, cover you for "catastrophic" sinkhole damage. What this is, is, a sinkhole opens and causes a crack in your foundation or structural damage to the outside walls, causes settling or sinking, etc. You cannot opt out of this, and your carrier cannot remove it from your coverage

All "sinkhole insurance" does, it is fixes issues which are not structural. And yes, there is a lot of fraud.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:51 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,206,774 times
Here is a list of all the sinkholes in Hillsborough county as of 2008
Sinkholes of Hillsborough County, Florida , 2008

For Pasco county
Sinkholes of Pasco County, Florida , 2008

The map that Mike listed shows the type of soil for that color and the type of sinkholes you would be prone to having.

Sinkholes can happen in many places it just takes the right formula of soil and water
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay