Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 05:46 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times

Advertisements

Lien placed on Pasco woman's home after contractor fails to pay for supplies

Unbelievable. This law needs to be changed immediately!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 06:09 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,822,612 times
Oof...

Agreed regarding the law...

Old 05-03-2016, 06:11 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Understanding Mechanic's Liens - FindLaw

Old 05-03-2016, 07:42 PM

Keep in mind that we have seen home owners of recently new build homes getting liens on their homes after they had closed on their homes as the builder hadn't paid contractors. I believe it got resolved but still scary and horrible for the people who thought to be happy new home owners and than having sleepless nights due to liens they had to deal wit.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:17 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,804,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Keep in mind that we have seen home owners of recently new build homes getting liens on their homes after they had closed on their homes as the builder hadn't paid contractors. I believe it got resolved but still scary and horrible for the people who thought to be happy new home owners and than having sleepless nights due to liens they had to deal wit.
If you referring to Estancia, the lie situation was resolved at least with people I know personally.
From my understanding the part of the problem was Standard Pacific becoming CalAtlantic...

But I agree, law must be changed as soon as possible! It's ridiculous

Old 05-04-2016, 10:02 AM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,523,924 times
These lien laws are nothing new, its been this way for years? I'm not sure if they will be changed. Only thing I can think of is if you hire a contractor your not familiar with you should really make sure that the materials and the sub's have been paid for before you the homeowner makes the final pymt to contractor.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
These lien laws are nothing new, its been this way for years? I'm not sure if they will be changed. Only thing I can think of is if you hire a contractor your not familiar with you should really make sure that the materials and the sub's have been paid for before you the homeowner makes the final pymt to contractor.
That may be harder to find out. How do you know the contractor is paying all his bills and even if they show you a bill how will you know there aren't more bills or if that supply was used for your house as the contractor may have some pyramid of bills and being far behind. Maybe the bill the contractor shows is a bill for other jobs.

The only way is to pay directly for the supplies and the contractor for his labor.

Old 05-04-2016, 04:21 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,584,614 times
Lots of time the subcontractor will buy the material and install it in the home. Then the contractor will not pay the sub. Put yourself in the subcontractors shoes who didn't get paid. Because the homeowner found the cheapest bid without doing their do diligence when interviewing contractors the subcontractor should not suffer as well. Its his last chance to get paid for work done. The homeowner needs to be looking at the contractor that they hired, not the subs and suppliers. The homeowner should not profit by the misfortune of others.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:48 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,815,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
Lots of time the subcontractor will buy the material and install it in the home. Then the contractor will not pay the sub. Put yourself in the subcontractors shoes who didn't get paid. Because the homeowner found the cheapest bid without doing their do diligence when interviewing contractors the subcontractor should not suffer as well. Its his last chance to get paid for work done. The homeowner needs to be looking at the contractor that they hired, not the subs and suppliers. The homeowner should not profit by the misfortune of others.
I respectfully disagree with you. To me, it's very simple. The person who did wrong is at fault and should be held accountable. If the contractor got paid by the new home owner and then the contractor chose to not pay his bills, then the contractor did wrong and should be held accountable. The people who are owed money should go after the person who they had a contract with and had promised to pay them.

Think about it this way. You go buy a new car. Paid for it in full. Then the car maker chooses to not pay the people that built that car or the people that sold them the parts for the car. Should they be able to come after you since you are now the owner of the car?

Old 05-04-2016, 06:11 PM

809 posts, read 746,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post

Hey Mr. Viking, what business are you in? Please tell me so I can buy services from you >>>> NOT <<<<
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay