Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2017, 11:27 AM

13 posts, read 17,576 times

Advertisements

My family and I are looking to move to the Tampa Bay area from the northeast. We have two boys, 8 and 10. Schools are very important to us, especially since the youngest has dyslexia. That being said, we are both willing to put in the work to make sure our kids do well regardless of where they go to school. We don't need "the best" school, but we want it to be a solid experience for our kids with good options. I have read many forums and reviews by parents in Safety Harbor saying they love the schools, but yet on many rating sites Safety Harbor is rated as average or just above average. Any thoughts on this? We are also considering Palm Harbor, but the downtown area and family friendly nature of Safety Harbor appeals to us. We want to be close to the beaches and coast, hence our search on that side of the bay.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2017, 03:38 PM

88 posts, read 108,499 times
These ratings change year to year, and much depends on test scores. My wife is a teacher and all of her co teachers have been together for years in her elementary school. Their rating has ranged from 5-8 over the last 3 years. All of the same teachers are there, and the student to teacher ratios have been consistent. So keep in mind a school that is a 6 this year, could be an 8 next year. In general Palm Harbor, Safety Harbor, and Westchase have very good schools.

Old 03-06-2017, 04:59 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,747,929 times
Safety Harbor and Palm Harbor have great schools.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:26 PM

232 posts, read 348,196 times
Safety Harbor has such a great small town vibe, I feel like it's a great place to raise a family. Being as hands on and involved as you are as a parent, your children will be successful regardless of statistics.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:23 AM

38 posts, read 49,068 times
We moved to Palm Harbor a little over a year ago with schools being a priority and chose between the same 2 towns...haven't regretted it a bit - the schools have been great - in addition if you are on the west side of 19 you are quite a bit closer to the beach and downtown Palm Harbor (albeit very small) is still pretty cool - not as neat as Safety Harbor but nice! You pay for it in the housing costs but for us it has been worth it.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:34 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alecci View Post
These ratings change year to year, and much depends on test scores. My wife is a teacher and all of her co teachers have been together for years in her elementary school. Their rating has ranged from 5-8 over the last 3 years. All of the same teachers are there, and the student to teacher ratios have been consistent. So keep in mind a school that is a 6 this year, could be an 8 next year. In general Palm Harbor, Safety Harbor, and Westchase have very good schools.
Very interesting!

I wish someone actually does a research on it. If all the teachers are the same, teaching the same thing and assuming that they would give similar effort every year (?), then what could be impacting their score may be parental input. I always say some zip codes such as where I live makes a school look great because all the parents are working together with teachers, difficult to tease out the impact of different variables. Always, interesting to hear this kind of information. Thanks

Old 03-09-2017, 08:03 AM

13 posts, read 17,576 times
Thank so much for the feedback. We are moving from the Boston area, and our schools are excellent (though super high pressure and competitive which is not always a good thing...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay