Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 11:16 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
What do you consider "the main drag in TNC?" I'm talking about inexpensive apartments on Waters near Hanley like the one that other poster mentioned.
I was talking about Hanley from Waters to Hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
If $800 a month for rent is stretching it (which would still cause you to live in a far out area), and you will have to work two jobs to survive, then how is that any different from your life now in Chicago?
That's what I was wondering. Your working 2 jobs just to pay $800 dollars. $800 rent is very cheap.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:48 PM

195 posts, read 214,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Just a run down part of the Tampa area. Just drive around and take a look.
I will take a look but it doesn't sound too promising. I won't scratch it off the list yet, but it's definitely not my top round draft pick.

Quote:
You won't be doing that last part if you aren't living in a good area and/or outside of the city. But the rest of it sounds good. Best of luck.
Quote:
No, that is not what I'm saying. He is implying that he wants to bring girls home from bars/clubs, which is not going to happen if he lives where he can only afford $800 a month.
Let me be more clear because I think I have not expressed myself well at all. I am not a pick up artist or anything like that. I am more of a serial misogynist. I am just looking for a decent place, next to a big city with affordable things to, and a great singles life. Oh and rent must be affordable and taxes must not be out of control like Chicago. I am not planning on going out every night or anything. I plan on still working hard, but I just want to live a little. In Chicago, I feel enslaved like I exist just to work and solely to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
I'm from Tampa (town n country), I moved to Lakeland about 3 years ago. I like it out here, its a big enough City to have pretty much anything you want. I live on the north side (Lake Gibson) close to the interstate so it takes between 30-60 min to get to Tampa, depending on traffic.
I think these 2 complexes might be in your budget https://www.apartments.com/carlton-a...nd-fl/h8mdxx3/
The Retreat at Lakeland Apartments - Lakeland, FL | Apartment Finder

I would scratch Winterhaven off, its not a bad place but if your working in Tampa you don't wanna drive that everyday.

Plant City, nice little country town but might be too small for you.

IMO- I'd look at Lakeland, there's plenty too do here and the rent isn't as much as in Tampa. Its a great location as well. I'd consider it for sure, sign a 6 month lease if you want in case you don't like it. By the time your lease is up you'll know your way around the Tampa Bay area and might find an area you like better.
Ok I will take the closest look at Lakeland, but what is wrong with Plant City? What is so bad about that place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Totally agree ^^. We used to live in Lakeland, and it is a very nice small city with plenty going on in its own right. There are lots of young people there, also. It is reasonably easy to get to Tampa from there, or even Orlando (but that is a bit further and more traffic). I would definitely give Lakeland a look, (forget Winter Haven and Plant City, not for you)
I am definitely looking more at Lakeland.

Quote:
It's 90% not white dwight. Get the wheels stolen right off your car.
I lived in area like that in Jacksonville, Florida in 2016. Within a month I was robbed at gunpoint and came about 1 second from being murdered. I don't know if I am down for those sorts of neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBarbie View Post
That's what I was wondering. Your working 2 jobs just to pay $800 dollars. $800 rent is very cheap.
You are thinking like a Floridan with a 7% sales tax and no local or Chicago tax coming out of your check. Also, you don't have a 10.25% sales tax coming out of each check. The taxes here are insane, you work so hard just to have nothing. It's a nightmare in Chicago.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Lugo View Post
I will take a look but it doesn't sound too promising. I won't scratch it off the list yet, but it's definitely not my top round draft pick.

Let me be more clear because I think I have not expressed myself well at all. I am not a pick up artist or anything like that. I am more of a serial misogynist. I am just looking for a decent place, next to a big city with affordable things to, and a great singles life. Oh and rent must be affordable and taxes must not be out of control like Chicago. I am not planning on going out every night or anything. I plan on still working hard, but I just want to live a little. In Chicago, I feel enslaved like I exist just to work and solely to work.

Ok I will take the closest look at Lakeland, but what is wrong with Plant City? What is so bad about that place?

I am definitely looking more at Lakeland.

I lived in area like that in Jacksonville, Florida in 2016. Within a month I was robbed at gunpoint and came about 1 second from being murdered. I don't know if I am down for those sorts of neighborhoods.

You are thinking like a Floridan with a 7% sales tax and no local or Chicago tax coming out of your check. Also, you don't have a 10.25% sales tax coming out of each check. The taxes here are insane, you work so hard just to have nothing. It's a nightmare in Chicago.
Cheap rent= trashy people. Maybe find a person in Danashores to rent a room from. Super high class hood
and never any crime the 41 years i lived there.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Cheap rent= trashy people. Maybe find a person in Danashores to rent a room from. Super high class hood
and never any crime the 41 years i lived there.
But is Lakeland really that bad? I keep hearing Lakeland isn't really that bad of a place?

Old 07-22-2017, 07:31 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
But is Lakeland really that bad? I keep hearing Lakeland isn't really that bad of a place?
Lakeland is a nice city. But like EVERY city or town, it has its good and bad areas. We lived there for two years and had no complaints or problems. Most of the people who badmouth Lakeland are people who never lived there and/or know little about it. Some even make sweeping statements based on just a drive-thru off the interstate! You need to do your own research on some of these places.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Lakeland is a nice city. But like EVERY city or town, it has its good and bad areas. We lived there for two years and had no complaints or problems. Most of the people who badmouth Lakeland are people who never lived there and/or know little about it. Some even make sweeping statements based on just a drive-thru off the interstate! You need to do your own research on some of these places.
Research is kind of what I am doing now. The next step is to actually go and check out some of these places.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:35 AM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,524,577 times
Quote:
I was talking about Hanley from Waters to Hills.
Here's a drone video of TnC from Hanley to Waters and Hillsborough. I've zoomed in as close as I can and don't see all the "cars on blocks"?? I can't find any "gang bangers and thugs" lol that your talking about either??
Actually TnC looks pretty good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_49WI8T7RNU

Last edited by KPB; 07-23-2017 at 01:06 AM..

Old 07-23-2017, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
Here's a drone video of TnC from Hanley to Waters and Hillsborough. I've zoomed in as close as I can and don't see all the "cars on blocks"?? I can't find any "gang bangers and thugs" lol that your talking about either??
Actually TnC looks pretty good.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_49WI8T7RNU
Again, I won't rule out town n' country just yet. However, I have heard several people tell me to beware of that place, so I will have to check it out first

Old 07-23-2017, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Never lived there. Danashores is right next to the Tampa airport just south of TNC. Parts of Lakeland are the ghetto and many other parts are nice. Just a nitmare drive on i4 to get to Tampa. Cheapest rent is in west Pasco county as you can rent a 2bedroom home from around 550 to 750 a month and it is a 50 min drive to Tampa. Anytime you or Vinny needs a wake up call then hop in my C6 Vette and i will take ya for a drive and wake up call. May even give ya a fast burst to 160mph for thrills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay