Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 08:01 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,853,790 times

Advertisements

While Florida Power and Light restores electricity to hundreds of thousands a day in South Florida, TECO and the rest of the pathetic power companies in Tampa Bay can't even get the local McDonalds or street lights going again, and it's Day Three. Sad! At this rate we will be without power for two weeks or more for what turned out to be a strong tropical storm in Hillsbo and Pinellas.

Did anyone see these Tampa Bay power companies deploying thousands of trucks in advance of the storm cutting branches and shoring up service lines? Yeah, me neither.

If there is ever a REAL hurricane here, making a direct hit, I won't even come back. I'll stay evacuated and
e-mail my Realtor. As the Wash Post so perfectly said: Tampa Bay is due for a major hurricane and is NOT prepared! SAD!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 08:28 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,186,967 times
I have TECO and never lost power during the entire storm.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:43 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Same here. Wonder if having underground utility lines has anything to do with it? Will have to use this as a selling point if I ever sell.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I have TECO and never lost power during the entire storm.

That's great! Perhaps TECO is doing more maintenance in your neck of the woods than mine. Or in any of the other hundreds of thousands of TECO customers who lost power.

In the Westshore area of Tampa, not one TECO truck has been spotted.
Pre or post storm.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:50 AM

472 posts, read 548,053 times
We lost power for a day but it was restored yesterday thankfully. But the neighborhood to the east and west still don't have power. With all the big trees that came down taking lines out with it, I would expect a lot of work and some might take a while. Yesterday on the way back, I also several armada of electric utility trucks heading to Florida and all along US 19. Trucks with Alabama and Louisiana plates and also Florida plates from panhandle.
Help is coming. Got a message from Duke that indicate power should all be back by Friday tho that will be little consolation if you'd have to suffer in the heat. Prepared or not, this is also a jolt for everyone to be more prepared. I myself was complacent in trimming my own trees and need to also buy a power generator.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:53 AM

For it is better to light the candle than to curse the darkness.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiepoke View Post
We lost power for a day but it was restored yesterday thankfully. But the neighborhood to the east and west still don't have power. With all the big trees that came down taking lines out with it, I would expect a lot of work and some might take a while. Yesterday on the way back, I also several armada of electric utility trucks heading to Florida and all along US 19. Trucks with Alabama and Louisiana plates and also Florida plates from panhandle.
Help is coming. Got a message from Duke that indicate power should all be back by Friday tho that will be little consolation if you'd have to suffer in the heat. Prepared or not, this is also a jolt for everyone to be more prepared. I myself was complacent in trimming my own trees and need to also buy a power generator.
I routinely have all of my trees serviced by a Certified Arborist every two years.
Clearly I have been spending thousands of dollars on nothing.
Because none of that trimming prevented my power loss.

There needs to be a serious effort to bury all power lines in this region.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
For it is better to light the candle than to curse the darkness.
I will light a candle for Tampa bay. That it never gets hit by a real, major hurricane.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiepoke View Post

TECO is currently scrambling to find crews to come to Tampa. Why did they not contract with crews BEFORE THE STORM? Like FP&L and other power companies did? Total incompetence that we should not accept.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:01 AM

People who are flexible with travel and could evac (me next time) should probably wait 2 weeks before heading back so all of this can be worked out...gas stations, traffic all clears up days afterwards as well as electricity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay