Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 07:44 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times

Advertisements

Wikipedia has a nice little history of Tampa. For those who are interested, here is the link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...an_exploration

Tampa has a colorful past, and frankly I find it a very interesting city. Even though I don't live there now, I was born and raised there, and my grandparents were Spanish immigrants in the late 1800's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 08:56 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
I will move from the area once I get the feeling that I'm in a major metro city. It is far from that right now.

Old 11-28-2017, 05:13 PM

269 posts, read 247,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I will move from the area once I get the feeling that I'm in a major metro city. It is far from that right now.
Developers and related profiteers would love to build multi-million dollar towers in Tampa that block public access to the waterfront and market these to money launderers from outside the US. Then, Tampa's working class could no longer afford decent real estate here. Thank goodness this kind of development is being prevented in Tampa, unlike on Florida's Southeast Coast.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:17 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,020,726 times
What the hell does backwater mean, anyways?

Old 11-29-2017, 05:21 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post
What the hell does backwater mean, anyways?
https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...term=backwater

I think it's definition #1 and not #3.

LoL.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:21 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,016,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoosAnnaKwaahter View Post
and NOLA is a majority minority run city
And...?

Old 11-30-2017, 08:34 AM

16 posts, read 22,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
And...?
I guess in my mind, having a "majority minority (e.g. Black) run city" has posed significant and in some cases unique urban and governmental problems , all you have to do is look back in recent history of inept cronies voted into office in such cities as Detroit, Birmingham (Jefferson County went bankrupt), Memphis and several other cities- some cities also failed to deal with crime, municipal debt, community policing, lousy school systems and other public services. That's not "racist" to point out and accept the facts.The facts are that urban blacks have voted like a Democratic Party bloc vote and at times installed candidates on county commissions and city councils who were not close to being qualified and/or equipped to successfully address some very challenging issues in their respective communities. Again, simply examine some of the civic histories of the aforementioned cities, as examples only. Specifically, examine the two-term clowns elected as Mayors of New Orleans (Nagin), and of Memphis (Herenton). Both of these cities have also experienced continued and severe "white flight" which has eroded tax bases dramatically. These are more than simply anecdotal examples of elected poor leadership completely due to a black bloc Democratic Party vote that voted en masse for simply stupid, uniformed and clueless candidates (the most glaring example is Mayor Nagin of NOLA, with Mayor Willie Herenton of Memphis, running a close second. Even now, their city council representatives are full of civic buffoons. But do your own research I suppose.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:04 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,090,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladi_D View Post
I guess in my mind, having a "majority minority (e.g. Black) run city" has posed significant and in some cases unique urban and governmental problems , all you have to do is look back in recent history of inept cronies voted into office in such cities as Detroit, Birmingham (Jefferson County went bankrupt), Memphis and several other cities- some cities also failed to deal with crime, municipal debt, community policing, lousy school systems and other public services. That's not "racist" to point out and accept the facts.The facts are that urban blacks have voted like a Democratic Party bloc vote and at times installed candidates on county commissions and city councils who were not close to being qualified and/or equipped to successfully address some very challenging issues in their respective communities. Again, simply examine some of the civic histories of the aforementioned cities, as examples only. Specifically, examine the two-term clowns elected as Mayors of New Orleans (Nagin), and of Memphis (Herenton). Both of these cities have also experienced continued and severe "white flight" which has eroded tax bases dramatically. These are more than simply anecdotal examples of elected poor leadership completely due to a black bloc Democratic Party vote that voted en masse for simply stupid, uniformed and clueless candidates (the most glaring example is Mayor Nagin of NOLA, with Mayor Willie Herenton of Memphis, running a close second. Even now, their city council representatives are full of civic buffoons. But do your own research I suppose.

Atlanta seems to be doing okay. DC as well. Name the successful cities too. Most of Florida cities are run by Democratics. I guess it might be different if its white democrats? Political experience and qualifications kind of don't matter anymore seeing who the USA (mostly whites) elected to be President this term. Yes I said it.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:22 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,587,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
Political experience and qualifications kind of don't matter anymore seeing who the USA (mostly whites) elected to be President this term. Yes I said it.
Its refreshing to see some one who is not a professional politician in office. He didn't spend a lifetime beholden to special interest groups. Its also nice to see someone in office speak his mind and not the usual double speak we hear from most politicians.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:47 PM

149 posts, read 145,364 times
How is Miami considered cultural? It's just an extension of Cuba...you can find that here in Tampa. When I think cultural I think Bay area California or NYC or Toronto...not just one giant minority group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay