Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 10:50 AM

240 posts, read 286,933 times

Advertisements

Just saw a story on Fox 13 news. Four guys decided to do this so they'd have a place for their floating Tiki Bar. Now apparently they own the whole island. And of course they're going to charge for the use of their bathrooms and have set prices for passes already. What a joke. I never heard anything about this till now. But if course it will benefit the community. Haha. Pinellas County will approve anything, as long as they make money!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 11:22 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,242,488 times
I guess depends on what story you read, or just want to have a negative viewpoint, but this story seems to paint a different picture.

Owners of floating bar needed home port, so they bought popular ‘Beer Can Island’ off Apollo Beach

A couple of call-outs:

Quote:
The former owners took a hands-off approach, so trouble sometimes arose when alcohol flowed freely and no one worried about the rules. The new owners promise to keep it free while adding a few touches for safety.
Quote:
There will be no charge for docking or camping, and visitors can still bring their own beer and food.
Quote:
They may bring some security onshore, too.

"I have heard stories of people getting hurt out there and in fights," Loomis said. "We want to make sure everyone is safe."
I dunno, seems like they are decent group. I guess you could have dropped $63K and bought the land if it means that much to you and then done what you want, but from what I read it really sounds like they are doing a pretty good thing. Whatever...

Old 04-10-2018, 02:28 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Yeah, this isn't new news. This has been known for a while.

Old 04-10-2018, 04:59 PM

79 posts, read 76,885 times
It was always private property but the previous owner was absent and therefore not keeping track of everything that was going on there. The new owners don't want to shovel human waste that's dumped there on the weekends from freeloaders that are partying on private property. You should be glad that they are keeping it open to the public. All they want is some help paying for the cleanup that's required to keep it looking nice.

Would you let random strangers into your yard to party? And if you did, wouldn't you want them to clean up after themselves or to at least pay for the expense of cleanup?

Old 04-10-2018, 05:03 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaNativeGrl View Post
It was always private property but the previous owner was absent and therefore not keeping track of everything that was going on there. The new owners don't want to shovel human waste that's dumped there on the weekends from freeloaders that are partying on private property. You should be glad that they are keeping it open to the public. All they want is some help paying for the cleanup that's required to keep it looking nice.

Would you let random strangers into your yard to party? And if you did, wouldn't you want them to clean up after themselves or to at least pay for the expense of cleanup?
"The new owners promise to keep it free while adding a few touches for safety."

It's 2018 and reading is hard.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:22 AM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,524,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterK View Post
Just saw a story on Fox 13 news. Four guys decided to do this so they'd have a place for their floating Tiki Bar. Now apparently they own the whole island. And of course they're going to charge for the use of their bathrooms and have set prices for passes already. What a joke. I never heard anything about this till now. But if course it will benefit the community. Haha. Pinellas County will approve anything, as long as they make money!
Pinellas County?

Old 04-11-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
I guess depends on what story you read, or just want to have a negative viewpoint, but this story seems to paint a different picture.

Owners of floating bar needed home port, so they bought popular ‘Beer Can Island’ off Apollo Beach

A couple of call-outs:

I dunno, seems like they are decent group. I guess you could have dropped $63K and bought the land if it means that much to you and then done what you want, but from what I read it really sounds like they are doing a pretty good thing. Whatever...
You're really gullible if you believe these "promises". Time will tell.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:47 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,824,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaNativeGrl View Post

Agreed. A large part of the general public are a-holes in general, and when it comes to public restrooms things often can be downright disgusting. I'd charge something too. Things don't clean themselves, trash doesn't empty itself, etc.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:07 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,242,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterK View Post
You're really gullible if you believe these "promises". Time will tell.
Makes no difference what they do. They spent the money to buy the land, if you feel so strongly that it should be a freebie stop for people to party and trash without any cost or obligation then you should have laid out the $63K. You didn't so it is what it is.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Makes no difference what they do. They spent the money to buy the land, if you feel so strongly that it should be a freebie stop for people to party and trash without any cost or obligation then you should have laid out the $63K. You didn't so it is what it is.
No one cares down here about the environmental impact of all this development. I may not have known all the facts about this island, but whatever.

My point is that the remaining islands (and land) should not be for sale. We are not homesteading here, we don't have enough land. These guys didn't seem to know they were even buying an island!

We need some green space down here! The developers would build on a cemetery, that's how much they care about your precious Tampa Bay! When they run out of available land, that will be next. Or they will dredge and add land to the coastline.

Enjoy your lovely hovel in the sunshine. I'm hoping to leave soon, and it can't come quick enough!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay