Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2018, 05:50 PM

29 posts, read 51,369 times

Advertisements

I got a verbal job offer today via telephone. I completed the form authorizing them to do a background check. We are currently in Indiana, but my job here has ended due to budget issues. This job wants me to start on June 4 so I can train for 3 weeks with the current nurse practitioner for 3 weeks before she leaves (her last day is June 19) to move back to their home state in the northeast since her and her hubby are expecting their first baby.

Obviously it will be a quick whirlwind....and we are pretty overwhelmed!

My hubby and I are coming to Tampa next Wednesday May 23 and staying through Saturday, then flying home Saturday May 26. I will be meeting with the doctor Friday May 25 and seeing the offices, so I can "get a feel" for things before I commit 100%. Obviously if it goes well and I have a good feeling about things, then I will come back a week later and start training. My hubby and kids, unfortunately, will have to stay here in Indiana to list our house for sale and take care of things.

1.) Trying to figure out where to live? We are a Christian family of 4. We have 2 kids (age 10 and an infant). We homeschool so schools arent an issue. We are worried about crime and would like to live in a safe, family friendly area where kids can ride their bike, play outside, etc. We have looked at different areas of Tampa, but trying to weed thru peoples comments, crime maps, etc is making our heads spin. The job would be split between South Tampa (Hyde Park area) and Westchase. We can afford about $2000 a month for rent. WOuld like to rent a single family home, at least 3 bedrooms (4 would be amazing). We currently live in a typical subdivision, what many would call "cookie cutter" with close nearby shopping and entertainment, so that would be perfect. We just want a very safe area.

2.) We can't really afford to start renting a single family home until our house here has sold. Paying mortgage here plus rent in Florida is more than our monthly budget can currently handle. SO I need to find somewhere VERY SAFE to stay (since I will be staying by myself) in a small apartment or renting a room? The training from June 4 through June 19 will be 2 days a week at Hyde Park office and 1 day each week at Westchase office. (After June 19 I will work 4 days a week, 2 in each location)

3.) When we are ready to find a house to rent, is it best to go thru a realtor? How do we find someone to show us options of houses we can afford in different locations on THurs May 24 when my hubby and I are there without the kids?

4.) We have been to central Florida many times (Orlando and Lakeland) but never to Tampa. What else should my hubby and I check out while we are there a few days on our own without kids? We have never really moved out of this area before, let alone out of state.....so I'd love tips from people who have moved to a new state on things we need to check out at our visit end of next week to be prepared for the move.

THanks, guys!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2018, 05:56 PM

5,982 posts, read 7,404,686 times
No reason to use a realtor for a rental. Most realtors don't do rentals anyway, unless it's properties they have a direct interest in. Local apartment tabloid/web sites, maybe, and I say maybe, Craigslist, but be careful there.

While it may cost marginally more, why not look for one of the "weekly stay" places? You're not going to be paying much less for a short term rental, if you can find one - this is the peak season with school ending soon, so finding something is going to be that much more difficult, not to mention short term rentals are not that plentiful around here to the best of my knowledge.

RM

Old 05-15-2018, 04:53 AM

983 posts, read 611,955 times
My goodness, it will be quite the whirlwind in the next few months for you all! I don't have any information on locations but maybe you could try an airbnb place that may discount if you stay a whole month? We've a place in Dunedin that we just purchased and will be selling our home in IL next spring to go and live full time in FL. We have so much to get rid of so I can imagine a family of 4 does as well. Congrats, on the new job!

Old 05-15-2018, 05:11 AM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,529,760 times
I think its actually a good idea that your renting first. You'll be more familiar with the area when you do decide to buy.
There's a lot of "weekly stay" hotels in the area as Morton mentioned.

Here is a listing for a 1 br apartment in South Tampa. https://www.apartments.com/the-oaks-...pa-fl/9wv1fs7/

Old 05-15-2018, 06:44 AM

4,489 posts, read 3,871,414 times
If you are going to be working in South Tampa and Westchase I recommend living in South Tampa. If you live in Westchase you will always be getting stuck in traffic. If you live in South Tampa and commute to Westchase you will be going against the flow of traffic (reverse commute). You will be taking the Veterans Expwy all the time (which has tolls btw). If safety is the number 1 issue, however, Westchase has less crime than South Tampa.

Here is an extended stay rental complex in South Tampa

https://www.casabellaonwestshore.com/

Old 05-16-2018, 07:59 AM

7 posts, read 5,533 times
Congrats! My family moved to Tampa Bay in 2003 and have loved it here! (As a military family, we've lived all over the country) I agree that an AirBNB is a good option for you during your training. When you are ready to look for a place for your family to rent, you may want to check out "www.hotpads.com" Many private homeowners advertise their homes on this site. Be sure to check out the school zones when you're looking. Hillsborough County has a good school choice program but it takes a bit to learn how to navigate it.

Enjoy your visit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay