Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 03:42 AM

4,905 posts, read 2,058,623 times

Advertisements

Thinking of making a move to the Tampa Bay/St. Petersburg area within the next two years from the Seattle WA area. With that said, I'm a retiree with approx $7k net income every month, with another $1.5k in a couple of years down the road to add to my monthly income. Plus, a modest, but decent amount of dollars saved up in my TSP/401K plans.

I'm basically looking to buy a new construction home in the $400k/$500k range and "I" prefer a location with a HOA, that does their job, but not crossing over into being Nazi Germany... I basically don't want to live in the "hood" anymore cuz I've been there and done that and simply tired of dealing with individuals with problems and issues... I spent the last 25 years of my life doing that AND I'm totally done with it. I also don't wear my political views on my sleeves since I'm basically a Center type guy that leans slightly to the Right that owns guns and likes to go to the pistol/rifle range a few times a year to keep sharp, which is due to my chosen professions in the past. Plus, I'm pretty much a stay to myself type of person anyway.

The only thing I really want in a new home is a dedicated 15' x 30' (+/-) room for a home theater set up since we really enjoy watching movies and listening to music on a good A/V system. This can either be on the main floor or on the second floor... OR!! If there is space in the attic for this to be done effectively.... Also!! A good central air system for the entire house is a serious most have too!!

My friend, who also has an 11 y/o daughter who will also be moving with us, so a decent public school system is also important as well. If the public schools are iffy in the general area, are there any good Catholic schools?

Also, being a retired military reservist (enlisted man) are there any close by military bases in the Tampa area?

As for employment, I'll be in my late 50s and looking to work part-time, just to give me something to do and something to beech about for the next 1-2 years before moving into full retirement. As for my friend, who will be semi-retired with a small monthly pension check, but also will be looking for another career either in some support medical field or as a social worker/counselor... We know that salaries in this part of the country are pretty low, but that fine with us since the earned extra income will mainly be for traveling and stuff like that.

I know that I've asked a lot, but I'd be grateful for any advise from the locals since we'll be flying down there in mid July to start the actual planning process for this next adventure in our lives.

Also!! We will not be bringing any of our "Seattle views" with us at all!! "I" never understood why somebody would leave an area or part of the country and think or expect their "new" home to be like the place they just left!!

Again, thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 04:05 AM

30,436 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Enjoy the summer heat pete. It is gonna make ya roll over and want to die.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:18 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,853,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
Thinking of making a move to the Tampa Bay/St. Petersburg area within the next two years from the Seattle WA area. With that said, I'm a retiree with approx $7k net income every month, with another $1.5k in a couple of years down the road to add to my monthly income. Plus, a modest, but decent amount of dollars saved up in my TSP/401K plans.

I'm basically looking to buy a new construction home in the $400k/$500k range and "I" prefer a location with a HOA, that does their job, but not crossing over into being Nazi Germany... I basically don't want to live in the "hood" anymore cuz I've been there and done that and simply tired of dealing with individuals with problems and issues... I spent the last 25 years of my life doing that AND I'm totally done with it. I also don't wear my political views on my sleeves since I'm basically a Center type guy that leans slightly to the Right that owns guns and likes to go to the pistol/rifle range a few times a year to keep sharp, which is due to my chosen professions in the past. Plus, I'm pretty much a stay to myself type of person anyway.

The only thing I really want in a new home is a dedicated 15' x 30' (+/-) room for a home theater set up since we really enjoy watching movies and listening to music on a good A/V system. This can either be on the main floor or on the second floor... OR!! If there is space in the attic for this to be done effectively.... Also!! A good central air system for the entire house is a serious most have too!!

My friend, who also has an 11 y/o daughter who will also be moving with us, so a decent public school system is also important as well. If the public schools are iffy in the general area, are there any good Catholic schools?

Also, being a retired military reservist (enlisted man) are there any close by military bases in the Tampa area?

As for employment, I'll be in my late 50s and looking to work part-time, just to give me something to do and something to beech about for the next 1-2 years before moving into full retirement. As for my friend, who will be semi-retired with a small monthly pension check, but also will be looking for another career either in some support medical field or as a social worker/counselor... We know that salaries in this part of the country are pretty low, but that fine with us since the earned extra income will mainly be for traveling and stuff like that.

I know that I've asked a lot, but I'd be grateful for any advise from the locals since we'll be flying down there in mid July to start the actual planning process for this next adventure in our lives.

Also!! We will not be bringing any of our "Seattle views" with us at all!! "I" never understood why somebody would leave an area or part of the country and think or expect their "new" home to be like the place they just left!!

Again, thanks!!!

Sounds like you will fit right in in the Tampa Bay area! I'm excited for you!
Do you want to be in Tampa, St. Pete or Clearwater? You should probably look at subdivisions in Westchase in North Tampa. Trinity and Wesley Chapel also.
In Tampa, Academy of the Holy Names, Tampa Catholic, have good reps.

Macdill Air Force Base is in South Tampa.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:22 PM

4,905 posts, read 2,058,623 times
Thanks for the replies and the locations!!

Yeah, I spent a few summers, July/August, in SE Georgia and in the Jacksonville area, so I know that it gets pretty creaking hot down there, but I survived it!!

Again, thanks!!

Old 03-26-2019, 05:15 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,080,207 times
I think you will find something when you are ready. Prices in two years may be higher or lower - no one can predict that one.
Lots of good catholic schools both sides of Tampa Bay and some very decent public schools in different areas. If you dont have high salary expectations there are plenty of jobs (right now) in medical/social care/education. There are plenty of gun ranges around and about I believe. The area is a mixed bag of all types of folks from all places and backgrounds, so it's not hard to fit in. Having been in the military you are used to changes I am sure, and starting over in new places, and people here are friendly I know others on here will agree. Good luck with your future plans.

Old 03-27-2019, 04:50 AM

124 posts, read 124,521 times
Sinatra’s and Lavender’s posts say what you need to know but personally I would exclude Clearwater. That said, you need to choose which side of the bay, St. Pete or Tampa. I usually always lean towards telling people Tampa. Simply, I feel there are more options. Northern Hillsborough will have the homes you are looking for with good schools.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:27 PM

1 posts, read 891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reasonablevoice View Post
Sinatra’s and Lavender’s posts say what you need to know but personally I would exclude Clearwater. That said, you need to choose which side of the bay, St. Pete or Tampa. I usually always lean towards telling people Tampa. Simply, I feel there are more options. Northern Hillsborough will have the homes you are looking for with good schools.
Why not Clearwater?

Old 05-07-2019, 08:37 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Sounds like you will fit right in in the Tampa Bay area! I'm excited for you!
Do you want to be in Tampa, St. Pete or Clearwater? You should probably look at subdivisions in Westchase in North Tampa. Trinity and Wesley Chapel also.
In Tampa, Academy of the Holy Names, Tampa Catholic, have good reps.

Macdill Air Force Base is in South Tampa.
Good info here ^^. OP, I would stick to Tampa, it's the best fit by far for what you want. I recommend Westchase especially.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:57 AM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
You will be delighted by the much lower cost of living here.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:33 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
You will be delighted by the much lower cost of living here.
And the lack of homeless people who are currently taking over your city.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay