Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 06:11 PM

3 posts, read 2,414 times

Advertisements

I live in NJ Planning to Move to Tampa. My son starts Highschool this year Can somebody suggest good school district area. I saw Hillsborough and Lutz area .Is there another good school district and also safe apartment near that area. How about the rent will be for 2 bedroom apt.

Thanks for reading my post waiting for your valuable suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 08:58 AM

2,345 posts, read 2,294,144 times
The best school districts are either South Tampa or northern Hillsborough County (New Tampa, Lutz, Odessa, Keystone, etc.) South Tampa is generally considered the best but it’s also much more expensive. I’d look at apartments zoned for Sickles or Steinbrenner High School.

As for an apartment, you might look at Carlton Arms on Van Dyke Rd. I’m not sure what they’re asking for rent, but Lutz in general will be at a discount compared to downtown or South Tampa.

Old 05-12-2021, 09:30 AM

346 posts, read 309,133 times
Not a lot of "safe" school districts in FL.

FL is a nice place depending on where one goes BUT I would not come to FL for the schools. Thats what being up north is for. But then again NJ is so bad, even people hate it who come from there, its the worst of the worst Phillies and yankee fans too.

Old 05-12-2021, 02:01 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
The best school districts are either South Tampa or northern Hillsborough County (New Tampa, Lutz, Odessa, Keystone, etc.) South Tampa is generally considered the best but it’s also much more expensive. I’d look at apartments zoned for Sickles or Steinbrenner High School.

As for an apartment, you might look at Carlton Arms on Van Dyke Rd. I’m not sure what they’re asking for rent, but Lutz in general will be at a discount compared to downtown or South Tampa.
Not exactly true.

Fishhawk (eastern HC) also has "A" rated schools. Newsome HS, Randall and Barrington MS, Bevis, Fishhawk Creek and Stowers ES are all "A" rated schools that serve Fishhawk and surrounds.

Note that all of these schools are in expensive areas, so you'll pay a premium to live within their attendance zones. While I'm not up on apartment rents these days, I would expect you'll be paying well above $1,000/month for a two bedroom in a safe area.

Academic rigor in Florida pales in comparison to schools where you live. Prepare yourself. There are numerous charter schools, too, but I'm not convinced they're much better.

Housing costs are off the charts here, so you better do your due diligence before simply packing up the car and heading this way.

RM

Old 05-12-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Not exactly true.

Fishhawk (eastern HC) also has "A" rated schools. Newsome HS, Randall and Barrington MS, Bevis, Fishhawk Creek and Stowers ES are all "A" rated schools that serve Fishhawk and surrounds.

Note that all of these schools are in expensive areas, so you'll pay a premium to live within their attendance zones. While I'm not up on apartment rents these days, I would expect you'll be paying well above $1,000/month for a two bedroom in a safe area.

Academic rigor in Florida pales in comparison to schools where you live. Prepare yourself. There are numerous charter schools, too, but I'm not convinced they're much better.

Housing costs are off the charts here, so you better do your due diligence before simply packing up the car and heading this way.

RM
Yep, that’s exactly right. I omitted Fishhawk since it’s an outlier in eastern Hillsborough whereas northern Hillsborough generally has good schools. You’re definitely right that Fishhawk does have good schools too.

Old 05-12-2021, 04:35 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Yep, that’s exactly right. I omitted Fishhawk since it’s an outlier in eastern Hillsborough whereas northern Hillsborough generally has good schools. You’re definitely right that Fishhawk does have good schools too.
I know. I was an administrator for the school district for 11 years. And not all of the schools in the northern portion of Hillsborough are "good" schools. And there are plenty of other "good schools" in eastern Hillsborough County as well.

RM

Old 05-12-2021, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I know. I was an administrator for the school district for 11 years. And not all of the schools in the northern portion of Hillsborough are "good" schools. And there are plenty of other "good schools" in eastern Hillsborough County as well.

RM
Interesting! In your opinion, what's the best high school? Most people would say Plant, but I'm curious to know your perspective.

Old 05-12-2021, 06:21 PM

491 posts, read 472,472 times
Quote:

Academic rigor in Florida pales in comparison to schools where you live.
This is just unequivocally false.

Old 05-13-2021, 06:24 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip Mcnealy View Post
This is just unequivocally false.
I would typically agree with you. My daughter graduated from Plant 3 years ago and she has been excelling at tough university with a full ride and money left over. Certainly prepared her, she did go to Robinson IB for the first 2 years.
After this last year though with my son, remote learning was a disaster. There are things that sure, the pandemic, the fact that kids will show up to class and not have a teacher or a sub, just get an eventual email that tells them to go do this thing on your own. All of that I can understand somewhat, i would just think you are not very competent albeit in a challenging environment. What seems to have happened is that teachers were very lax, they did not cover all the material, they did not test the kids properly gave them too many opportunities to cheat or find the answers on the internet. If you dont give my kid a bad grade how am I supposed to correct or compensate, they did away with end of period exams if it wasnt for AP exams I would have never figured out how behind my kid is.

Old 05-13-2021, 07:08 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,090,972 times
Maybe look into Private Schools. I am sure if you selling your property in New Jersey you will have some change to spend in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay