Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2014, 09:20 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times

Advertisements

Just to make sure the public is aware when you look for a handyman. Check the sheriffs website and/or ask the handyman for his full name and ID so you can check who you get in your house.

I was just checking since we can always use more handyman to be ready to conduct a job for us but was shocked to see a name that we know from a previous check and he was in State prison for murder attempt and other violent crime and works now as a handyman.

We never hired him since after a valid ID he failed to provide us with a license and ins. paper we needed and when we checked the internet we saw his picture with all the crimes he has done and was convicted off.

A sex offender in our neighborhood leaves on a regular base with a truck with stuff that looks like he works as a handyman as well so be aware who you let into your home. If you don't care then it is fine and some people will believe they need a 2nd or 7th or 10th chance, which is fine but we don't want them in any of our rentals and neither do I want them in my home since there are plenty of honest hard working people who deserve a job before the others do, but that is just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 12:57 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times
I don't really trust these websites because:
1. Those reviewed can and are deleting all the bad reviews! I had this happen when I posted a bad review about a local dentist. They went in and deleted my review. (Why bother to review, if they can go in and delete my review?)
2. A lot of their own people make up fictitious user names to post good reviews and make themselves look good!

So, I don't trust them because they're not objective way before criminal records are even a question.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:08 PM

Very true and it even came out that some companies hire people (often students) who never used the product and get paid for a good and longer detailed review.

I read reviews but dismiss certain reviews and I have written some positive and less positive and negative reviews but so far have not seen them taken off.

Most people judge people if they are friendly or not and that is dangerous.

Some online retailers have good reviews online, positive but also less positive and in the case of fashion sometimes they refer to the items being bigger then expected or fit as normally would expected for the size and these things are often very helpful.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:46 PM

235 posts, read 1,578,550 times
Just an FYI on Handyman
http://www.longwoodfl.org/filestorag...man_notice.pdf

If you use one be extremely careful, I have seen nightmares and am working on a small job now that could have burnt to the ground, handyhack did plumbing and electric, recess can caught on fire, it was quickly put out but still did damage. Everything was illegally done and now the homeowner is paying again to have it done and fixed right. I believe he was also denied on his insurance claim seeing that he hired an unlicensed and uninsured individual..

Old 04-15-2014, 03:59 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
Better yet, invest the $35 or so it costs to join Angie's List. You'll save it in hassle free contractors and businesses that care about their customers and reputations.

RM

Old 04-15-2014, 04:54 PM

30,434 posts, read 21,271,177 times
I would think most are rip offs or killers.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:00 PM

Aside from the bad work some will deliver the cops are also on the look out for anyone hiring unlicensed handyman for plumbing repairs, etc.

The other day one of the handyman we work with was working on a different job not related to our office although we happen to know the owner of that property and the handyman almost cut his entire finger of during the job. Luckily the finger was saved and the handyman had insurance and a license otherwise the owner could have been held liable since that it is usually the first one to be sued since they have a home the own and many home owners like to gamble with their properties and think nothing will happen.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Very true and it even came out that some companies hire people (often students) who never used the product and get paid for a good and longer detailed review.

I read reviews but dismiss certain reviews and I have written some positive and less positive and negative reviews but so far have not seen them taken off.

Most people judge people if they are friendly or not and that is dangerous.

Some online retailers have good reviews online, positive but also less positive and in the case of fashion sometimes they refer to the items being bigger then expected or fit as normally would expected for the size and these things are often very helpful.
The best example is at B & H photo; people who have no clue what shutter speed is post reviews about lens performance!!! and if you look at the photos submitted, you'd never want to buy that lens anymore! There are no guidelines, and no guarantees that the reviews are real, and that opens the door wide open for scammers to waltz right in!

Old 04-15-2014, 05:07 PM

Honestly, I think the best way to find someone reliable is to talk to an interior design studio! They use all sorts of handy man, and the established one use reliable people in general, and not crooks.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:18 PM

^^^true and other happy customers who have verified who their handyman is and have a license and insurance paper on file.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay