Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 07:30 AM

40 posts, read 105,723 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are considering a move from NY to Tampa/Pasco County. A big deciding factor, however, is the weather. We're concerned with hurricanes and tornadoes - how hard do these areas get hit? Would we be better off in the Orlando area or further north in Fl? Thank you!!! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 08:04 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,758,041 times
I think youll be safe. Tornados rarely hit, but when they do, there small and weak. The Tampa area seems to be in a hurricane bubble. The last Major hurricane that threatened was Charley, and that ended up doing more damage in Orlando.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:26 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,662,155 times
I agree with the TB Fla. We have wicked summer storms, but there has not been a major hurricane in years. The strongest tornado in Floridas record were catagory 3. We have mostly catagory 1. There was some bad storms recently where a tornado blew threw. It knocked down trees and tore apart some pool cages. Florida has more tornado's than tornado alley. However, they are including waterspouts. We just don't get the massive tornados that happens in the midwest.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:36 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,707,092 times
There hasn't been a big hurricane to hit here in many years. We had a cat. 1 about 4-5 yrs. ago-a couple of them, but they cut through another part of Fl. first so it was weakened. We rarely have issues here.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:10 AM

353 posts, read 803,630 times
I do not know whether this is the norm (a normal year), but I have been monitoring Tampa Bay weather since mid-October. It seems as though the weather has been fantastic, never warmer than low 80s and never colder than upper 30s (at night), and very low humidity; gorgeous sunshine too, very little rain (there is a drought, though).

I know that the weather will eventually get hot and humid and stormy, but it seems to me that is a small price to pay for 6-7 months of glorious weather. After all, it gets hot and humid and stormy in most other parts of the US from early May to late September too.

If I am wrong about the climate, I hope someone will correct me.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:23 AM

17,565 posts, read 39,222,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltzman143 View Post
I do not know whether this is the norm (a normal year), but I have been monitoring Tampa Bay weather since mid-October. It seems as though the weather has been fantastic, never warmer than low 80s and never colder than upper 30s (at night), and very low humidity; gorgeous sunshine too, very little rain (there is a drought, though).

I know that the weather will eventually get hot and humid and stormy, but it seems to me that is a small price to pay for 6-7 months of glorious weather. After all, it gets hot and humid and stormy in most other parts of the US from early May to late September too.

If I am wrong about the climate, I hope someone will correct me.
Yes, the weather has been GORGEOUS since October! Honestly, so many people really over exaggerate Florida's "bad weather." For the past 3 years at least it has been especially nice for the majority of the year - almost like southern California. There are only about 3-4 months of really hot humid weather, and even then, for me only two (August and September) when I find it really uncomfortable.

Unfortunately, however, the drought is part of the reason the weather has been so nice. Hopefully we will get a lot of rain this summer to help that out, at the same time the rain makes things cooler.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:27 AM

54 posts, read 112,586 times
i just stay indoors, at the ocean , or mall for the 2 hot months, otherwise like you said, its absolutly fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-22-2009, 11:25 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,519,677 times
I don't think anyone can guarantee that Tampa won't get hit by a hurricane. I don't really think there's any special geographic reason why it hasn't been hit.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:50 PM

149 posts, read 468,004 times
It was apparently hit by a monster back in the day that split the land created Caldesi Island. I don't remember when or what the name of it was, but that was my little history lesson from the dude operating the ferry to Caledesi.

I'm not a local, but I have to imagine some fierce T-Storms coming through here. About 2 weeks ago it was basically thundering and lighting all day. A few tornadoes touched down and it isn't even summer yet. I'm a bit of a weather geek and the local news has some really cool 3-d modeling of the storms. They were 50,000 feet high! Just imagine when the humidity and moisture really cranks up and a cold front moves through to clash with it

Old 04-23-2009, 03:58 PM

267 posts, read 1,124,799 times
I believe the last direct hit was in 1921

FAQ : HURRICANES, TYPHOONS, AND TROPICAL CYCLONES
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay