Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 01:20 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times

Advertisements

I read in disbelief on TBO that in New Port Richey they will be a doing DUI checkpoint and they actually gave the time, date, and exact location of the checkpoint.

Why bother having a checkpoint?

It is bad enough there are so many unlicensed and unisured drivers in FL, but to now tell drunk drivers what areas to avoid I just don't get that.

This is about the third time I have seen this done.

Maybe they can start telling bank robbers what areas they will not be patrolling to give them a better chance as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 01:42 PM

335 posts, read 938,951 times
I saw this same thing on Kennedy I think it was a few months ago. I don't understand it at all. Maybe someone has an idea why they tell all the details?

Old 06-25-2009, 02:40 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,201,201 times
I understand that for people that do DUI it should not be told. But for other people that may be a traffic delay. Just like if there are other activities you would like to know that if you have to pass by there or not to avoid delay. I have no idea where this place is and if it has heavy trafic. Just my $0.02.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:08 PM

335 posts, read 938,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I read in disbelief on TBO that in New Port Richey they will be a doing DUI checkpoint and they actually gave the time, date, and exact location of the checkpoint.

It is bad enough there are so many unlicensed and unisured drivers in FL, but to now tell drunk drivers what areas to avoid I just don't get that.

Maybe they can start telling bank robbers what areas they will not be patrolling to give them a better chance as well.
I have to say every time I drive up 41 through Gibtown/Tampa I pray one of those dilapidated trucks filled with crap doesn't hit me or something flies out and hits me. I avoid them as much as I can. It's terrible.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:36 PM

All this does is let the drunks know what areas to avoid. Considering the amount of hit and runs, and drunk and reckless drivers it is ashame to release so much information.

FL really needs to start cracking down on DUI. There was a story the other day where this guy had his 5th DUI, and his DL has been suspended 15 times.

When do you lose your DL here for good?

They need to start impounding cars like other states and giving them restricted licenses after their first DUI.

It is a joke here. And why are there so many here who drive drunk with children in the car?

Every week there is a story on TBO and it usually the mother driving drunk/high with children in the car.

Happened again today.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:56 PM

267 posts, read 1,123,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

And yet they will still catch a bunch of them. What does that tell you? : smack:

Old 06-26-2009, 07:50 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,147 times
I think the police do that to cover themselves from the unreasonable search and seizure aspect of the 4th Amendment. To notify the public is in a way, like obtaining a search warrant and if you don't hear of the warning that's your problem, the public was still notified.

They seem to catch more people for warrants, drugs, driving while liscense suspended, no insurance,etc. than they do for actual DUI nowadays.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:24 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,629,470 times
Quote:
FL really needs to start cracking down on DUI. There was a story the other day where this guy had his 5th DUI, and his DL has been suspended 15 times.

When do you lose your DL here for good?
The revocation periods are quoted below, from the FL DMV website here : Florida DHSMV - DUI and Adminisrative Suspension Information (haha gotta love the spelling error on an official site )

Quote:
Driver License Revocation Periods for DUI-s. 322.271, F.S. and s. 322.28,F.S.
A. First Conviction: Minimum 180 days revocation, maximum 1 year.

B. Second Conviction Within 5 Years: Minimum 5 years revocation. May be eligible for hardship reinstatement after 1 year. Other 2nd offenders same as "A" above.

C. Third Conviction Within 10 Years: Minimum 10 years revocation. May be eligible for hardship reinstatement after 2 years. Other 3rd offenders same as "A" above; one conviction more than 10 years prior and one within 5 years, same as "B" above.

D. Fourth Conviction, Regardless of When Prior Convictions Occurred) and Murder with Motor Vehicle: Mandatory permanent revocation. No hardship reinstatement.

E. DUI Manslaughter: Mandatory permanent revocation. If no prior DUI related convictions, may be eligible for hardship reinstatement after 5 years.

F. Manslaughter, DUI Serious Bodily Injury, or Vehicular Homicide Convictions: Minimum 3-year revocation. DUI Serious Bodily Injury having prior DUI conviction is same as "B-D" above.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:59 PM

Well they just arrested a guy who had 5 DUIs and his license has been suspended 15 times. When is enough, enough?

I agree Xlabel they do end up catching people for other violations such as suspended DLs and no insurance.

And you should hear some of them whine. Driving is a privelage, not a right.

The problem here there is no incentive for them to get car insurance. In most states if you get caught driving with no insurance your car is impounded.

It forces the driver to either get insurance or forfeit the car. Here they get a ticket and keep driving without it.

FL leads the nation in uninsured drivers.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:38 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,730,943 times
Isn't it so that all people know that you aren't suppose to drink and drive and most people won't do it..the people who drink and rive don't listen to any one and probable won't listen to the warning either...they just need to be locked up and the throw away the key so no one else can be a victim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay