Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 02:41 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,711,167 times

Advertisements

Anyone commute from Lutz to downtown Tampa?

I'm interested in knowing the approximate one way drive time from the Livingston Ave/Collier Pkwy area - taking Livingston south, then west on Sunset Lane or Bearss, then south on Nebraska all the way down into the city. I prefer to avoid 275 at all costs.

My current commute from the Town n Country area to downtown is 45 minutes. I'm hoping the Lutz commute will be similar timewise.

Thank you for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 06:05 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,296,782 times
You would be driving for a long time,.........parts of Nebraska are really bad....

Old 07-20-2009, 06:35 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
That is a very bad drive - Nebraska has a lot of traffic lights and there is a LOT of traffic, especially during rush hour. I don't recommend it at all. Not to mention it is one of Tampa's main "ghetto roads."

Old 07-20-2009, 07:10 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,186,004 times
You might want to try it just to get a feel for the roads. .. I totally understand your aversion to I275. Personally I would rather drive a little longer on a less stressful road but that is just me. What about Dale Mabry? It would be less direct but there are less lights I think

Old 07-20-2009, 07:37 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
I agree with Keeper, that you should try it to see how it works for you. Another suggestion is to cut over to Armenia Ave which moves a lot faster, and if you want you can then pick up I-4 to go to downtown, or keep going further south. There are other roads like N. Blvd. you can experiment with, but they will all involve making a few turns here and there which adds miles and time.

Bottom line is that no matter what you do, the commute from the north to downtown is the worst possible. My hubby did it for years and it was awful.

Good luck to you, hope you find a good route that works for you.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:37 AM

I was also going to suggest Dale Mabry, but at rush hours and with the schools on Bearss it is a parking lot.....and if it rains...........forget it, it took us 1 hour from Waters to Kennedy one morning! and there are a lot of stop lights there too......

Old 07-20-2009, 08:21 AM
jdk

18 posts, read 87,516 times
As much as it sucks, i275 is the quickest, most direct route from Lutz to downtown Tampa. Having done that commute for a considerable amount of time (From Van Dyke/Dale Mabry area to downtown) I've timed nearly every possible combination:
Van Dyke -> Veterans -> Kennedy
Van Dyke -> Dale Mabry -> 275N or Kennedy
Van Dyke -> Florida all the way down

I've found that while some routes offer less congestion they still take longer. It may seem like you're not getting anywhere due to the gridlock on 275 but it still ends up being quicker. Also as far as accidents I've had one in 7 years of doing that commute and it wasn't even on 275 so you should be pretty safe.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:28 AM

But also consider getting FROM Livingston to Van Dyke....We do Van Dyke to Veterans to Kennedy 99% of the time but we live off of Van Dyke.....so Veterans is right there...but Collier Parkway and /or 54 can be very busy in the morning/afternoon....the OP was wondering what it is from Livingston which is quite a ways from Van Dyke.....He can go all the way west to Van Dyke through Collier Parkway the take Veterans (Toll Rd) and will pass close to Town and Country Again.....to get to Down Town.........If I was forced to take 275, the I would try (hard) to be either very early or late....to avoid the worst traffic......that is a very congested area no doubt.....

Old 07-20-2009, 10:01 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,667 times
Everyone makes it seem that if you drive down Nebraska, you're going to get carjacked or something. Yes, it is a road that cuts through some of the high-crime areas. I drive up and down Nebraska all the time because I avoid 275. Most of the time, I'm on Nebraska after dark. I have NEVER had any trouble. I've been to a number of gas stations and the Checkers at Floribraska and nobody's ever said anything. I'm an average-looking skinny white guy. So enough with this "Nebraska=warzone" garbage.

With that out of the way, I would prefer taking Florida all the way down since it is quicker. It has four to six lanes of traffic whereas Nebraska goes from four lanes to two once you hit Hillsborough.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:08 AM
jdk

18 posts, read 87,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Everyone makes it seem that if you drive down Nebraska, you're going to get carjacked or something. Yes, it is a road that cuts through some of the high-crime areas. I drive up and down Nebraska all the time because I avoid 275. Most of the time, I'm on Nebraska after dark. I have NEVER had any trouble. I've been to a number of gas stations and the Checkers at Floribraska and nobody's ever said anything. I'm an average-looking skinny white guy. So enough with this "Nebraska=warzone" garbage.
I don't think anyone said it was a warzone, just that they preferred to avoid that area. The fact that you haven't had any problems _yet_ doesn't prove much. I can see how a person that likes to avoid 'situations' would want to avoid that area. Imagine if your car broke down or you ran out of gas or got a flat tire in that area at night.. Maybe you'd be fine, but I would imagine most women would want to steer clear of a situation like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay