Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 05:06 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler View Post
First, these aren't taxes, but user fees. Second they should have been gradually increasing these in incremements over the years anyway.

But regardless it does suck.
Had they been gradually increasing them over the last 10 years we would have paid alot more over the 10 years. So we got a break for a few years.

They are now similiar or still less than many other states. Of course I am not happy with any increases but can't really complain compared to many other areas.

I know NY is $50 to renew a license
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 05:10 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Also please get the cars of the road with rear or front bumpers hanging loose....no hood at all on the car, etc....it is ridiculous.

I can imagine how mad some one get's when he get's pulled over for not stopping a 100% but 90 % for a stop sign...while people driving around with no insurance and no or expired drivers license....

Old 08-31-2009, 06:11 PM

161 posts, read 450,501 times
higher taxes (even though, of course, those are fees, not taxes) creates stronger social intuitions, something seriously lacking in Florida. I'm for higher taxes, and I'd pay them gladly.

(Before you chime in, yes, I give a considerable amount of money, time, effort, etc to several institutions, as well as hard-up, non-related individuals in my area).

Old 08-31-2009, 06:29 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,467,087 times
I agree with the first poster..fees or taxes whatever you call..its a burden on citizens.

I paid for 2 yrs of registration(renewal) to save money and what does the state do, they haven't sent me the decal and its been 3 1/2 weeks and now I personally have to go into a Tax Collector's office and sort this out..so much so for increase in fees and efficiency..

Old 08-31-2009, 06:33 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,935,359 times
And Social Security no increase two years.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:05 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,983 times
They had inspections at least 2 times I know of, it was hard to find workers to perform the inpections because who wants to smell fumes from cars backed up around the block in the FL heat all day. It was unpopular with residents as well.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:14 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times
Quote:
Also why does FL issue new plates? In CA you get a sticker in the mail which you put on the same plate.
They do give you a sticker most years, but you get a new plate I think every seven years. This is because the company that makes the reflective paint (3M I think) says that after that many years exposed to UV, the reflectiveness begins to not work as well, so they make you replace the plates on that schedule to ensure that the cops can read your plate easily.

As for the thing with the insurance I suppose I will say this again since you ignored me the first time and just keep asserting untruths. If your insurance lapses the insurance companies are required to notify the state and your license and registrations are automatically suspended. Even for a single day lapse. It is NOT cheap to get a car legal again, and you can not register a car without proof of insurance. It is not just a simple ticket and drive away when you get busted driving on a suspended license with no insurance.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:05 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Also why does FL issue new plates? In CA you get a sticker in the mail which you put on the same plate.

We just did our registration here last month, and they handed us a whole new plate. In addition to the cost of making the plate now it is more cumbersome to have change a plate rather than just put on a sticker.
In FL they have to keep the prison inmates busy so they make all the plates. Here in FL the inmates aren't allowed to lounge around all day giving interviews to the tabloids, playing softball, and weightlifting like they do in CA, they must work. Why do you think OJ is on his best behavior here? He don't want to go make plates.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:05 PM

428 posts, read 1,243,478 times
So working folk, those who own homes and cars, now have an even larger tax burden. Meanwhile, pan handlers that make $800 a week doing nothing but holding a cardboard sign... well, they still take home $800 a week. Totally tax free. That is over 41K a year which is equivalent to probably 65K for someone with a job who pays taxes. Brilliant. Great city to be a bum, bad city to be a working citizen.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:04 PM

161 posts, read 450,501 times
tjax,

as mentioned, these are fees, not taxes.

no one is stopping you from panhandling. if you want that under-the-table money, go get it.

also, florida has the cities ranked worst in the nation for homeless. however, in terms of taxes, you may want to do the research to compare our state against others; maybe these comparatively low taxes are one of the reasons that florida education is ranked one of the lowest in the nation.

further, up to 80% of homeless floridians have severe, debilitating mental illnesses, which make it impossible for them to work. they need help, however, because we cannot force them to take meds, situations can become incredibly difficult.

just a little info for those who might not be familiar with any homeless individuals on a personal, conversational level, or who aren't familiar with the statistics and science behind these real life situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: