Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2009, 02:20 PM

53 posts, read 566,091 times

Advertisements

Do Floridians drivers have a nice attitude toward sharing the roads with motorcyclists. In NY motorcycle riding is seasonal and there is no
animosity toward motorcycles. Now Bicyclist is another story.... With our anticipated move to Florida hubby is looking forward to riding to work instead of driving. Are your drivers courteous to riders. I know accidents happen but is there a high accident rate?
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 03:11 PM

12 posts, read 20,802 times
From my experience in Tampa, which honestly isnt that extensive, Tampa drivers are pretty aggressive. Although you being from New York I dont think thats something out of the ordinary?
Most of the time in Tampa, in my opinion, its just traffic so Id be careful because people do fly out of everywhere just to get where theyre going. But I dont think anyone would intentionally do something lifethreatening. If you mean curteous driving by remaining further behind the motorcycle and things like that, I think it really depends on the person driving.
Although, Im curious as to what other people have to say to this.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:28 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,213,545 times
There are motorcycle groups who ride together on the weekends. I know several ppl who ride their bikes to work..

Old 10-07-2009, 05:11 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,309,772 times
My complain to motorcyclists here is that they come up my bumper and are coming in and out of lanes out of control, I think it must be some kind of "show" they are trying to put up, but if you don't do that, expect that others will.

I stay away from motorcyclists because I am afraid of their actions which in most cases are very unpredictable!

Please remember that it does rain hard here and I usually feel pretty bad when I see these biker guys without helmets all soaked!!! usually sitting under an overpass waiting for the rain to stop......

Please do wear a helmet, for some reason (a very stupid one) it is NOT required that you wear one in FL.....

Also, in Orlando there is a HUGE community of bikers, there was a restaurant in Apopka on Main Street where every Thursday there were like hundreds if not thousands of bikers gathered up.....I have not seen as many in Tampa in our last 2 years here, but in Orlando there are LOT of bikers...

Also you should check out the Bike Fest in Daytona which is HUGE, my father in law has two bikes and we went to that festival in 2003 and it was WILD! but you will see the most GORGEOUS bikes EVER! Especially the Choppers.......JAW DROPPING! they have the most amazing paint jobs...

Courtesy wise tho, don't count on it.......if you happen to be in front of me, I will be wayyy back behind you, but others may not have the same mentality as I do about bikers......the site of you guys without helmets makes me want to get off at the first exit!!!

Old 10-07-2009, 07:27 PM

27 posts, read 94,807 times
I see alot of bikers out and about... I am somewhat new to the area, I am from Pittsburgh and I would say it(traffic, aggressive drivers) is very comparable to that area... crazy drivers are everywhere. People told me that turn signals are not used here, and I would say that it true. I have seen a lot more of drivers merging without signals here than up north.. so that would make me nervous on a bike. As Algia said, it rains here a alot, but usually not for long... but when it does it's usually extremely hard and sometimes I can't even see out of my car windshield...!

Old 10-07-2009, 07:40 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
Every week on Tampa Bay Online there are one or two motorcycle deaths. My issue with them is many ride here like they have no fear. Very foolish.

You have many elderly and poorly trained younger drivers here, yet many bikers ride like those around them have the skills to be able to react their riding.

Just an FYI, FL ranks number 1 in motorcycle deaths surpassing both CA and TX.

The best advice I ever heard was ride like everyone is out to kill you.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:42 AM

53 posts, read 566,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
My complain to motorcyclists here is that they come up my bumper and are coming in and out of lanes out of control, I think it must be some kind of "show" they are trying to put up, but if you don't do that, expect that others will.

I stay away from motorcyclists because I am afraid of their actions which in most cases are very unpredictable!

Please remember that it does rain hard here and I usually feel pretty bad when I see these biker guys without helmets all soaked!!! usually sitting under an overpass waiting for the rain to stop......

Please do wear a helmet, for some reason (a very stupid one) it is NOT required that you wear one in FL.....

Also, in Orlando there is a HUGE community of bikers, there was a restaurant in Apopka on Main Street where every Thursday there were like hundreds if not thousands of bikers gathered up.....I have not seen as many in Tampa in our last 2 years here, but in Orlando there are LOT of bikers...

Also you should check out the Bike Fest in Daytona which is HUGE, my father in law has two bikes and we went to that festival in 2003 and it was WILD! but you will see the most GORGEOUS bikes EVER! Especially the Choppers.......JAW DROPPING! they have the most amazing paint jobs...

Courtesy wise tho, don't count on it.......if you happen to be in front of me, I will be wayyy back behind you, but others may not have the same mentality as I do about bikers......the site of you guys without helmets makes me want to get off at the first exit!!!
Wow, I'm suprised no helmet is required. Especially with the speed limit there. NY is 55-65 mph. In New York helmets are required but I do see some that try to sneak not wearing one. I also cringe when I see them w/o it. I'm sure we will take that with us. We will also have a car so he should plan according. I also know that it can rain w/o notice so he'll take his chances
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay