Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2016, 11:24 AM

14 posts, read 11,643 times

Advertisements

We are heading down to treasure island feb. 24th. Can I get some info? Never been there. Whats the temps. like both air and water? Is it crazy crowded with snowbirds and whats some good places to eat and shop?
Thanks for any advice at all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 09:03 PM

988 posts, read 1,828,243 times
I lived in the area for approximately 5 months and worked at a hotel in TI (though now 3 years ago). Not a huge amount of time, but hopefully I can be of some help.

Temps - 75-80F air during the day, probably around 65F at night. Water temperature relatively cool given it is winter. I'd guess around the same temps? Beaches are overall nice, and some said they liked there was less walking from the street/hotel to the water (in other words, the beach wasn't a half mile of walking to put feet in water).

Treasure Island, like the barrier island towns, is almost exclusively geared to tourists going for the beach and sun. February is typically a time when northerners head down to escape some cold and snow. TI trends quieter and a bit more older tourists than, say, St. Pete Beach or Clearwater Beach (SPB is a five minute drive down Gulf Boulevard, Clearwater about 25 minutes north) . TI has traditionally held hard to holding it's "Old Florida" tourist feel, with city ordinances strongly geared to small mom-and-pop feel (at least relative to SPB and Clearwater) versus big mega-resorts. I've heard that is changed a bit with a new hotel development that was new and relatively large (though still had height restrictions). It isn't brutally crowded, but you'll likely have some traffic.

Shopping in the immediate area is either local strip malls or a 5 minute drive north to John's Pass. Shopping and food there, which is again all geared to tourists, so typical tourist souvenirs and beach gear. There are some relatively decent food options in John's Pass, all mostly casual dining. There is no upscale shopping that I recall. If that is what you're seeking, you're likely driving to either downtown St. Pete (for boutique shopping, at best), or back to Tampa and Westshore Mall.

In Treasure Island itself, my memory says Middle Grounds Grill is relatively more upscale and consistently received thumbs up by guests. A relatively short drive north on Gulf Blvd. is Indians Rocks Beach, and Rock Salt Grill was also more upscale and seemed to receive positive reviews.

If you want to go casual, no shortage of spots. A few I liked or heard good things about:

> Sloppy Joes (in the Bilmar Hotel) was popular and with beach views.
> Caddy's on the Beach also a casual option - food is at best medicore and beverages are probably overpriced, but it is literally on the beach. You can sit on tables with your feet in the sand if you wish.
> The Salty Rim has better food than Caddy's. Still casual and not literally on the beach, but it does sit in the pass so you're able to sit pretty much on the water outdoors. Occasionally you'll even see dolphins swimming in the pass.
> If you need just a good burger and beer in an atmosphere that's more or less outside, Willy's Burgers and Booze hits the spot.
> VIP Lounge - Basically a dive bar with relatively decent Mexican food - relatively popular with locals.

Treasure Island is typically pretty quiet by 10-11PM. If you are seeking nightlife, you'll be looking to St. Pete Beach or Clearwater Beach.

There's a start of info from my memory...

Old 12-04-2016, 05:56 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,054 times

Old 12-04-2016, 07:12 AM

14 posts, read 11,643 times
Thank you so much!! Thats a huge help. I appreciate it very much!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay