Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 05:52 AM

5 posts, read 24,596 times

Advertisements

Hello all! First of all thanks to those who responded to my previous post. I do have another question. Can some of you give some things about FL\Tampa area that you DON’T like? The upsides are obvious, but how about things one doesn’t normally think of when relocating. How about some things that a few months in you think “wow, I wish I would have known about THAT!?!?” I am coming from the Philadelphia\NJ area and some things I would tell someone coming here: NJ is a very corrupt, regulated state, which screws things up for its residents, tax wise, and public service wise. To do ANYTHING in this state you need a permit, inspection, tax, and fee. Philly’s public transportation is horrible, the city is dirty, smelly, and generally gross, the people are for the most part rude and have a lot of unwarranted attitude, the city government doesn’t take care of the city or its residents, auto insurance in NJ is the highest in the country and almost unaffordable, private health insurance (if you need it) is also unaffordable, taxes (sales, income, property are also exorbitant (which goes back to my slam on the corruption in gov’t). Finally most things up are “city-centric” meaning, there isn’t much to do unless you go into Philadelphia, where it is crowded, impossible to park, and overpriced, with nasty people. Ok I have ranted enough, but you get the idea, are there things I should keep in mind to expect once I get down there? Is it any wonder why I am moving? HA HA! Thanks and I can’t wait to get down there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 06:18 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,895,539 times
Welcome to sunny Florida!!
Most of your days will be sunny. Like today.....
Coming from NJ, where I also came when I moved here for the 2nd time,one thing that will strike you is that traffic is heavy and that ppl drive in a reckless way. So always be on the lookout for others who will from somewhere and just "cut" in front of you. It took a while for me to get used to this here.
Also, be on the lookout for speed traps on different areas everyday. The police needs their quotas...
there are traffic light cameras in various places around Tampa.Stop at the red lights!!
I'm sure many of the others will point out other matters to U.
You will have many things to enjoy here....
Welcome again!!

Old 03-01-2010, 11:54 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,248,462 times
Other than warmer weather it really isn't a whole lot different than the place you described.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:14 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
I'm with Ken....LOL

Wait till you "really" realize that everywhere you drive you end up on another beach!!!

You need permits here too for everything and taxes are not cheap, I don't know why people think they are?! It's a trade off...always a trade off...

Old 03-01-2010, 04:53 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,228,646 times
1: The endless heat and endless sunshine is torture. It reminds me of a Twilight Zone episode.
2: Our crooked state politicians make Jersey's look like choirboys. And they (or their clones) keep getting elected over and over.
3: You will literally take your life in your hands if you step off the sidewalk (or even on the sidewalk for that matter). Next to Houston, the most aggressive drivers I've seen.
4: Very iffy economy and sub-par pay. Very sub-par.
5: Don't forget hurricane season.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:10 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,607,924 times
Drivers are terrible. Really awful. I used to drive in NYC and it wasn't like this. I hate going on 275.

Be prepared to shell out a ton of money at the DMV. They tacked on new fees last September and I was shocked when they told me what I had to pay to transfer plates and get my license.

The culture is different. Everyone seems much more friendly than I am used to (in Michigan). I think it must be because MI is so cold and gray all the time. Maybe everyone has a vitamin D deficiency. So, this is a good thing, but it takes some getting used to.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:29 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,016,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magijasakymaro View Post
Drivers are terrible. Really awful. I used to drive in NYC and it wasn't like this. I hate going on 275.
That's because everyone from NYC decided to come down here .

Old 03-04-2010, 06:03 AM

872 posts, read 1,714,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
1: The endless heat and endless sunshine is torture. It reminds me of a Twilight Zone episode.
2: Our crooked state politicians make Jersey's look like choirboys. And they (or their clones) keep getting elected over and over.
3: You will literally take your life in your hands if you step off the sidewalk (or even on the sidewalk for that matter). Next to Houston, the most aggressive drivers I've seen.
4: Very iffy economy and sub-par pay. Very sub-par.
5: Don't forget hurricane season.
THis made me laugh, probably because so much of it is accurate especially #3

Old 03-04-2010, 06:20 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Coming from NJ you will think you accidentally landed in heaven.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:46 AM

357 posts, read 800,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Coming from NJ you will think you accidentally landed in heaven.

Yeah, we don't even have any toxic waste dumps around! Like others, you'll probably spend the first year thinking the area off the causeway where people jetski (and where they pump out processed feces) is a "nice beach", before you realize we have real beaches here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay