Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2010, 01:29 PM

258 posts, read 1,004,062 times

Advertisements

Im a laid off vocal music teacher currently living in Michigan, 24 years old, need any help determining what states are hiring vocal music teachers.. I realize with the economy the way it is, alot of music programs get cut, but after talking to an advisor today and realizing I dont want to go back to school for 4 more years to get just an elementary ed degree, I am deciding to move to wherever I can to get a job... what states are best for a vocal music teacher??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 06:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Well I will tell you a lot of layed off teachers came to Texas and now even the substitute lists are locked because so many certified teachers applied.

Texas has more than enough teachers that moved here from other states over the past 2-3 years.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:10 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,043,173 times
Still tons of open jobs in AZ schools. We are starting in a week with a few openings at the HS. My friend works in a district nearby adn they have 13 sped positions still open in the district and 6 jr high/ HS math spots still open. They start Monday! I know lots of people from MIchigan here.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:37 AM

9 posts, read 71,287 times
There will probably be stiff competition here, but it looks like Wisconsin posted a few music openings in the last couple of days. Below is their job posting site.

Wisconsin.gov - Employment - Job Seeker

Old 07-30-2010, 08:48 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well I will tell you a lot of layed off teachers came to Texas and now even the substitute lists are locked because so many certified teachers applied.

Texas has more than enough teachers that moved here from other states over the past 2-3 years.
And the districts here in the Dallas all stopped doing job fairs. A few years ago they had lines so long a day ahead of time it was NUTS! They were turning people away at the door. Throw in all the alt-cert people and they might as well go back to a different field besides teaching. I've got friends that taught in local districts that quit to stay home w/ their kids. The principals know them and THEY can not even get a job teaching right now. Only when a new school opens are there any openings and then it is not a full staff as the principal brings in teachers from schools they have been at.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:53 PM

Thats too bad because Texas has business type jobs, which is what the person I'm with is looking for.. and I figured I could get a teaching job there as well, because alot of people are moving there.. I guess subbing this year is the only option, besides moving to a farm state like iowa or the dakotas, which I have no interest in doing.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:35 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,865,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0681 View Post
Im a laid off vocal music teacher currently living in Michigan, 24 years old, need any help determining what states are hiring vocal music teachers.. I realize with the economy the way it is, alot of music programs get cut, but after talking to an advisor today and realizing I dont want to go back to school for 4 more years to get just an elementary ed degree, I am deciding to move to wherever I can to get a job... what states are best for a vocal music teacher??
Could you get a math, science, or special ed endorsement? These are the only areas that are really hiring. I am certified in elementary education and it really wasn't worth it because I can't find a job.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:41 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times
Look for fastest growing cities . they would be opening new schools.
City Mayors: Fastest growing US cities
When I visited a school in Phoenix they were not even on the GSP yet

Old 08-02-2010, 01:59 PM

it would take 4 more years to get a different specialization.. I think I'm gonna have to just look and see what is best out there for vocal music, as far as which states, I guess Ill just have to apply to any openings that come up..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching