Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 09:00 AM

17,874 posts, read 16,010,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Then why didn't you just test out of your grade level and into the next ?
That option does exist for those that know it already.
So there exists a test I could take, which upon if I pass, than they would have just given me my high school diploma?

Dang I was not aware of that. That is like the cops not telling me my Miranda Rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 09:11 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,846,872 times
Teachers can only do so much. After that it's up to kids to decide whether or not they want to meet the ol' failing grade.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:20 AM

4,388 posts, read 4,248,101 times
Quote:
Then why didn't you just test out of your grade level and into the next ?
That option does exist for those that know it already.
It's not uncommon for public schools to disallow such promotion. They don't want to deal with underage students in class. Everyone has to march lockstep except for the ones who fail. This is why I have 13-years and 20-year-olds in the same class. The youngest student is frequently the top student in the class.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:03 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,612,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
It's not uncommon for public schools to disallow such promotion. They don't want to deal with underage students in class. Everyone has to march lockstep except for the ones who fail. This is why I have 13-years and 20-year-olds in the same class. The youngest student is frequently the top student in the class.
It's allowed in Texas. A comprehensive test for each core subject and you have to pass each one with 90 or better.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:06 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,612,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
So there exists a test I could take, which upon if I pass, than they would have just given me my high school diploma?

Dang I was not aware of that. That is like the cops not telling me my Miranda Rights.
Yeah..it's called the GED and it's good in any college in the US for enrollment. You know it all by 16, then GED your way into college.
Texas allows it but I can't speak for your state.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:18 AM

4,388 posts, read 4,248,101 times
Quote:
It's allowed in Texas. A comprehensive test for each core subject and you have to pass each one with 90 or better.
Can you start this in elementary school? If so, then what about the kids who have mastered the middle school curriculum by age 7 or 8? Are they allowed to attend high school?

Old 11-12-2011, 11:20 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,533,280 times
it is not interest that spurs us on, it is discipline, obediance & respect. they havent got any. outlawed 50 years ago. thanks alot dr spock.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 11-12-2011 at 11:42 AM..

Old 11-12-2011, 01:21 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,586,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post

No "A" test, a test for every subject. You can test out of any subject. They're called placement tests. I think you'd still have to have the correct number of credits to graduate though (you'd just take higher level classes) but you could always just get a GED if you wanted to just test out.

I have to ask how far ahead they pushed you in high school. If you were so advanced, I'd think that the school would recognize it. My dd is advanced. They pushed her into high school classes starting in 7th grade. She'll run out of classes to take in 11th grade so they'll ship her off to the local community college to finish high school in the 12th grade. I see students pushed ahead all the time.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:37 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,240,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagitarrius48 View Post
You are both right and wrong. We still do have children/students who are smart and full of ingenuity and not lazy, and I deal with them on a daily basis. But unfortunately, they are slowly becoming the minority. And depending upon the field your DH is in, he may be dealing with those who are still in the majority. And may I ask what ages they are?? Just wondering, for I have really seen a decline from the 90's to now in the classroom.
DH works with people in their 20's and 30's. He's a Boomer.

I've got family members in school from elementary to college. They and their friends constantly impress me with how seriously they take their studies. My 12 year-old nephew is thinking about what classes to take in high school because he already has his heart set on a particular university.

Maybe my family is exceptional? I can accept that.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:43 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,010,858 times
Hey Ivory,

What state do you live in? Just curious.

I dont want to to portray myself as advanced. What does that mean anyways? If you do not have a mental handicap, we all have the same genetic capacity to understand math, language, logic, memorize data, conceptualize. All the levels of thinking that separate us from animals, excluding those of an artistic nature, all us can do equally as well as anyone else. What really separates us is discipline, and motivation.

When I was in high school, heck, even middle school. I knew what I wanted to know. I knew what questions to ask. But I had to follow what the teacher was doing. I had to wait until the teach arrived at something I wanted, and that happened sporadically. I found classes difficult for this reason, and not lacking the intellect to grasp the subject matter.

There were couple of kids on my town who eventually got shipped off to "better schools" like Bergen County Academies, or Bergen Tech, ehh something like that. I guess they would be what you consider "advanced". Having known those kids, I will tell you they are not advanced, they just fit the nerd stereotype, and they were "good students" FOR THAT GROUP OF TEACHERS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching