Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Many Hours?
0-5 8 17.78%
6-10 8 17.78%
11-15 10 22.22%
16-20 11 24.44%
21+ 8 17.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 08:22 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times

Advertisements

My wife and I figure we each average around 12-15 hours, but we come nowhere close to having everything done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 12:57 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
As far as I know, only lawyers are able to bill for time they spend "thinking" about their work.
Quite possibly, but it is still work and time dedicated to the classroom.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:53 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
For current teachers or those that have taught, about how many hours a week do you put in outside of the classroom during the school years?
It is hard to do by a week basis. In the winter I put in very few outside the classroom. Maybe 8 hours on grading and planning, and another 3 on an extracurricular activity. So 11 hours/week for December-February.

In the spring and fall, I typically put in two full saturdays (about 6-8 hours) a month plus an additional 4 or so on projects after school. So for March-June and September-November it is about 18-20 hrs/week.

In the summer (July and August), it varies depending on the projects. This year I have already but in 14 days, between 3-5 hours a day. So that is 12 hours or so a week, unpaid as well.

Over the course of a year that is 1380 hours. Our part time hourly rate is $26. If I had put in for those hours (minus the grading and planning ones) thats another 35K. Ok, maybe this is annoying to think about.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:50 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Grading has to be a nightmare for LA but the teacher who wins hands down on extra hours put in has got to be the band teacher. There should be a pay premium for band teachers. They don't have lives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Seriously. Our elementary band teacher has a half day contract, but she regularly puts in a full day, meets with kids before school, and has evening performances throughout the year.

Yeah, I'm a full time elementary teacher that also does band before school, choir after school, 8 concerts a year then I do other extra stuff. I took my school to a triple A baseball game where the students sang the National Anthem, State Choir concerts, etc....

I've previously taught middle school and high school. When I taught HS band, with marching band included, my stipend was only $2500 a year. My stipend now because I'm "only" an elementary teacher is $450, but I do receive funding from the money that my band and choir students pay to join those groups.

In my spare time I'm a Girl Scout leader, I help 50 other Girl Scout leaders in cookie sales, I'm beyond crazy I know.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:26 PM

45,407 posts, read 60,592,880 times
More than I like but less than some.

It's summer so I'm "off" but I've likely averaged 15 or 20 hours a week since June 11th (?). Fortunately I can do 90% of it from home and only had to go in to the building once for a meeting. Which was a wasted trip because who I had to go in and see (scheduled) took off that day.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:33 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
More than I like but less than some.

It's summer so I'm "off" but I've likely averaged 15 or 20 hours a week since June 11th (?). Fortunately I can do 90% of it from home and only had to go in to the building once for a meeting. Which was a wasted trip because who I had to go in and see (scheduled) took off that day.
It went off my radar on June 20 and won't be back on it until I set my alarm the evening of August 25.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:47 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Am I, seriously, the only person here who puts in over 21 hours per week outside of my contract hours?

I would expect that science teachers, LA teachers and music teachers would be putting in lots of hours.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:01 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Am I, seriously, the only person here who puts in over 21 hours per week outside of my contract hours?

I would expect that science teachers, LA teachers and music teachers would be putting in lots of hours.
Basically every elementary special educational teacher in my school district puts in 21 plus extra hours per week just on writing IEPs, reports and other paperwork.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:10 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:

Yes, you are putting in too many hours. You need to figure out how to streamline some of what you are doing before you drive yourself nuts. Sure, there are weeks I've had to put in more than an extra 20 hours, but there are also weeks I have put in almost none. Generally, I put in far more in the beginning of the year, and to a lesser extent the beginning of a new semester, than the rest of the year. I also put in more when I have unit exams and projects. One thing I suggest you start with is figuring out a way you are not spending so much time cleaning that glassware. Does your school allow student aides? That's how I took care of that issue and bulletin boards, our front office and library had aides that I borrowed once a week.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:06 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:

If you are then step back and think about it.
Maybe you're overdoing it.
And then getting upset over having too much work and not enough down time.
Maybe you're doing this to yourself.

Just food for thought.

Kids just need to know enough to pass the test.
They don't need to master every subject. That's what college is for and college majors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching