Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 02:42 PM

948 posts, read 3,356,646 times

Advertisements

Just wondering...I feel so tapped out as a parent. My kids have activities (girl scouts, sports, etc) and they have both done fundraisers for underprivileged kids which is a worthwhile cause this time of year. Those groups asked for purchases and money for the children.

Now, I've got notices from my kid's room parents that they're asking for more money for a gift for the teachers (in addition to the contribution asked for at the start of the year for parties, etc)

I can understand an end of the year gift, but just started wondering if teachers have expectations of receiving gifts from their classes at Christmas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 02:48 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
I don't but some do. I tell the kids (and this goes for the NHS kids who are supposed to buy a favorite teacher gifts during National Education Week) that the gift I want from them is to come back in a few years and tell me how well they're doing.

I get irritated by parents who have their kids drag stuff in to give me.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:51 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
I expect gifts at the end of the year, but not so much at Christmas. Now, please don't read "expect" meaning I think I am entitled to them. By "expect", I mean from experience that is usually when most families give us gifts or I receive a class gift. I guess you would say I typically anticipate more at the end of the school year. At this time of year kids usually bring in some cookies, a card, and the occasional gift card.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:51 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
I do not expect nor want gifts from students but they again I am a high school teacher. Actually that is not correct. I will hunt down one of my kids when it is "toffee season" and I know his mother is making her homemade toffee. It will be a sad day when he graduates and I will no longer be on the toffee list.

As for gifts, I frequently get giftcards for coffee or other small item but given the current economic climate please do not send them in this year. I know some families are not in a good place to be giving teachers gifts and it may just make them feel badly. If you really want to give something, maybe send in a baked good that I can share with my class.

Thanks!

Old 12-13-2010, 03:53 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
As a teacher, the best gifts for Christmas that I ever recieved was a card, with a small school picture. I kept all those pictures in a special album, in the classroom when I taught, and have it on my table at home now. That is still special to me, to look at those little faces, and remember each one.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:50 PM

2,596 posts, read 5,582,300 times
What I most appreciate is a nice handwritten note (from the student if they are old enough or the parent if they are not) just wishing me a happy holidays, telling me something they enjoyed learning, or why they enjoyed my class. Those mean the world to teachers, more than any apple trinket, gift card, etc.

I don't think giving anything that costs money is necessary, nor is it expected.

IF a student/parent wishes to make a gesture or give something, I would highly recommend the personal note. IF they wish to spend money (unnecessary), then I would only humbly suggest that it be a small gift card so the teacher can pick something out on their own at their leisure (like $5 to Starbucks), not a homemade ornament (many teachers have kids who want THEIR ornaments on the tree, not Mommy's students they don't know), trinket, apple stationary, a paperweight in the shape of an apple, or food unless you know (like with toffee guy) that the teacher would appreciate it.

Teachers get so many plates of cookies, fruitcakes, brownies, candy, etc that it's impossible to eat it all before it goes bad. Also, many of us are watching our weight, this time of year is awful for dieters, and it's hard to resist the temptation. Many of my colleagues simply thank the child, then pass the treats out to their next class to eat. Today our staff room was STUFFED with unwanted baked items teachers had put out on the counters. I feel bad for the parents that spent time baking that pumpkin bread or those brownies, but I can't eat it and lots of it ends up in the trash.

A nice note would cost nothing, waste nothing and would be most appreciated. Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:08 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
I don't expect gifts. I nice letter is appreciated at the end of the year. My first year teaching, I was so burned out by June. One of the English teachers had given an assignment to her classes to write a thank you letter to a favorite teacher. I got six of them. When I feel like teaching is wearing on me, I read them.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 12-13-2010 at 05:28 PM..

Old 12-13-2010, 07:44 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
We're giving my son's teacher a $25 Visa gift card, but that's probably not typical across the country.

I don't think any teacher expects to receive gifts and parents hopefully don't feel like they have to give gifts. I'm not going to lie and tell you they don't give me some very nice gifts. They do and they are appreciated. But it's not necessary.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:51 PM

608 posts, read 1,346,660 times
I tell my kids that the 2 weeks I am away from them is the best christmas present I could ever receive

Old 12-13-2010, 09:07 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
I like the "thank your favorite teacher" idea. I'll use that come June.

As for me, I don't expect gifts, but last year--my first year--I got some candy and a mug. At the end of the year, I got a tie. Most of all, I want to see how my kids end up.

But my favorite gift was when I was student teaching in Michigan. One of my kids--who was learning disabled and didn't have a lot to begin with--snuck into his parents' apple orchard before school and brought me two apples as a show of thanks for helping him out. To me I was just doing my job. It was a bigger deal to him. I never cry over anything anything, but I had to hold back the tears that day.

I wonder what other great gifts teachers got from their kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching